Sabian vs. Zildjian

FFFF

If we were to compare Sabian and Zildjian's low end cymbals in overall(sound, price, etc.)
is this how it goes?

Sabian = Zildjian
B8 = ZBT
B8 Pro = ZXT
XS20 = ZHT
Sonically Matched = Avedis

This is because I'm considering which box set I should get to match my XS20 crash: ZXT pro or ZHT pro. The XS20 set costs a bit more, that's why I'm considering Zildjians since they cost less. Which set is best to match the XS20?
Also any advice will be appreciated.

Im not really how they would compare the way you showed (exp. B8 = ZBT), but if you compare it like that, i belive the ZB/H/XT's completley own the sabian counterparts you mentioned. For such low end cymbals, i dont actually think they are that bad. I recorded with them once, sounded great.

Sorry?

The reason XS20's are more expensive is because of the alloy used. It's the B20 alloy that's used on the more expensive Sabians. The ZXT's use B8 alloy and the ZHT use B12. I'm yet to be impressed with a single low-end Zildjian cymbal. Ever.

Avedis aren't low end cymbals, but whatever.

The XS20 use B20 I think, which is why they're more expensive.

Do you really need to get a box set? You should look at a set of high quality hats and a ride (second hand or new, depending on your budget). If you get the box set, as I did years ago, you're just going to want to upgrade them some day. Save yourself the initial expenditure and aim straight for top-line hats or ride.

And most importantly, don't limit yourself to just Zildjian and Sabian. Also look at Paiste, Meinl, Bosphorus, Istanbul, Saluda, Masterworks, Dream.....

I'm not really sure what the sonically matched cymbal lin you refer to is. Pro sonix maybe? Anyways the avedis equivilant are the Sabian AAs, both these cymbals use b20 and are good quality. As for the zildjian "owning" sabian's beginnaer cymbals I would say neither are better. They are both low end and should'nt be expected to be much. The meinl mcs cymbals are good starter cymbals. I could understand you wanting to get a crash ride and hi hat at the sametime so maybe look into the MCS pack. The sabian B8s and B8 pros are fine as are the ZXTs and ZBTs if your just starting.

Well I'm kind of a beginner-intermediate level player, looking for affordable cymbals that sound good and could last me a while. I'm very happy with my XS20 crash. The sound almost matches the Sabian Hand Hammered crash in my school.

@Ozzy Biz
I'll probably stick to box sets, since you get a whole better deal off them. I'm not looking for excellent sound, just ones that sound good enough for gigs and maybe recording.
Also, I'm super broke; selling my bike for cymbals.

@the.tree
I'm actually looking at 4 cymbals sets(hats, crash, ride). I can't find a closeby Meinl dealer, so shipping from internet stores will cost a lot. Other dealers sell them quite pricey, compared to where I'm buying.

@Class A Drummer
Which specific ones did you recorded with?

I did a soundcheck of the XS20 vs ZHT.
Both rides sound pretty weak- they lack clarity, and they sound like they will ring a lot.
The XS20 crash definitely beats the ZHT.
Both hats sound great, but I prefer the sound from ZHT.

Prices: XS20=$350CAD ZHT=$320CAD

I like the sounds from ZXTs as well,which is $280CAD.

I'm pretty sure I'm only down to hese 3.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention. I play jazz, combo usually, and contemporary pop/rock.

Which would be the best?

Last edited:
yes the xs20's are b20
You should look into the sabian pro sonix. I have one, it’s a b8 but it cuts and it seems very durable! I nvr had any luck with zbt or any other low end zildjian offers. Sabian in my opinion has much better cymbals all around! I would go with xs20’s or pro sonix or b8 pro. They all work for me.

If you already have XS20, get an XS20 box set. For one thing, you might not like how the ZHT/ZBT's fit with the cymbal, especially because of the difference in alloy, but because you'll have a good set of cymbals that should last you for quite some time. Not one good crash and a set of lousy cymbals that might not last long. The low end zildjians have never impressed me in sound and durability. Even the Sabian B8's would be my first choice if I had to pick between them. Yes they don't sound the best either, but they'll leaps and bounds over the low end Zildjian in the sound and durability department IMO.

I don`t like to compare all that Sabian stuff with the Zildjian stuff. For example I like XS20 and ZHT as beginner sets...everything has its advantages and its disadvantages.
In the end XS20 impress me more for the buck.

...and keep in mind that (when purchasing it normally) you usually pay what you get...unfortunatly sometimes more. For example sometimes you pay extra money for names if you know what I mean.

PS: For this reason I checked out DREAM cymbal sound samples recently and I love them, so why not saving up for some Dream cymbals?

Karl

I'm thinking that if you are playing some jazz, then you really need to consider moving beyond the 'entry level,', and start looking at some higher-end cymbals. For jazz and contemporary rock, I would certainly consider looking for some used vintage cymbals. Maybe some 60s-70s zildjians, which can be had for pretty good pricing. I would watch eBay, and check my site (link below). Keep an eye out in your local music stores for used gear, even check some pawn shops. In the end you'll pay similar pricing as you do with the 'new' entry level gear, and you're going to have higher end cymbals that will last longer.

I prefer Sabians over Zildjians myself. I just thought I could try out a different brand for once(since I've only been playing with Sabians).

So everyone's on Sabian? Maybe I should stick to XS20 I guess?
The only thing I'm not quite happy with the XS20 set is the ride. It's just not strong enough.

I talked to my local shops. Three of them; no Dream cymbals.

@fooleeze
So I should try some vintage cymbals? I don't know if I can get 3 cymbals at a price equivalent to those low end ones. Also shipping might be a bigger concern.

If your budget only limits you to low end cymbals, then i'd say get the sabians, particularly the xs20's cause the alloy really makes a big difference. I've played and owned both sabian and zildjian low ends, and i absolutely hate low end zildjians (zbt and zxt) with fiery passions. sabian's low ends, on the other hand, are actually tolerable with me. Just listen to them. My ears love the sabians much more; they don't sound like banging on tin cans.

Yeah...I also heard that XS20s will sound better overtime, since it's B20.

I guess I'll stick to XS20 then.

@fooleeze
So I should try some vintage cymbals? I don't know if I can get 3 cymbals at a price equivalent to those low end ones. Also shipping might be a bigger concern.

I guess shipping could be a concern, depending on where you are located. But If you're patient and keep your eye out for the cymbals you want, you can get a Hat, crash & ride in something like a Sabian AA, or Zildjian A on eBay and/or my site for the $300 - $400 range. I've done it countless times, so I know it can be done. For example:

A Sabian AA 17" Med-Thin Crash, $85 shipped in the US:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160095462517

Vintage Zildjian A 14" Hats, $145 shipped in the US:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320092255007

20" Sabian AAX Stage Ride, $90 + Shipping:
http://www.cymbalcellar.com/catalogdetail.php?cymbid=157

16" Sabian AAX Dark Crash, $110 + Shipping:
http://www.cymbalcellar.com/catalogdetail.php?cymbid=185

These are just a few examples that are available right now. Just keep your eye out, and it can be done. If you are located outside of the US, which I think you are, many people will ship internationally for resonable pricing (including me). As for the Dream cymbals, check out www.frontrangebronze.com. These are becoming popular cymbals, with wicked-low pricing.

man, i've recorded and gigged with bloody planet z's without any insults or complaints. solars, however........ *vomit* (sorry, that's waaay too low end...)
also, if you're still set on a box set, look into paiste pst5's. they're pretty cheap, and i heard a pst5 crash at a gig the other day, it sounded as good as the xs20 next to it. or maybe even alphas... chris hornbrook from poison the well uses them, and i thought they sounded like pretty high up there cymbals.. then i found out they were alphas, which are like b8 sheet metal..... it was a spinout....

I hated my PST5 crash and sold is soon after I got it. There's almost no attack, it just rings.

I guess shipping could be a concern, depending on where you are located. But If you're patient and keep your eye out for the cymbals you want, you can get a Hat, crash & ride in something like a Sabian AA, or Zildjian A on eBay and/or my site for the $300 - $400 range. I've done it countless times, so I know it can be done. For example:

A Sabian AA 17" Med-Thin Crash, $85 shipped in the US:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160095462517

Vintage Zildjian A 14" Hats, $145 shipped in the US:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320092255007

20" Sabian AAX Stage Ride, $90 + Shipping:
http://www.cymbalcellar.com/catalogdetail.php?cymbid=157

16" Sabian AAX Dark Crash, $110 + Shipping:
http://www.cymbalcellar.com/catalogdetail.php?cymbid=185

These are just a few examples that are available right now. Just keep your eye out, and it can be done. If you are located outside of the US, which I think you are, many people will ship internationally for resonable pricing (including me). As for the Dream cymbals, check out www.frontrangebronze.com. These are becoming popular cymbals, with wicked-low pricing.

Man, those Dream cymbals are affordable! But judging from the weight, I'm not sure if they can suit my playing. It might be too specific. They seem like thin cymbals, best for combo jazz. I do play combo, but I also play stuff like Led Zeppelin, even Deep Purple, or Chilli Peppers. I'm not sure they can last through the playing...

Those PST5s sound too solid for me. They do lack attack.

Paiste makes the best entry level cymbals, imo. All of their cymbals sound better than the Sabian and Zildjian counterparts. Meinl comes in 2nd with their MCS/HCS series.

I second that about the paiste... The PST 5 are super sounding for their price. There are cymbals at a really good price that sound amazing, like the Wuhan New Traditionals and Istanbul Agop Xist. Check them out?

Back