clear v/s coated for toms (EC2)

i am planning to reskin my toms. i like a deep warmer and bulky sound with LEAST RINGING OVERTONES.

so i am approaching the evans EC2s

can anyone tell me whether i choose clear or coated.

please tell me what exactly the clear and coated versions of the same head make the difference in sound?

thanking you

i am planning to reskin my toms. i like a deep warmer and bulky sound with LEAST RINGING OVERTONES.

so i am approaching the evans EC2s

can anyone tell me whether i choose clear or coated.

please tell me what exactly the clear and coated versions of the same head make the difference in sound?

thanking you

In order to avoid future comments on your vocabulary its called Replacing HEADS.
Clear will give you a "chick" "click" noise.
Coated will sounds warmer and won't really produce any stick noise.
(AND COATED ALWAYS LOOKS CLASSY!)

Coated equals warmer and less attack. Clear means more attack, more overtones.

Buy the particular heads that sound tonally best to you and eliminate most or all of the "pitch bending" harmonics by taking care to properly tune the drums. I don't really care for the "edge control" technology because it influences the resonance and sustain of the drums in a not-so-good, to my ears, way. I either use a clear 2 ply batter on my Tama Bubinga and Gretsch Renown drums or a single or 2 ply coated batter on the others. The coated heads of the same ply configurations will generally give you a more focused and slightly mellower sound.

Dennis

Be aware that the "coating" on the EC2s is a weird semi-transparent frosting (they look like someone cut up plastic milk jugs and stretched them over the drum), not the typical off-white, opaque skin-like coating. I just put these on my toms and didn't realize this when I ordered them, opened the box and was like WTF? They sound good to me tho so no worries.

I have an order for a set of clear ones. Although the coated gives them a bit less overtones, they also darken the pitch, and considering these heads are already very dark and warm, the coated version probably requires med/high to high tuning to get a good sound for rock.'

I am assuming you play rock because these are rock drumheads. If you don't play rock (or some form of it) then I would go with a different model.

Also, I'd be happy to let you know what I think of the clears, when I get them in a few days.

WOW ..really learn stuff on this site..I have always used G2 clears thinking they would give me the lowest tune for hard rock...guess I always equated coated as snare heads with there snappiness..this is cool cause I'm overdue new tom heads ..so for lower pitch with out the need for the penny size duct tape I use now I should go with G2 coateds instead of clears?

WOW ..really learn stuff on this site..I have always used G2 clears thinking they would give me the lowest tune for hard rock...guess I always equated coated as snare heads with there snappiness..this is cool cause I'm overdue new tom heads ..so for lower pitch with out the need for the penny size duct tape I use now I should go with G2 coateds instead of clears?
Yes coated will give you a warmer, deeper, and fuller tone. Where as clears will give you a sharper and "snappier" tone. However, USUALLY clears are used for hard rock, and coated are used for jazz, fusion, and similar styles. I say usually because many many hard rock drummers use coated toms, but most use clears.
Its really just a matter of opinion.

When head manufacturers first began to use Mylar instead of Calfskin to make heads they coated the heads to try and make the Mylar heads look and sound similar to Calfskin.

In the late 60s Evans made the first clear mylar heads.
They caught on and soon the Black Dot heads came out. Remo made the first Dot heads I believe.
All the head manufacturers began to introduce different versions of clear and semi clear heads.
Evans then came out with colored Hydraulic heads

Drummers now had many head options that they never had before.
I can remember how cool I thought I was when I bought my first Black Dot heads.
Now I use both clear and coated heads on my kits.

Back