Vinnie Paul

secondXheartbeat said:
I read somewhere that he tapes silver dollars to his bass drum head instead of using like dots like normal, but I could be wrong . . .

I thought that was kind of weird, but it does explain why his kicks sound so unique.

As far as I know, he used 2 microphones on each bass drum

Two fo my freinds were at the show in Columbus that fateful nite. I was supposed to go but had band practice. I'm very happy to see Big Vin is easing back into it. A great drummer, a great band, a great shame. RIP DIME..........

Pantera is by far my fav metal band.
I used to play guitar, and since Dime's death (RIP), I started playing the drums.
VP is definitely an amazing drummer (not only speed and power, but groove as well).
I listened to Cowboys from Hell when I was like 15, and I got my @$$ kicked, then I listened to Vulgar, omg!! Then I listened to Far Beyond, and then the great southern trendkill, and then, and then Reinventing the Steel.
All that to say that I am a huge fan, and that each album kicked my @$$ more than the previous one!!

I saw them live twice, and they are really professional, and bring out a nice energy.

I love VP's drumming in a New Level...since everyone else already mentioned Becoming.

Vinnie = LOUD! Hes good!
BUT I have heard that Vinnie was guilty of using bass drum triggers... Dont know, just heard through the grapevine

I love Vinnie's work with Pantera. Listening to Cowboys from Hell changed the way I listened to drums on an album. I was also really excited to hear the new stuff coming out from Vinnie with HellYeah. It's different than what he's done before, but it sounds awesome!

I love Vinnie Paul. He defo changed the way i look at drumming and double bass drumming. Defo one o the best metal drummers of al time

I am hesitant to give my unfiltered opinion on the matter, due to the fact that I want unfiltered opinions that are not in response to my opinon. What I will acknowledge is... it really made me see Vinnie in a different light. In a negative way at that.

Following Pantera for years.... loving them, watching them split... only hearing rumours and opinons... then finally being able to hear Phil's words direcctly really shed some light on the matter.

I always thought that something was seriously wrong within the big picture of Pantera.... considering everything I ever heard about the split was always one-sided. That side being from Vinnie and somehow, Phil's side being closed quickly through publicists and lawyers tricks.

I know that VH1's "Behind The Music" is a show... and the goals are to get attention, ratings and compete with the other music broadcasting company. Being in Radio Broadcasting for a bit, I do understand the "Cut and Paste" method when it comes to telling a story. Thats why you see numerous "STORY WRITERS" in the credits of these shows. They are there to tell a story utilizing the information that they have on tape. Even if its used to flop the actual reality of what was said. But... its simple in my view. The things that were said.... WERE SAID. And, I understand the context of them... being that I am able to separate myself from the story telling process, and just listen to the words said.

But... I want others opinons on the matter... if they saw it.

I think the show was all in Vinne and DIme favour and was making out it was all phils fault

My birthday is the same as Madonna's :)
Mines Posh Spice

Vinnie = LOUD! Hes good!
BUT I have heard that Vinnie was guilty of using bass drum triggers... Dont know, just heard through the grapevine
He on one tour i dont no which one tho he triggered to his drums to the studio drum sound so his kit would just like the record

He was my main influence for double-pedal, and the majority of the metal drumming I do. I love doing the "becoming" type stuff with my feet :)

so I read somewhere that Vinnie uses triggers for his entire kit... true or not true? I know he at least uses them for his bass drum. My friends tell me it's not true but I dunno... I thought I'd ask you cats to see, in case you guys knew. Thanks!

so I read somewhere that Vinnie uses triggers for his entire kit... true or not true? I know he at least uses them for his bass drum. My friends tell me it's not true but I dunno... I thought I'd ask you cats to see, in case you guys knew. Thanks!

I read an interveiw with him and he said he used trigger on a few tours. He sampled his drum in the studio and triggered them on tour so he had the same sound he had in studio and on the road! the interveiw never said which tours he did it on tho!!!

Vinnie is a god. I got to meet him once, nice guy. He signed my snare drum head which is now hanging on my wall of fame =D

Anyway, it really had to suck to be Vinnie. His own brother was shot ON STAGE right infront of him. Seeing your own brother die right infront of you is quite hard.

i like his style, especially his clicky bass drums. his toms seem to be very deep though.
has anyone heard of his new band hell yeah?

i like his style, especially his clicky bass drums. his toms seem to be very deep though.
has anyone heard of his new band hell yeah?

14x14 and 15x15 rack toms can be deep at times ^_^

Hellyeah is pretty good, I liked his work in Pantera and DamagePlan better though. Although, Pantera is my favorite.

Last edited:
Vinnie Paul is an incredible drummer, all his grooves have distinctive "chunky" sound to them, they all sound rather big and menacing. Even though his drumming is great with HELLYEAH, that band really sucks. I still love his work with Pantera though.

My former band's producer, Bernard Alexander, helped with stuff backstage for Damage Plan in Deteroit and said Vinnie used an Alesis DM-Pro as a sound module. He triggered all his drums, according to Bernie.

Necrothread!!!!!!!!

I just finished reading Rex Brown's biography. Very interesting and not at all flattering towards Big Vin.
I still love Pantera and listen to them on a near daily basis; 'Vulgar' gets me through a lot of bad stuff.

A nice overview though wished they mentioned Reinventing the Steel and Power Metal, both have incredible performances

Last edited:
Back