John Blackwell

Re: John Blackwell on Australia Bert Newton Morning Show

think so too, he's defnitly the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!

I too was there at his recent Australian clinic tour.
He certainly hits the drums hard, were't they selling earplugs for like $2 that night? :D

The man has great technique as well as being a groover.

Nice guy too.

Re: John Blackwell on Australia Bert Newton Morning Show

mellis said:
John Blackwell came down for a few drum clinics in australia. I was happy to be the theatre technician at kaliede when he came down to melbourne. The day after he did the clinic he appeared on bert, a melbourne tv show, with some of melbournes many great musoes. I recorded that session and have it avaliable to download.
They play a prince classic

http://www.mellisdesigns.com/blackwell

Its a high quality 80mb divX file. It is a great session that runs for about 4 minutes and 40 seconds.

Is this the same video that Bernhard just posted?

Thanks for the support guys. Only giving the community a better understanding of how good this guy really is!

The band that he played with were session artists from Melbourne, Australia. The song that they are playing is 'Prince - The Everlasting Now'

Enjoy

Mitch

MELLISdesigns.com

I saw Blackwell's clinic in Sydney last week.. and I was gobsmacked.... he is an awesome drummer, his delivery was sensational, and a very funny clinican.. some of the things he did.. I was left thinking.. How the F**k did he do that??? LOL

If anyone gets a chance to see him live... go!!!! It'll be one of the best clinics you will ever see.

Hey theres plenty of us in this thread lol! Man I wish I could go to those clinics and stuff but I live in Far North Qld...I am going to move down to brisbane in a year maybe so then i can go to all the awesome clinics....until then...think im just gonna cry lol.

Hey,

John is one the greatest! Really love his kit and his playing.
I want to know what kind heads he uses on all of his kits. Does anybody know somethin about that? I also want to know kind of snare he uses on drummerworld.
Could somebody give me some advice.

Thank you,
and see some other time

A lot to see, hear, think

Regarding A Lot To See's question about heads. . .
On the DVD, as far as I know, this is his kit and head setup:
10x8, 12x8 rack toms, 13x13, 14x14, 16x16 floor toms, 22x18 bass drum, 13x5.5 snare drum. Evans clear heads (G2 top/G1 bottom) on toms, Power Center Reverse Dot (or coated G1) on snare, clear EMAD on bass drum.
Hope this helps!

he's one funky drummer, fo' sho'.

there was a pretty good interview with him in the berklee alum magazine, where he talks about how he almost quit drums after his daughter passed. apparently, prince was instrumental in helping him get back on track with playing.

i love his showmanship and fluidity. he just looks like he's having a great time playing, which is always cool to see.

some nice news on the child front is that he and his wife are now the proud parents of twins.

I really like John's playing style and he's in a great band !! I might be going to see him in clinc on 6th of April ... can't wait !

-Chris

cdawg_2010 said:
i really like his playing!! i think hes a great funk drummer, but does anyone know why he has his china way up in the air and behind him like that in the videos on here

Yes of course: It's Showmanship - for moving around and sticktwirling.

Just yesterday I entered a packed up hall (...in Frankfurt) and I had a very bad sight to the stage. The only thing I saw was this crazy China and Johns sticks flying around.

Bernhard

Attachments

• johnblackwell.jpg
    johnblackwell.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 790
The "Funky John" Video on this site truly leaves me picking up my jaw off of the floor. How he keeps the hi-hat and snare going throughout the song while twirling his sticks crashing and cymbal mutes. A truly "tight" drummer.

Poncho86 said:
The "Funky John" Video on this site truly leaves me picking up my jaw off of the floor. How he keeps the hi-hat and snare going throughout the song while twirling his sticks crashing and cymbal mutes. A truly "tight" drummer.

talk about showmanship... wow

John Blackwell is my favorite drummer at the moment. I love his DVD, it awesome! Hes so tight and funky. Really Fast right foot too

Back