Looking for a thick, focused snare sound, but not muffled

daredrummer

Gold Member
I am looking for the perfect snare sound for my 12" musashi. My favorite head so far is the remo controlled sound x. It had nice sustain and is very focused, however I think it sounds a little thin. The 12" emperor was plently thick, but it lost the focus that the dot has. I was considering the emperor x, but I had a feeling it would be too thick, and I would lose some of the sustain.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Do you find the EC1 from Evans or Texture Coated w/ power dot from aquarian to have a thicker sound than the remo controlled x?

Or the other way, do you find the EC2 from Evans or the Hi-Energy from aquarian to not be as muffled as the emperor x?

Thanks for any help.

I am looking for the perfect snare sound for my 12" musashi. My favorite head so far is the remo controlled sound x. It had nice sustain and is very focused, however I think it sounds a little thin. The 12" emperor was plently thick, but it lost the focus that the dot has. I was considering the emperor x, but I had a feeling it would be too thick, and I would lose some of the sustain.

Do you find the EC1 from Evans or Texture Coated w/ power dot from aquarian to have a thicker sound than the remo controlled x?

Or the other way, do you find the EC2 from Evans or the Hi-Energy from aquarian to not be as muffled as the emperor x?

Thanks for any help.

I have used and love the Emperor X. I would definitely say that you won't be wasting your time to at least try that head out.

Another choice might be a Powerstroke. Really fantastic drumhead.

Good luck!

-Kyle

I have used and love the Emperor X. I would definitely say that you won't be wasting your time to at least try that head out.

Another choice might be a Powerstroke. Really fantastic drumhead.

Good luck!

-Kyle

I had an emperor x on my 14", and I liked it a fair bit. I'm afraid it might be too thick for a little 12" though. The powerstrke 3 us usually my prefered snare head, but it wasn't the sound I was going for on this drum.

I had an emperor x on my 14", and I liked it a fair bit. I'm afraid it might be too thick for a little 12" though. The powerstrke 3 us usually my prefered snare head, but it wasn't the sound I was going for on this drum.

Maybe you could just use the regular Emperor with a bit of tape or moongel. That set up gives me a thick sound with out killing tone. Though I play a 14".

I really don't have that much experience with a Evans or Aquarian, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Evans Genera Dry, or ST Dry heads.

Aquarian coated studio x batter with a classic clear snare side reso.

PS: Forgot to mention I use this combo on my maple 14x6 and my maple 12x6 and use to use it on my brass 13x3

Last edited:
Aquarian coated studio x batter with a classic clear snare side reso.

Good choice, I think you can also get it with an underside dot which might focus it a bit more.

I find that hitting a (properly tuned) coated Remo CS Underside Dot in dead center can give a fat tone. This gives you the single ply response to the side but a fatter focused sound in the middle.

You have to take care with a drum this small in diameter. It can get overly tempered with a head that would be fine on a 14" size drum.

Jim

I'd put either a coated Powerstroke3 on that drum, or an Evans Genera HD Dry ... but that's just me.​

Check out the Evans Genera. It's a 10mil head with a 2mil overtone control ring around the outer edge on the bottom side. It sounds open and responsive. If you want to increase the focus, go with the Genera Dry. It has vent holes around the perimeter that allow air to escape.

Cheers!

Thanks for any help.

Try the Aquarian Focus-X. Sounds like what you are looking for. Here's some info :

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/focus-x

Back