Gospel Drum Books

if you mean the style of play that is recently popularly known as "Gospel Drumming"....I recommend the book by Gary Chaffee Linear Time Playing, amazing book and a lot of the "Gospel" players credit this book..... listen to a lot of Vinnie Colaiuta and David Garibaldi

they basically gave birth to that style of play

Hudson Music also put out a decent DVD called Gospel and R&B Drumming Ultimate Drum Lesson

the DVD is not great....basically snippets of some of the more popular Gospel players ......John Blackwell, Aaron Spears, Nathaniel Towsley, Gerald Heyward, Marvin McQuitty, Jeff Davis...etc etc.... from a bunch of other DVDs

Hey Gvdadrummasum.

Thanks for the reply!
I will check the book by Gary Chaffee.

I think the most basics of the "Gospel Drumming" are the super fast linear patterns.
Aaron is a killer and I like how he phrases odd patterns over the 4.

For fills / licks youtube gospel fills, gospel licks and linear fills, I'd be interested any any books as well so will probably look into the Gary Chaffee one too.

Mike Johnston also has a book called Linear Drumming

it's not as good as the Chaffee book but it does spell things out for you a little better ....it sort of spoon feeds you the voicings

the Chaffee book has many more creative ideas but you need to use your imagination on where to voice them to get that Aaron Spears, Eric Moore type sound

for example substituting a tom for a closed hi hat and so on

I haven't worked out of it myself but the Chafee book does sound like a good one for that style. Once you've got some of the fills down, work on starting them on off beats (e.g. the and of 3 or 4). And most importantly, listen to gospel music!!!! I'd recommend anything with Calvin Rodgers on drums or anything by Israel &the New Breed.

Back