Pat Petrillo here!

Pat, I just read your hands grooves and fills article in the Jason Bonham issue of modern drummer, Loved the six stroke exersise and I brought it to practice and my teacher was blown away with my exercise and control of just practicing that for only 1 week!, I will be picking up a copy of HG&F from you soon, thanks for the awesome dedication to the community.

Peace bro and hope to see more of you in the future.

Hi!

I was wondering, what kind of drums do you use? And what kind of drumheads do you use on Hands, grooves and fills?

cheers

Sondre

Pat, I just read your hands grooves and fills article in the Jason Bonham issue of modern drummer, Loved the six stroke exersise and I brought it to practice and my teacher was blown away with my exercise and control of just practicing that for only 1 week!, I will be picking up a copy of HG&F from you soon, thanks for the awesome dedication to the community.

Peace bro and hope to see more of you in the future.

JayP

YES! Those 6 stroke roll fills work in many situations. Let me know what you think of H,G&F when you get it!

Thanks again!

Hi!

I was wondering, what kind of drums do you use? And what kind of drumheads do you use on Hands, grooves and fills?

cheers

Sondre

Sondre

I am endorsing the new Ludwig drums, and they sound great. They are the classic maples, 10, 12, 14 floor, 20 Kik. I think a good maple drum with great edges from most companies will sound really good.

The heads on "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" are Clear Remo Emperors. I tune the drums in the middle of the range, so that they really sing out. My sound tends to be fat because of the tuning, but also the way I hit and rebound from the drums. The sound id "pulled" out of the drum, so the approach is very important

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy "H,G&F"!

All the Best

Hi Pat,

Enjoying H.G&F very much. A quick question. Right now I have only been working with the 5 warm-up exercises and making some progress. Would you suggest mastering those warm-ups prior to moving on or do you think I should only spend a certain amount of time on the warm-ups each time I open the book and then move on? How would you advise working with the book?

Thanks again,

Pete

By the way, how do you tune your bassdrum? It sounds really good! (on the H,G and F dvd)

D;

The Bass Drum is tuned fairly loose, just a couple of turns above the wrinkle spot, with Remo Mufflers inside, touching each head.

The head on this was an Aquarian SuperKik, but, since Remo has come out with the PowerSonic, that's what I use and endorse.

All the Best!

Hi Pat,

Enjoying H.G&F very much. A quick question. Right now I have only been working with the 5 warm-up exercises and making some progress. Would you suggest mastering those warm-ups prior to moving on or do you think I should only spend a certain amount of time on the warm-ups each time I open the book and then move on? How would you advise working with the book?

Thanks again,

Pete

Pete

I did a series of excerpts in Modern Drummer (with more to come), on this very subject, that "H,G, & F" in concept was designed to work on all three of these important elements SIMULTANEOUSLY. So, do the hand warm up section, then do some diddle combos in the rudiment section, and do a couple RC grooves, a couple "Essential Ghost Grooves", and start doing a couple "Rhythmic Inspiration" or split 16th fill ideas.

You don't have to "master" each section to move on. Do a couple things at the same tiime to improve your overall game!

Thanks for enjoying "H, G & F"!

Thanks Pat I appreciate the follow up. By the way I am having a ball with the play alongs. I notice that they all count you in with 4 beeps but when I listen to some of them I have trouble with the count? Are all the play alongs in 4/4 and is it just the accents / kicks etc throwing me off?

The p4 is great too.

Will you be in the Boston area anytime soon?

Thanks again,

Pete,

Pat,

First let me say thank you for getting back to me. I am aware that your time is very valuable with family and business commitments. It's nice to know there are professionals like yourself out there who really care.

Now to get back to the book...Where was I? oh yeah RLLR LRRL

Thanks for the video link will check them out after practice.

Pete

Hey Everyone

Just a quick note that there are FREE download video clips, pdf charts and hand exercises from "hands, Grooves, & Fills" up at the Hudson Music site in the Woodshed section!

www.hudsonmusic.com

If you like it, you can order it on line!

Thanks again, and enjoy!

Pat

Hey Jason

AWESOME...You LOVE that exercise, don't you ! :)

Go to the Rudiment TAB Section, roll and drag combos, and there are great roll combinations there as well to work thru

I will be back out there JUNE 1 - 9, can we do a day of lessons/classes at your studio?

I now always start my warm ups with the "Diddle Combo" and love the simplicity and endurance building of the "Roll in Rhythm" which I've adapted slightly, adding an extra double to the end of the 17 (making it a 19 I guess) allowing me to swop the leading hand. For some strange reason I find the six stroke roll very difficult leading with my right hand but not with my left. I would have thought it would be the other way round being right handed. One question Pat. Is it natural to experience difficulty getting up to speed on some rudiments and not on others? I can burn up the fives, sevens, drag taps etc but remain sluggish on paradiddles and anything with a flam in it.

Last edited:
Pywacket

Hi! Yes, it is normal for some things to come easier than others. In regards to the sluggishness on diddles and flams, both of those rudiments require that you a have soft and low diddles, or in the case of flams, the grace note. That will come by relaxing those notes and "dropping" them in softly and smoothly. It's basically a phrasing issue. Be sure to watch the DVD on the execution of diddles, the "whip/drop" motion..(aka...YIKES ! ...Moeller) This should help the flams.

Keep me posted...

PS..I will be back in the UK June 1-8..I will post the locations, maybe we can do lessons..

Pat

Hi Pat!! It's so great to be able to talk to you! I have been using your book and DVD for the past 4 months or so.. and it has helped me improve my drumming more than anything else :) If I had the chance I would go to one of your clinics, but I live in New Zealand -When are you coming here?!!

Anyway, a question about double strokes: you mention in the book that you don't 'pull' the second stroke, but the way my teacher has taught me is to use a 'push-pull' technique i.e. using the fingers to pull the stick towards the palm to create the second stroke. However I find that this way of doing doubles really strains the tendons on the back of my hand. So could you please explain to me in more detail how to do a proper double stroke roll? Thanks.

Btw I have never seen a drummer who can groove like you do on the DVD.. the musical performances are awesome! You're the best :)

Reuven

Also when are you going to release another instructional book? I can't wait for more material from you because I find your teaching style on the DVD very comprehensive, easy-to-follow etc

Hi Pat!! It's so great to be able to talk to you! I have been using your book and DVD for the past 4 months or so.. and it has helped me improve my drumming more than anything else :) If I had the chance I would go to one of your clinics, but I live in New Zealand -When are you coming here?!!

Anyway, a question about double strokes: you mention in the book that you don't 'pull' the second stroke, but the way my teacher has taught me is to use a 'push-pull' technique i.e. using the fingers to pull the stick towards the palm to create the second stroke. However I find that this way of doing doubles really strains the tendons on the back of my hand. So could you please explain to me in more detail how to do a proper double stroke roll? Thanks.

Btw I have never seen a drummer who can groove like you do on the DVD.. the musical performances are awesome! You're the best :)

Reuven

I used to be the same way!!

Now that I take lessons with Pat, my technique has taken a complete 180. My hands and forearms no longer hurt and I have more control of the stick.

I'll let Pat answer with his 'expertise' but in learning how to play rudiments and get that "FLOW" goin with the hands, you don't use any fingers or force a second note with your hands.. Think of dribbling a basketball. You use your hands and forearms to create that "undulating" motion.. Almost like a wave.

Now put the sticks in your hands, play on the pad, and keep that dribbling motion going. The natural rebound of the stick will create the upstroke. Now keep your hands down for a split second and that second bounce will come by itself! Sorry if my explanation isn't clear, certainly in person it would make sense! :)

Back