Unix 13x6,5 maple/bubinga snare arrived!

I'm not too sure about that, but frankly I don't mind it being a little off. It does not disturb the functionality and nobody would notice...

I think it's only the fixing plate that could be a little of when you'll replace the wire you could make it more strait.

most men beg for an extra half inch!

looks gorgeous though, i really like it! same for the rest of your kit :)

I think it's only the fixing plate that could be a little of when you'll replace the wire you could make it more strait.

I'll have a look. In the worst case I'll attach the snares with strings rather than a ribbon, that'll solve any problem that could arise from it.

most men beg for an extra half inch!

looks gorgeous though, i really like it! same for the rest of your kit :)

Thanks Fugazi! Always nice to see a fellow Dutchman here :)

There is some love around here in the Netherlands :)
The color fits really well to the rest of the kit!!

Bram

Really? Some people disagree... not that I care though :). I'd soonder change the look of the rest of the kit to match the unix than changing the unix to match the superstars.

Really? Some people disagree... not that I care though :). I'd soonder change the look of the rest of the kit to match the unix than changing the unix to match the superstars.

I wouldn't do so much work to let the kit match your snare, I would send the snare to me, and it will match my kit too :)

Bram

I wouldn't do so much work to let the kit match your snare, I would send the snare to me, and it will match my kit too :)

Bram

No, you can't combine Unix and Gretsch. It's the law... But the offer is appreciated. ;)

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am indeed very happy that I finally have my snare drum. It looks even nicer in person and sounds awesome! I'm thinking about giving it a name... and have been staring at it for most of the evening. I also have a lot of experimenting to do with tuning. Poor neighbours...

Upon measuring I came to the conclusion that it is indeed 7 inches deep rather than the 6,5 I asked for. A bit of a shame, but I am sure I can find a solution for it with Unix.

Wow, what a gorgeous drum! I am hoping someday to have a Unix cocktail drum set and I want this exact design. So often, the finish hides the stave construction. I really like a drum that shows off its staves.

Wow, what a gorgeous drum! I am hoping someday to have a Unix cocktail drum set and I want this exact design. So often, the finish hides the stave construction. I really like a drum that shows off its staves.

That's exactly why I wanted a striped shell and had it finished in satin gloss: much more natural and it shows off the stave construction. The difference in sound between a stave drum and a (proper) ply shell is not as big as people say it is (not for higher tunings anyway), but you also pay for the looks, and the details that are all to your specifications... it would be a shame to hide that under a big lacquer coat in my humble opinion.

A pure classy look Big Philly!! love it!

I can hear the great sound just by watching it :)

I took it to band rehearsal last night, and the guys liked it. We compared it to the snare drum that was present in the practise space, which was a Pearl Sensitone 14x5 (or 5.5). What the Unix lacks is sensitivity - I think it's because of the depth. The sensitone is true to it's name: very sensitive, you get a great snare sound at the lowest of volumes. The Unix requires a little more power. Furthermore, the unix had a quicker decay if I hit it dead center.
Our rhythm guitarist said he could feel the Unix in his gut everytime I struck it... it certainly is a powerful sounding drum. But it's hard to tune the snare wires just right: not so tight as to lose sensitivity, but not so loose as to lose definition and get a lot of snare buzz. Also, generally tuning the unix is something I gotta practise on.

I took it to band rehearsal last night, and the guys liked it. We compared it to the snare drum that was present in the practise space, which was a Pearl Sensitone 14x5 (or 5.5). What the Unix lacks is sensitivity - I think it's because of the depth. The sensitone is true to it's name: very sensitive, you get a great snare sound at the lowest of volumes. The Unix requires a little more power. Furthermore, the unix had a quicker decay if I hit it dead center.
Our rhythm guitarist said he could feel the Unix in his gut everytime I struck it... it certainly is a powerful sounding drum. But it's hard to tune the snare wires just right: not so tight as to lose sensitivity, but not so loose as to lose definition and get a lot of snare buzz. Also, generally tuning the unix is something I gotta practise on.

Keep in mind your snare is about the size of a lot of people's rack toms! The tradeoffs with a deeper shell are more power, volume and richness of tone, but at the expense of sensitivity. You can make up for somewhat with heads and tuning. If you have a shallow snare, it is very sensitive, but there's not much you can do to beef it up.

I have a 13 by 4 snare and I love its sensitivity. It's got more crack than a plumber's butt, but its sound is not as rich as a deeper drum's would be.

A stave or solid-ply drum is truly a different animal. In some situations it's better than others. They generally excel when mic'd up.

Keep in mind your snare is about the size of a lot of people's rack toms! The tradeoffs with a deeper shell are more power, volume and richness of tone, but at the expense of sensitivity. You can make up for somewhat with heads and tuning. If you have a shallow snare, it is very sensitive, but there's not much you can do to beef it up.

I have a 13 by 4 snare and I love its sensitivity. It's got more crack than a plumber's butt, but its sound is not as rich as a deeper drum's would be.

I was considering buying a 12-strand Puresound Equaliser snare mat, but that would make it even less sensitive. It's actually about as sensitive as my 14x5.5 superstar snare (really not a bad snare, even in comparison with the Unix!), so I do get the impression that the stave construction is more sensitive than a ply construction.

A stave or solid-ply drum is truly a different animal. In some situations it's better than others. They generally excel when mic'd up.

I got a gig coming up april 15th, it's probably gonna get mic'd there so I can't wait.

Also, we're probably gonna make some recordings with the band soon. I'll post some of it if we do.

Some new pictures... I found the 20-strand wires to be a little harsh and I wanted some more tone (in fact I originally wanted 12-strand puresound EQ wires). So I took a pair of cutters and a file to the snare mat and turned it from a 20-strand to a 14-strand (I'll probably make that 12 soon enough). I also got a set of nylon straps at a fabric store, rather than the plastic ones it came with. Some pictures:

jgi70p.jpg

awxen8.jpg

6qh1tv.jpg

vzda2a.jpg

The last two pictures are pictures of my new Hardcase.

Back