Neil Peart

I don't get people who need to be enlightened or have Neil Peart's greatness explained to them but I will bite:

Neil is not the greatest drummer in the world and HE would be the first to admit that. I don't believe there is such a thing but Neil is among the greatest drummers in history. If you look over his career and listened to his drumming you would hear his genius. I don't think playing drum solos defines ones '' greatness'' but Neil is one of the greatest soloist in the history of our instrument that is a fact. I can't breakdown to you any specifics harly_g on what makes Neil great or why you don't get his celebrity and why he is touted as one of the greats. You are entitled to your opinion and I am not flaming you. For me and many others, Neil is a major drumming influence and one of the best.

Thanks for those who've replied so far. And like youenjoy said his swing capabilities are mediocre at best (what is with that trigger big band finish at the end of his solo's?)

I will get a hold of La Villa Strangiato and see what he has to offer. But while we're on the topic of his playing with the rest of rush, I've seen videos of that too and I also just found his grooves to be boring (once again not to be mistaken with simplicity).
Neil is not the greatest drummer in the world and HE would be the first to admit that. I don't believe there is such a thing but Neil is among the greatest drummers in history.

I never said he was or that even such a tag should exist. "The greatest drummer in the world" is just such a pathetic title, it really doesn't mean anything to me when someone throws it on a drummer. Has anyone heard every drummer in the world? No. Then there's the sheer vagueness of it, and the fact that so much of why a drummer is good or bad is due to taste or opinion. And I can't see why Neil is among the greatest (once again bad title), and this why I came here because Drummerworld is obviously the best place.

As for the rest of CJh2112's comments, I told you everything I thought and WHY I thought it, so to just see these huge statements like "Neil is one of the greatest soloists in the history of our instrument and that is a fact" means absolutely nothing. First off how could it be a fact? If we're gonna talk facts here, why not mention Gene Krupa. He made the drums a solo instrument; before him no one had heard of a drum solo. That's a fact. After going to such lengths to explain why he's a boring soloist, how could I believe that he's one the best with a statement like that? You didn't even give one reason. If you can't break down why he's so good then that's alright for you but I'm really trying to get some real answers here. But thanks for your reply :)

I'm not won over yet! :p

Honestly I think he's a good drummer. He can play in nearly all styles, I admit not always convincingly but he's still a great drummer. He plays a bit too busy imo but it suits the music of rush perfectly. The rhythm section of that band is tight. I couldn't imagine many other drummers that would fit the music like him. I can always identify a rush song by his drumming. He has very characteristic fills, and unique sounding toms.

If you think about his influence too... Do you know how many great drummers may have never started if it weren't for him? He inspired a whole new generation of drummers. There is a reason he is one of the most famous drummers to ever live. Overall I think he's a great drummer, highly overrated but hey a lot of worse drummers are too... I've never met him but I've seen a few interviews with him. Definitely not a stereotypical "rock star" at all.

Definitely not a stereotypical "rock star" at all.

This is most definitely true-- name another rock lyricist of the last century who was inspired by the writing of Ayn Rand.

YEM

I listened to La Villa Strangiato and it's not a bad song. It has some alright grooves but honestly nothing special to me...plus the parts where he plays the groove on the toms to me sounds weak and doesn't back the guitar part in my opinion.

As for his influence he sure does have a lot, I guess I just can't really see why.

Overall I think he's a great drummer, highly overrated but hey a lot of worse drummers are too...

I think this just must be it, he's overrated by so many people. He's competent I'll give him that but I just don't hear anything special in his playing. Sorry! :p

xanadau has a beautiful drum part as does jacob's ladder....
i think that if he is over rated it is probably because he has such an imposing personality rather than anything to do with his drumming.
i can see why some people might find him annoying.

This is most definitely true-- name another rock lyricist of the last century who was inspired by the writing of Ayn Rand.

YEM

Neil is a fantastic drummer, but I really must say, I don't care for his lyrics. I personally think they're pretentious and often sound stilted.

Neil is a fantastic drummer, but I really must say, I don't care for his lyrics. I personally think they're pretentious and often sound stilted.

I know better lyrics also... Being inspired by Ayn rand doesn't make you a good writer, it's just that I don't know another guy in a rock band who reads Ayn Rand.

Harley_g,

Here are a couple of reasons I admire, and enjoy, Neil Peart's drumming. To start with, it touches in me a place where good music (a subjective term I know) is supposed to touch you. Many of Rush's songs communicate to me on an emotional level like very few pieces of music do. I started listening to Rush before I knew who Rush was let alone who Neil Peart was. I fell it love w/it because I thought it was great, not because I had people telling me I'm supposed to think it's great. I think Neil, and Rush over all, has a very good balance between emotional and technical playing. As a whole it's technical enough to make you go, "wow", emotional enough to keep it from being "cold", and, most importantly, they play to serve the song.

I like Neil's solos (The Rhythm Method is still the best incarnation, IMO) because it feels like there is cohesive thread running thru the whole solo. A point, like he is trying to communicate something, tell a story, during his solo. If the story had a name I think it would be "A Brief History of Drumming in around 9 minutes." ;) Many of the other drum solos I've listened to feel hollow (like a visually stunning movie w/a lackluster plot). Neil's goal when building his drum solo was to make an homage, basically, to drumming. Parts of his solo are inspired by his many bicycle trips in Africa, his own version of "The Drum also Waltzes" is a tribute to Max Roach, and the swing section at the end is for the drummers he grew up listening to, like Buddy Rich. I think that personalization is what gives his solo the emotional undertone many others lack.

And about Neil's expression, that's just his "work face." Jordan stuck out his tongue, Namath wore a fur coat, Neil looks intense (which only helps cement "The Professor" as an appropriate nick name for him).

Lethal

I think the problem is w/age in most cases. Im 38, been playing for 20 years and Neil was HUGE in the 80's. He is my second biggest influence. First being Gregg Bissonette and third being Alex Van Halen. All guys big in the 80's. I said Influence. Not "Greatest ever" "Best to walk the Earth". Just who got me excited about playing. Now drummers are so advanced; Donati, Lang, Minimen, Greb, Jarzombek and the like. The more complicated the more people are impressed.
So as great a drummer Neil is for the band and what he has contributed to drums he is not at their level of playing. Gregg as well. Gregg is respected as a guy that can play just about anything. But basically (for the most part) its what is popular when you are growing up playing. And if Neil wasn't who you grew up listening to then you just dont get it.

How many drummer have a growth phase named after them?

(crickets chirping)

When we start hearing about "The ubiquitous Joey Jordison phase" , then we can raise questions about Neil's relevance to drumming.

I don't think can really address your question without examining your operating paradigm, meaning, if you don't "get" Peart, if you are not impressed with his solos etc, then please provide an example of who DOES meet your criteria.

Ok I have to chime in here. Peart is my favorite drummer this is true is he the most talented drummer in the world no is he the most glamourous no. But you know what neil does have that alot of technically better drummers don't ? Neil Peart has an understanding of what music fans not just other drummers will be able to relate to.

I have seen many "technically better" drummers perform solos that as a drummer blew my mind to look around in the crowd and see alot of people looking lost and start talking among themselves and lose interest in the solo go to the bathroom what not.

At a rush show the solo is a mesmerizing part of the show that leaves people amazed and interested. This is because he uses a simplicity that the music fan can relate to and builds around harmony melody and theme.

Do people who arent drummers see a Dave Weckl solo and go home saying omg did you see him do that triple flamadiddle inverted ratamacaca poo poo. No you dont and thats because thats lost on the average listener. They sure do remember the mallet cat the cowbell fills the big band break see it is able to be related to in a musical context.

Thats why so many other drummers with chops out the roof play clubs and smaller venues Because they arent as accesible they will draw the drummers and musicians out but for the most part it doesent have that widespread musical appeal.

So is Neil Peart the greatest soloist ever certainly not. But if you ask a rock fan who has seen Rush along with many other bands chances are they are going to be very impressed with Peart and remember him as an awesome drummer.

See thats why he has become such a big name people remember him because they can relate musically to what hes doing. I cant really think of another band that has had the sucsess that Rush has that when you mention the band the average music fan says oh yeah they have that insane drummer.

See thats what Peart does he transcends drumming he is an entertainer.

What I really respect most about Peart is his attention to the craft. Watching 'A Work In Progress' and 'Anatomy of a Drum Solo", you really get a sense of how much he cares about drumming - it's history and it's applications. He's really technically minded but still realizes that it has to sound good to the crowd and grab them.

Neil is my drumming hero. Heh.

Very well put, Jason. I just saw Rush Friday night at the White River Amphitheater, and it was a great show! We've all heard the joke about the drum solo being "Bathroom-break time." Well, I can tell you that people were as enthusiastic about Peart's solo as any other part of the show. He got huge cheers from the crowd, and people watched the whole thing attentively. The place was packed, despite the rain, and it was a very fun crowd - everybody happy and energetic.

Frankly, I can appreciate the technicality of many great drummers' solos, but I truly do not enjoy most of them. In that way, I think I'm more like a non-drumming listener. But I enjoy Peart's solo at Rush shows. It's interesting, it moves, it is a true composition. Most technically complicated? Nah. Most fun for the general listener? Yeah, I believe so. At least that's what I've seen at all the Rush shows I've attended over the years.

If you don't get it, that's fine. There are certainly enough of us who do.

I'm glad this discussion is going on. It gives me a chance to think of why I like Neil as a drummer so much. The point about the era and influences is great. I first listened to Joey Kramer and then Nicko. Then came Neil with his huge set up and "multi-percussive" approach to rock music. I have since moved on to Dennis Chambers and Lang.

Neil has applied new and exciting ways to play multiple parts to progressive rock anthems. Check out Xanadu, The Trees, Mystic Rhythms, Territories, Scars...these songs span decades and really show the creativity of Neil. People have to remember: Neil invented these parts. Anyone can sit there and copy it and say, "big deal". But try to invent something like what he has.

He really got me excited to play drums. I remember a Test for Echo show in Detroit with a sold out crowd clapping along to his electronic part leading to the "Scars" section. Afterward, the standing ovation was huge and minutes long. Great moment in my life.

He has influenced many people with more reasons than newer drummers may ever know. Discovery is a wonderful thing.

Anyone can sit there and copy it and say, "big deal". But try to invent something like what he has.
I think that hits the nail on the head. It's not the difficulty of playing the parts, it's the creation and writing of them. The innovative nature of it. That's what it takes to be inspiring, in my book, not simply speed of playing or difficulty of material.

. Anyone can sit there and copy it and say, "big deal". But try to invent something like what he has.
PLEASE READ IN FULL!
Absolutely true. And very over looked. I have thought this about Neil when people rag on him. People like to rag on him for what he CAN'T play that others can. So he may be stiff when he plays jazz. He tries. Or is not an independence wizard like, Lang, Bozzio, or Donati. He's not trying to be. Or trying to be Weckle, Colaiuta or Chambers. Thats like not liking a baseball catcher cause he cant pitch like the pitcher. News flash; He's not a pitcher he's a catcher. So WHY does Neil have to play like everyone else? And for Harley G; Listen to some RUSH cd's and dont Judge by a solo. That goes for Portnoy as well. Portnoy is one of the odd time masters.
One thing I know is, inventing a part that sticks is whats important. Think about this carefully;If any drummer walks into a drum shop and takes ONE, not two but One stick and plays the intro to "YYZ" with the bell of ONE cymbal not a whole drum kit, but one cymbal, EVERYONE will know EXACTLY what it is. No other drummer has ever done that. End of Story!

Last edited:
Absolutely true. And very over looked. I have thought this about Neil when people rag on him. People like to rag on him for what he CAN'T play that others can. So he may be stiff when he plays jazz. He tries. Or is not an independence wizard like, Lang, Bozzio, or Donati. He's not trying to be. Or trying to be Weckle, Colaiuta or Chambers. Thats like not liking a baseball catcher cause he cant pitch like the pitcher. News flash; He's not a pitcher he's a catcher. So WHY does Neil have to play like everyone else? And for Harley G; Listen to some RUSH cd's and dont Judge by a solo. That goes for Portnoy as well. Portnoy is one of the odd time masters.
One thing I know is, inventing a part that sticks is whats important. Think about this carefully;If any drummer walks into a drum shop and takes ONE, not two but One stick and plays the intro to "YYZ" with the bell of ONE cymbal not a whole drum kit, but one cymbal, EVERYONE will know EXACTLY what it is. No other drummer has ever done that. End of Story!

I agree, he has not taken the interdependence to the level of Lang, Donati and Bozzio, but listen to some parts on the Hold Your Fire album (Tai Shan?) and Territories and Mystic Rhythms. His latest album actually has a song that is a remnant of that type of playing (drums only on his site if interested). When I read some posts that bash him I wonder if these people are/were listening to the same person I am/was. Neil was certainly more aggressive and very innovative back in the day. Later albums are not so special but their latest album reminds me of Counterparts.

Back