Brian Blade

I love Brian Blade's playing.

His work on Joshua Redmans's "Elastic" and "Momentum" are amazing. You can instantly recognize his sound.

His solo project ("Fellowship") also sounds amazing. He's one of my favourite jazz drummers and one of my overall all-time favourites in general.

Dill, you mentioned his "fellowhip" group. Have you heard the 'Perceptual' full length? It was recommended to me a few weeks ago and it totally blew me away. I had really been that exposed to Mr. Blade's playing, but its absolutely spectacular on this record. It's not too drum heavy at all, its just really expertly composed and performed music. Great find.

Brian is in my opinion the most versatile drummer today. Just check out how many heavyweights he has been called to play with. He's been around for at least ten years albeit under the radar until recently. I have seen him play a number of times and each time I was floored on the amount of humanity and reverence for music he displays. I met him one and he was a very kind and humble person. His drums sound is so good too. Dig that old, cracked Avedis 24" with the bolts in it!

Brian Blade is without a doubt one the the greats. I've seen him twice and he always leaves me truely inspired. He is one of those players that is a Musician first drummer second. Not that the guy doesn't have great chops, but he is one of the most musical drummers I have ever heard.

Brian Blade=Ultimate Badass

If any of you have not heard of Brian Blade, I suggest you go pick up The Wayne Shorter Quartet's "Beyond the Sound Barrier". I picked up the album on a whim because i heard that Brian Blade was good (not to mention Wayne Shorter isnt so bad himself). This album contains some of the best dynamic playing that i have ever heard. GO PICK IT UP!!!

Re: Brian Blade=Ultimate Badass

It may be the best that u ever heard, but maybe not us. Neil peart has awesome dynamics and so does Tony willaims and Buddy Rich. But if in your opinion its the best, I will not agree or disaggree. : )

Re: Brian Blade=Ultimate Badass

Tama Player, you obviously don't know who Brian Blade is then?! A Neil Peart comparison is totally inappropriate.

CBlanton, I totally agree, Blade is an absolute monster. Well worth checking out live.

Last edited:
I love Brian Blade's playing as well. The Elastic and Momentum albums with Joshua Redman ar great. I'm trying to decide what other ones to get. I find that to really appreciate Brian's playing I have to listen with headphones. The subtleties and dynamics he uses are just awesome.

Steve

I hear you. Very subtle. I love Momentum. I heard a cut from it on Pandora first and he sounded familiar. Sounded similar to Marcus Baylor - Yellowjackets in his hi-hat phrasing. Marcus is another very subtle drummer. What he plays sounds simple, but when you listen close, it's quite complex.

Blade was just here in town with John Patitucci to kick off his new album "Line By Line." Unfortunately, I couldn't make it...:-(

murphinelli said:
I hear you. Very subtle. I love Momentum. I heard a cut from it on Pandora first and he sounded familiar. Sounded similar to Marcus Baylor - Yellowjackets in his hi-hat phrasing. Marcus is another very subtle drummer. What he plays sounds simple, but when you listen close, it's quite complex.

Blade was just here in town with John Patitucci to kick off his new album "Line By Line." Unfortunately, I couldn't make it...:-(

I didn't know about the new album. I will have to check it out. Thanks!

Steve

Really good jazz drummer. I love the sound of his drums. Canopus last time I checked. Didn't he play with Dave Matthews for a while? I think he did, and sounded pretty awesome with Dave.

The opening track Kenny Garrett's Beyond the Wall...good lord. Thats like the deepest swing I've heard in forever. Brian and Mulgrew Miller sit so far back on that track. The whole record is great, but those first two songs are brilliant.

Yeah Brian is one of my drumheroe.
Of course, Beyond the wall is very interesting, I like the second track! Plus, I'm saxophoneplayer too! I like Pharoah Sanders a lot!
But his project with Wolfang Mutschpiel is very great too ( they play standards)

Keep Swingin'
Antoine

yo yo, bb fans,

go get yourself a copy of kenny werner's lawn chair society
excellent album! featuring some excellent, moving compositions and excellent bb playing. my new favorite kenny werner album.

btw, hoping to go see joshua redman, brian blade, and christian mcbride in a couple weeks. talk about an all-star trio!

-murph

Back