Iron Cobra: Jr. vs Standard

I'm planning on buying a new kit, and along with it, I need a double kick pedal. Iron Cobra is one of my choices for a pedal. But, I've noticed that the Junior is much cheaper, and is only missing a few things. It's not dual chain drive, which is only a little more stable, I mean, if you have a dual chain drive and you break one chain, you're still just as screwed as you are if you break a chain on a single chain. I guess it may be a little smoother, but what the hey. Also, there aren't any cobra coils, but you can install them later anyway. And there aren't as many adjustments that can be made. I'm not too worried about this much, just as long as I can adjust the board height and the beater angle. I may not even need to do that. So, my question is, is it really necessary to spend the extra $180 on the standard Iron Cobra, just for 2 extra chains and a few different adjustments?

In my opinion, the regular cobra feels more solid/stable, and has a heavier feel. It feels like you have a bit more control and power with it. Its hard to put into words how different pedals feel. I hope this helped.

I love the Iron Cobra Jr. It feels just like an older DW5000. Other than the extra weight and stability of the regular Iron Cobra, I don't think there are any other advantages. So if you can live with a pedal that literally flies, the Jr. is the way to go.

I'm not one to skimp on hardware, so I would recommend the regular Iron Cobras. However, I dislike the Cobra Coils. I used them for about a month on my Rolling Glides, then took them off. I like the pedals much more now without the Coils.

Also, from my experience, single chain pedals feel lighter.

That's fine with me. I've tried the regular Iron Cobra's at a local music store, and I liked them, but they kinda felt weird. They never had any Jr's there at the time. I think it's because I've had more experience with single chain pedals. In fact, this was the first double chain I've ever used. I know I don't wanna go with direct drive, because I've tried Axis Longboards, and not only were they too fast for me, they just didn't feel right. I've used strap drives, but I like chain drives better.

I have a Rolling Glide for my main pedal and an Iron Cobra Jr. as my backup. I've spent some time getting both dialed in the way I like and to be honest I really don't feel much, if any difference.

I bought an iron cobra a while ago because "it was the best pedal ever!" turned out that for me it was the worst. When i went to buy a new pedal i tried a newer iron cobra, a speed cobra and an iron cobra junior, none of them had a good enough feel for me.

If you have tried them for a decent amount of time and like them then go for it, but make sure its something you can use, i thought i just couldnt do double bass for the longest time until i bought my DW 8002 pedals, now im flying :)

A lot of people have huge sucess with these pedals, just make sure to try everything in your price range first :)

Well, since I'm used to single chain, and have control over them, then then I guess I'd be okay with an Iron Cobra Jr, or a Powershifter, or a DW 2000. But before I get one, I'll try all of them out at a music store, and see which one I like the best.

Back