Joey Jordison

Joey, as you can see and hear with slipknot, is a great drummer. He's won numerous awards and been mentioned in tons of media: (drummng magazines, metal magazines, mtv, etc.). He is very talented, and ia argubly one of the greatest drummers in metal/ hardcore music...

Now the 2 percussionest, Chris Fehn and Shawn Crahan, are actuely very talented. people think, oh these guys just bang the hell out of there custom ''trash can'' drums, but the actuely are there to make the songs interesting. Listen to songs like ''the blister exists'', or ''Left Behind'': You can here there drums, espeacillay on the blister exists, when they do a pretty cool snare drum solo! Now i know what you're thinking, ''that snare part is easy'', and it is, i can do it, But, its what makes them individuals! You wouldent here a marching solo in a metalica song! They are there for one reason: to make them individuals!!!!

Before I thought all he was good at was fast playing and stuff. Then I watched his sound rehersal video on this website. Man was I wrong. I love the tuning on his drums. Wish I could tune that well. Anyways, he's probably my favorite drummer out of all these nu-metal drummers. He even uses drums that can take the music. C'mon Chris Adler using Mapex drums for metal. Sorry for being off topic again. Joey will definitly have a lasting impression on metal drumming and can not wait to see if he will be on a Modern Drummer Festival DVD.

Before I thought all he was good at was fast playing and stuff. Then I watched his sound rehersal video on this website. Man was I wrong. I love the tuning on his drums. Wish I could tune that well. Anyways, he's probably my favorite drummer out of all these nu-metal drummers. He even uses drums that can take the music. C'mon Chris Adler using Mapex drums for metal. Sorry for being off topic again. Joey will definitly have a lasting impression on metal drumming and can not wait to see if he will be on a Modern Drummer Festival DVD.

What is wrong with using Mapex drums for metal? Frost of Satyricon and 1349 plays with Mapex and the stuff he plays is alot more bone breaking heavy then Joey's stuff

Before I thought all he was good at was fast playing and stuff. Then I watched his sound rehersal video on this website. Man was I wrong. I love the tuning on his drums. Wish I could tune that well. Anyways, he's probably my favorite drummer out of all these nu-metal drummers. He even uses drums that can take the music. C'mon Chris Adler using Mapex drums for metal? Sorry for being off topic again. Joey will definitly have a lasting impression on metal drumming and can not wait to see if he will be on a Modern Drummer Festival DVD.
You've just made my day

I think many drummers miss the point when it comes to soloing in front of an audience of non drummers. As Louis Bellson has so often said, Krupa was not the most technically gifted drummer of his era, but all he had to do was hit the splash cymbal and smile to bring the house down. Non drummers simply do not understand the complex riff in 5 taking place over the syncopated 7/8 played with the feet. Simply put, once people reach a point of not understanding what is going on, they can lose interest.

Many times when non drummers talk to me about drum solos, they mention Ina Gadda da Vida. Certainly not the most complex of solos. But non drummers are able in some way to relate to it and remember it.

It is our job to please the audience. That is what Joey did.

This idea that every drum solo must in some way be superior to every other drum solo fails to take into acount musicality. Drumming is NOT a sport.

I did not notice what Wy Yung said before but it makes complete sense, that said , why are non drummers impresssed by Neil Peart then?

What is wrong with using Mapex drums for metal? Frost of Satyricon and 1349 plays with Mapex and the stuff he plays is alot more bone breaking heavy then Joey's stuff

Your just angry cause you use Mapex,I would be too, cause MAPEX DRUMS SUCK! The only music they are good for is jazz and funk,period.

Your just angry cause you use Mapex,I would be too, cause MAPEX DRUMS SUCK! The only music they are good for is jazz and funk,period.

Are you kidding me? or just completely retarded?

How do Mapex drums 'suck' and how are they only good for Jazz and funk?

I did not notice what Wy Yung said before but it makes complete sense, that said , why are non drummers impresssed by Neil Peart then?

I'd say the reason is due to how the solo is set up as a large part of the show. It was the same back in the days of Emerson Lake and Palmer. There is a big difference in a solo that is choreographed and arranged with lights camera action, to a highly technical solo without such staging.

Are you kidding me? or just completely retarded?

How do Mapex drums 'suck' and how are they only good for Jazz and funk?

No im just kidding. Just for some reason i can not picture them in metal music.

I'd say the reason is due to how the solo is set up as a large part of the show. It was the same back in the days of Emerson Lake and Palmer. There is a big difference in a solo that is choreographed and arranged with lights camera action, to a highly technical solo without such staging.

Now it makes sense. I could picture someone getting bored during a Danny Carey solo though.

Last edited:
Angry? I'm PROUD to be a Mapex owner.. I'm PROUD to know that my Mapex drums will work in every situation. I use them for jazz, funk, rock, punk, metal, Norwegian black metal. (And that some serious heavy stuff)

Now it makes sense. I could picture someone getting bored during a Danny Carey solo though.

I think that a lot of a solo's success in that enviroment comes down to presentation. Some people are simply more gifted when it comes to giving the people what they want. I suppose we see how this works in the mainstream when we look at pop music and, jazz, for example. Some people are better able to write a hook that grabs the attention of the majority. Then there are those who please in lesser amounts. One is not necessarily more important or superior to the other, just different. Somebody like Carl Palmer is able to be a great showman; shirt off, banging away on gongs as the riser revolves, building a solo to an exciting climax etc. Then there's someone like Jeff Watts, who can play beautifully, subtlely and who can move those near who listen to ecstacy. But the chances of seeing him banging away on gongs amid flashing lights and fireworks in a 50,000 seat stadium are less than good. It's like I said earlier, Krupa was able to play something simple and catch the imagination. Not everyone can or wants to do that. Things don't have to be complex to be good. Some of the nicest things in life are simple. It seems the same with solos. This is why I believe Joey did a fantastic job. He gave people what they wanted and what they could identify with.

That's my take on it anyway.

I think people miss the whole point of his solo though. The solo is a challenge to play, but its not unreal.

But the the whole thing about Slipknot is about doing things differently. Joey's upside down thing is unique and its very cool. There are many drummers that can play technical solos, so i appreciate the fact that he attempts something new.

No one should take anything away from Joey, he is an amazing drummer and deserves all the credit he gets.

WOW! I've ALWAYS considered Buddy Rich the first "Joey Jordison" or "Travis Barker". Let me ellaborate.

4- He couldn't read music

stu

I actually lol'd at that. Barker reads music ( he writes it, too), and Jordison reads music. Sometime, try to find videos of either drummer tracking in the studio. I saw one where Barker had page after page of music beside him, and Jordison had a small peice for snare only (I forget what song)

I think people miss the whole point of his solo though. The solo is a challenge to play, but its not unreal.

But the the whole thing about Slipknot is about doing things differently. Joey's upside down thing is unique and its very cool. There are many drummers that can play technical solos, so i appreciate the fact that he attempts something new.

I dont know when doing bass roles fills and snare roles became new, but ya he is a hell of a drummer.... id have to say that solo was kinda a low point but he is great in there songs.

Back