Clyde Stubblefield

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
From Stanton Moore via Facebook

We just lost a GIANT...THE Funky Drummer, Clyde Stubblefield. Words cannot express the importance of his contributions to music and drumming. This pic is a screenshot from his solo at the Boston Gardens. Check out this YouTube link to see how his left hand changed what we do on the drums. Unbelievable! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDXrN-90p0. Clyde, you were a sweet human being and I loved our time together. You will be sorely missed...

RIP. Was just watching a bunch of James Brown vids the other day, admiring him. He gave so much to drumming.

RIP Funky Drummer...

I got to see Clyde twice in the past year or so. Most recently when he got inducted into the Guitar Center Rockwalk at the Drum Off Finals (along with Jabo Starks), as well as at the prior year's Drum Off Finals where he sat in with Robert Sput Searight's band.

RIP Clyde. I'm glad I got a chance to see him recently, but I wish I could have seen him play more. I don't know if anyone plays a tighter groove.

Wow, what a loss. He was a HUGE influence on me and his contribution to music can't be measured.

Groove on Clyde. The other side's a little funkier now.

Met Clyde at a blues bar in San Fran many years ago.
Impeccably dressed ,with a pencil thin mustache.
We were jamming with a guitar player named Honey Davis back in the 80's.
Didn't know who he was till Honeys wife mentioned he was James Brown's drummer.

I'm absolutely gutted about this news. He was a huge influence on me. A HUGE influence. I'll be taking this hard.

RIP Clyde.

Back