My favorite sticks

Vater David Silveria DSK model..17 inches..just under a 5b in diameter..and everytime i pick up a new pair..i see him on the paper thing that keeps sticks in pairs of 2..is there a name for what that is?

I use two different kinds: For the jazz band I play in, I use the 'carbostick' (carbon fibre sticks) because the give me a really nice sound on the ride and hi-hat, and allow me to move around the kit with ease.
I also use a pair of Stagg SO5B's, which are really chunky sticks that are great for rock drumming (I also play in a tribute band called the re-runs'), and the way I play requires me to feel confident, and i do with these sticks (I play with the kit set up for right handed and right footed players, and i use my left hand on the hi-hat, and it looks very unnatural).

I used to play to play Vic Firths 5A, but the tips broke off pretty fast (the tip of the tip)
then I tried Pro Mark's 5A, wich where lighter and in my opinion better
I also tried Carbosticks 5B and those were really crappy
Now I have 3 peair of firths 5A (all were presents) and they reaaally are just 5B's with a false print on it or something, they are much heavier then my other firth 5a's

all this to say that I'm not really in to Vic Firth anymore, although i haven't tried many different sticks...

I think I'll go with the Pro Mark 5A ;)

Yeah, Catchagato! Glad to know someone else is rocking out with the Vic Firth 8D!

The 8D is my favorite stick of all time. Not too heavy, no too light, always straight (which is more than I can say for other companies). If I need an even lighter stick, I'll go for the Vic Firth SD4 maple. And if a I really need to play LOUD, the legendary Pro-Mark 747 works great.

Was using 747 oak Pearts & like them a lot, but wanted a little more volume without switching to a fatter stick. Then I found the 707 Ed Shaughnessy model (also oak w/ wood tip). They are the same length & diameter, but with a shorter taper (more meat near the tip) & rounded instead of barrel-shaped head. They sound a little fuller & louder on my cymbals (especially the ride) and feel great! 747 users should check these out.

Last edited:
Regular Stick - I like the Vater Xtreme 5B sticks. I also have an Ahead 5A stick... but they aren't as comfortable as the Vaters.

Brush - The Vater Polyflex

I don't really use Splash sticks...

My favorite stick to use on the set is my Pro Mark 747's Jap Oak...The feel like a 5a, but are more thick up on the shaft so they last longer

On the practice pad i use Pro Mark Jeff Moore..There really thick and long (Length 17", Diameter ,720)

Lastly on the V drums im using the 747's

DogBreath said:
Sticks - Vic Firth Signature Series Akira Jimbo.

Bundles - Vic Firth Rute 505.

Brushes - Regal Tip Hickory Handle 550W.

I tried vic firth signature series akira jimbo but i kept getting blisters on my hands and I would sometimes bleed. I went on vic firths web site and checks out were they got there wood. i found out that Los Cobos had the same wood but with a different finish on the sticks. I tried them out and little did I know I havent gotten a blister for two years.

aug11th said:
how come no one uses ahead sticks? Is there anything wrong with them?
Alot of them tend to be really expensive, and not so great sticks. ie joey jordison sticks, my friend payed 30 something bucks for them, turned out to be alright, but nothing special..

drumbum1977 said:
Gotta love my Vic Firth - Dave Weckl's
Really? which pair do you have? I just recently bought the heavier pair of weckls ( the one with the darker finish ) and i like em, but not that much. I guess just the feeling that im playing with his signatures makes me feel special inside. But i do like the fact that i seem to get a great deal of power out of them for the size. I just wish that they would be a slight bit on the lighter side.

Jazz- John Riley Sig (Don't Last A Long Time), Bill Stewart Sig (Also don't last a long time), Vic firth 7As.

Rock- Vic Firth Charlie Watts Sig, 7As, and 5As depending on the song.

Funk- Dave Weckl Sigs (Orangy Finish)

Back