Tre' Cool

I think Tré is a very good drummer for his genere.
Maybe he wouldn't have been so popular if he didn't play in Green Day, but that does not meen he is popular JUST because he is in Green Day.
A great and popular band also needs a great drummer to become popular!
If the drummer sucks, the music does as well.
Remember that!

How can yousay Tre Cool's lost his speed? He has matured as a drummer so maybe he's not as flashy as he was but there no way he's slowed down.

stevefty said:
I don't really think he is over rated. He is great at what he does. I really don't think there would be any better drummer for green day. Can you imagine Neil Peart in green day?!?!?!? but seriously Tre Cool is the man for simple pop-punk. The drumming on American Idiot is great and simple at the same time.
i totally agree that he does probably the best anyone can with green day. but i've had a lot of people come up to me saying "you play drums? that tre cool, he must be, like, the best player ever!" which, clearly, he isn't.
but to be fair, he is not over-rated by other drummers, as far as i know.

believe it or not I actually use to live down the street from Tre. I guess I was too young to be a fair judge of his drummingm, but I remember hearing him. The stuff he does for Green Day is usually pretty simple, but it's very solid and he pulls it off well. I think what Tre is best at is making simple things sound really cool.

Personally, I think Tre' plays a very simple genre of music with a passion of purpose that amazes me. I never was a huge Green day fan until I spotted this guy giving the skins a working over. I had the priveledge of standing just behind him onstage, and watching a clinic in punk rock drumming. And for those of you who say you don't know if he could ever play anything but punk, trust me on this one..he certainly CAN..and with the same 'take no prisoners' attitude that makes his punk drumming such a joy to listen to! I heard him and Mike jamming backstage..this amazing JAZZ number..and I sat transfixed. This guy isn't just some insane version of Alex Van Halen on acid. He can truly PLAY those things he sits behind. True, he's VERY adrenaline fueled, but that is one aspect of his playing that I adore! he doesn't play the drums..he throws them a few body blocks. I love "Are We The Waiting" for the drum driven direction it goes into. Incredible. And I'm not a 14 year old infatuated fan, either. But when he used to play that minimalist kit from the Dookie days, and I hear what he got out of it, as opposed to someone who played those overblown kits of typical 80's bands, and what they got out of it, I was left staring in wonder, saying to myself."How did he get THAT out of those??" I've tried playing. I stink. But I respect Tre' for his unwavering attack on the ears of America. I welcome the next assult. As for his being endorsed, I've heard alot worse than him with endorsement contracts!! Tre' has an endorsement contract because he inspires people to want to be drummers in the first place. He (and Green day) have mass appeal. He's a manufacturers ..ahem..damp...dream.... I agree with the ones of you who love him for his quick hits and the mania that drives his drumming. Good Lord, he's fast, furious, and leaves me wanting so much more!! Bring it on again, Tre'!!! Can't wait for the next album and tour! I'll be right there again. Hopefully, in that ringside seat!!

i was gonna reply to that guy, but you just put it so much better. it's nice to have someone voice a positive opinion of tre without using a billion explation marks and using words like "god" and "best".

Minority said:
I've got them all, and I still can't pick out a better drummer.

I can, but anyway...here's my two cents on Tre:

While maybe not being the best drummer that ever lived, Tre is good for the type of music he plays. His beats are very simple (and in some cases, a little too simple) but the music they play is very catchy. However, a lot of his fills are very good and that makes Green Day's music lots of fun to play to. And I agree with the other posts that said Tre did get lucky and is in a popular band.

Last edited:
I think Minority went a little over the edge because people do have a right to say they dislike Tre as long as they have a valid reason. I like Green Day and Tre is a good drummer and fits the band, but I think also his personality and attitude is another reason why so much people love him.

LiquidSoul546 said:
Alright, this is a drummers thread, and i don't want to argue but discuss this guys talent factor. I mean, how is he such a great drummer? I am wondering this because i can see what he plays is all so simple, and if he is sponsered why not you, or any other drummer that can belt out 1 and 3 on bass drum, 2 and 4 snare, with eighth note highats. He's sponsered cause he is in a popular band. And he's a "great" because he's in a popular band. if someone could prove me wrong i'd like to hear.
Thanks
P.S, don't get mad at me if you like him, i totaly respect if you like the band, and love what he does.
Peace

Tré Cool page on DrummerWorld

i totally agree with you

When i started playing Jesus of Suburbia, man that song like opened my eyes up to the real drumming world, kinda like i was doing simple kinda fills and stuff, but now im doing more complicated/interesting/funner fills. Oh, and i love that fill that he does in Jesus of S.

I have learned as a musician to just be very humble, and in life. I think Green Day is alright, good catchy stuff, i learn from my dad NOT to dislike anything, and that is hard for me to do, there are only some types of music i absolutely hate.
I would say there no point in complaining that Tre' isn't as good as you buy makes more money or is more popular, what's the point, I think everything that happens, has a reason.

So ya, he's not amazing, but if i was in green day, i would be happy.

-Wes

I think Tre Cool is comparable to Tommy Lee, simple beats, normal stuff, not over technically challenged, but their beats are just so damn solid and stable and consistent, and this is especially important when playing live

So, it really depends what kinda drummer you aim to be, and hence whether you decide to learn from him or not. For me, I learn from everyone i can, so tre is on my list for his solid beats, for techniques, i turn to many others like portnoy, yoshiki etc etc

In green day's songs, every beat is nice and clear, hell who even needs tabs for that?

The thing about watching drummers is you wanna see something cool, some neat trick, fiil, etc, and when you don't, you start to wonder... "Okay, how good is this guy really?" But in most cases, when the drummer doesn't doo a neat trick or something like that, I start to respect him. The worst drummer in the world could have everything he needs, but show off way to much and look bad. Personaly, I like Tre Cool jsut because he keeps it simple. He ahs good tempo, plays what's needed, and that shows skill.

I really prefer Tre Cool's drumming over Travis Barker's. Tre plays for the music while Travis plays to get on MTV( that doesnt have a lotta music anymore).

When i started playing Jesus of Suburbia, man that song like opened my eyes up to the real drumming world, kinda like i was doing simple kinda fills and stuff, but now im doing more complicated/interesting/funner fills. Oh, and i love that fill that he does in Jesus of S.

That song is insane drum wise because of its groove and its simplicity. I love the whole American Idiot cd.

yeah i guess he is a little over rated, but still he's got some skill. All his songs are simple, but solid enough that he keeps the band going. Yet overall he's a pretty talented drummer. I'm a little more of a metal fan my self, so I look for speed, accuracy, and fancy tom work. But i guess you have to look past the style and find the skill.

Re: Tre' Cool?

It is hard to judge him because of the band he is in. They don't do anything complex enough show his talent. Anyone can take the place of Green Day and knowone would notice. I personally hate Green Day because they are so liberal and anti-american. The hardest song they have on drums is Basket Case and I learned it in about 10 minutes. He just doesn't do anything special.

He has energy, which is what punk is mainly composed of...and personally, I think it is of bad music tastes to dislike a band because they are "anti-American"...plus, they really don't hate America as a whole...they just hate Bush!

Like alot of early 90's punk/new wave, Tré's drumming featured fast up beat tempo's, with catchy beats and fills. Tré's the true "get in your stuck in your head drum part" drummer :D

Re: Tre' Cool?

He has energy, which is what punk is mainly composed of...and personally, I think it is of bad music tastes to dislike a band because they are "anti-American"...plus, they really don't hate America as a whole...they just hate Bush!

Yeah, most of that is just for show though. Have you ever heard of a band that supported bush and wrote songs about how great things are in america? No, because it would be a disaster and none of the rebellious teen's and college kids would buy it. It's just a cliche and it gets old after awhile.

I do like their music and think they are a very talented band. I love the cover of lennon's Working class hero. They did that song justice in my eyes.

Back