Nathan Followill

kristen

Nathan Followill from Kings of Leon... Amazing! I tried searching for a thread on him, but didn't find any. I just went to their show last night and still have the after concert glow. : ) I've always been a fan of his, but getting to see him play live is such a different experience. He comes up with the most original grooves, and makes it look so easy! Check out Kings of Leon if you haven't heard them yet!

He definitely has a good ear and comes up with really some really creative bits. One of the better indie drummers out there.

GREAT call there Kirsten.
im a big fan of his and beleive he is underrated amongst alot of great modern players. solid and a great example of a drummer playing for the song. something i aspire to atleast. the arrangements on Only By the Night are fiarly sparse and show case his pocket. live he's very impressive. much love to Mr Followill from me thats for sure. there must be other admirers of his out there.

I'm a big fan. It's been cool to watch him getting better as the albums have progressed. I have seen KOL a number of times and they are/he is great live. He's such a relaxed player, chewin his strawberry gum, looks like he's just takin a sunday drive or something.
On the new album he plays quite a lot off off-beat accents which have grown on me, though I initially thought they were a bit much.

Hello, fellows.

You King of Leon fans, what album or cd, do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

I would say start with their second album Aha Shake Heartbreak. All of them are amazing though. : )

Depends what you're up for.. I reckon the drumming is coolest on 'Because Of The Times' which is the second last album... All the albums are cool though, the first two are about partying and takin off panties, the last two are more of a been there-done that lament.
I have some pictures of Nathan's kit, complete with chewing gum and Brady snare from backstage at a festival here last year, I will post 'em when I can figure out just how..if anyone cares.

I have some pictures of Nathan's kit, complete with chewing gum and Brady snare from backstage at a festival here last year, I will post 'em when I can figure out just how..if anyone cares.

I would love to see them Switters! I couldn't tell you how to post pictures though.

Here's the pics Kristen, sorry about the wait -I couldn't find em.

This was from a festival in Australia about a year ago. Sorry the pics aren't awesome but I was running around doing other stuff. . It's worth mentioning that I've been to a lot of shows, but I have never seen a drum-tech as meticulous as KOL's. Dude spent a couple of hours setting that kit up, polished all the cymbals, re-headed the whole kit and even placed the strawberry gum next to the hi hat stand hours before the show. He was a really cool guy too and knew his drums, he had that kit sounding amazing.

Last edited:
Oh, and from (my sad, sad and weak) memory, the ride was signature 22inch, but the crash above the ride is 24"

Attachments

• DSC_1082.JPG
    DSC_1082.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 17,369
  • DSC_1083.JPG
    DSC_1083.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 18,126
Last edited:
Great to see some people are listening to these guys their one of my favourite bands, as for nathan i think he's great love his simplicity and well his tone. But i have to say i liked KOL when they were younger, they starting to learn how to sing properly and stuff, not as raw for me anyways.

Image attempt number 40 something. Whish incidently is the age I feel at this very moment.

Attachments

• DSC_1085.JPG
    DSC_1085.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 23,929
  • DSC_1087.JPG
    DSC_1087.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 22,086
Image attempt number 40 something. Whish incidently is the age I feel at this very moment.

What snare i that, a Brady? From what i've heard, the snare always sounded very Supra 400 to me. Enjoy this chaps drumming no end, good right foot, grooves fit the music perfectly - reminds me of a certain long haired Redditch born drummer.

Al

WOW...very cool! I remember seeing him on SNL, and thinking to myself...what the hell are those, 24" crashes?! Uhmmm...YEP!! :)

Does anyone know what he's using for drum sizes? 14-16-18-24? That last floor tom in the first picture looks huge!!! Maybe a 20?!?

I thought it was 13" 16" 18" 22" and a 14" / 6.5" Brady Jarrah Block snare. There's a few elastic bands holding the snares on as well if you look closely.

Tom

Last edited:
Back