Derek Roddy here!

Derek,
here’s my feedback on Serpents Rise II (after 2 listening rounds – it took me a while to find the time to listen to that album focused and in one continuous go). I don’t have specific comments to some tracks but have listed some general impressions at the bottom of this post. Sorry for my lack of synonyms for *cool*, haha. I didn't have an overly creative moment when writing this feedback.

#1 – Here Comes The Shield Bearer
Cool change into the slower part (from 2.xx).

#5 – Into The Further
I liked the relaxed interludes/parts at the beginning (Gabe's bass solo) and the end (jazzy feel). Great clean parts & cool 70's vibe sound.

#6 – Dyer Consequence
Cool part from 2.40, with a cool tension/power buildup from 3.15. I could imagine a short "weird" lead guitar outro.

#7 – Embrace Solution
Cool slow drums – I like it! And a cool sound in the (mini) intro.

#8 – The Underlining Fury
Those harmony parts from 2.00 are really "awakening" ;-) I'd wish that overall there would be more lead parts in this vein in a few of the other tunes, too. Cool ending.

#10 – The Soul Obsidian
Very nice clean part. Tasty drum work – makes me want to play some lead guitar on top.

#11 – Feeding The Spirit Eater
Cool odd time signature groove, with groovy drums. Creates an interesting mood – which turns "dark" from 1.30.

#13 – Marvelous Incompetense
Groovy drums, cool tribal toms! I think that tune is a bit too long though.

#15 – Take Me To Median
I’d vote for the ending to be a bit smoother, felt a bit too rapid to me.

General thoughts
Overall this album is a remarkable body of work, sounds fresh, is very enjoyable to listen, has a nice mix both sound-wise and in terms of tension vs. release in the arrangement and song parts with lots of time signature changes. For me personally, the "minus vocals" concept of that album makes it much more digestible (you're mentioning this aspect on your DVD). I also like the bass to be easily detectable in the stereo field. The ultra low guitar tuning is very inspiring! I want to try this on one of my guitars. That concept of having 2 interlaced but independent guitars is quite clever, and the overall sound transparency benefits from the guitar sound not being overly overdriven. I can learn A LOT from you how to create more "colour" and varitation on the guitars.

Did I mention the drums sound great and thunderous? And that's because the guy who played and recorded them knows what he's doing ;-)

Once again - thank you for this remarkable album and for sharing it!!

Arky, thanks a lot brother....glad you're digging it. It sure is different than the average metal recording.

That tune "Take me to median" will be on the next Serpents rise. It's just the first riff of the song.
So, like the first Serpents....ends with a fade out...the new Serpents Starts with that into another song. Same will apply for this tune....the new Serpents...will start with that tune.

The 4 recordings that I will make for Serpents Rise will be a seamless body of work.

Cheers,
D

Hi Derek, I'm a big fan!
What are your thoughts on practicing without a pedal - does it actually help build up speed and endurance at all? I'm sure I've read George say somewhere that he thinks it is of very little benefit, but I may be wrong.

I'm going into the Army this October as a musician, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to practice at that stage, but first it means 3 1/2 months of military training where unless I can sneak a practice pad and practice kick into camp I'll have no opportunity to practice, I got my first double kick pedal February this year and I'm still at a very very very basic level, so I'd look to keep practicing as opposed to stop for such a long time.

Also, can you remember when you first started doing double bass drumming? I've been playing for about 9 years, and I'm 18, but up until now I've really neglected my foot technique. I'd like to be fast and in control, preferably while I'm still fairly young. :)

Thanks a lot! I'm off to go slug away at my pedals.

Hi Derek, I'm a big fan!
What are your thoughts on practicing without a pedal - does it actually help build up speed and endurance at all? I'm sure I've read George say somewhere that he thinks it is of very little benefit, but I may be wrong.

I'm going into the Army this October as a musician, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to practice at that stage, but first it means 3 1/2 months of military training where unless I can sneak a practice pad and practice kick into camp I'll have no opportunity to practice, I got my first double kick pedal February this year and I'm still at a very very very basic level, so I'd look to keep practicing as opposed to stop for such a long time.

Also, can you remember when you first started doing double bass drumming? I've been playing for about 9 years, and I'm 18, but up until now I've really neglected my foot technique. I'd like to be fast and in control, preferably while I'm still fairly young. :)

Thanks a lot! I'm off to go slug away at my pedals.

Hey there

I'd say that any control you can add to work feet and hands....go for it. I commonly play just on the floor and my lap with my hands to work out patterns, etc.
Although, that type of practicing doesn't do much for the "endurance part of Double Bass, etc (I believe that what George was getting at)
I do feel that it benefits your overall coordination and control so it couldn't hurt.
Use that time as a way to get down those tricky stickings, etc....and, don't worry about the "speed" aspect til you can get to the real drums.

I've been dabbling in DB for over 24 years. So, I've been at it a good while. haha.

Cheers,
D

Hey Derek- just wanted to say cheers for the awesome drum clinic you and Dave Atkins put on at the Gold Coast a few months (some footage of the night below). Still don't know how the hell you pulled off those blast beats with the heads as loose as you have them but sounded great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWKVtvkL95c&feature=plcp

You know, I just heard about Billy Hydes just a month ago or so. Also heard that IMD is in trouble.

Sucks to see all these stores going out of business because the local community buys online instead of supporting their local stores. Although, when sticks are double the price in the stores.....makes it tough huh?
Tell me there is something fundamentally wrong with our financial systems.....but, that's a topic for another day. haha.

Cheers for the props.

D

Hey derek!

I'm a big fan of your drumming, you don't play my type of music but I appreciate the skill required.

I'm currently practicing a lot of double bass mostly to get more control over my feet and I do the RH RH RF RF, LH LH LF LF exercise and also single strokes between my feet and hands, groups of three between feet and hands and so on.

I have a lot of different variations of these exercises, do you think it's more effective to practice them for long periods of time say 2 exercises for an hour each every day and just kind of sleep eat and breathe those patterns for say a month or do you think it's better to do maybe 15 minutes of each but do more exercises for 2 hours. Is it better to do few of them for long periods of time and then move on to the next after a few weeks or do you think mixing them up is better and practicing them for a few months maybe?

Also I play bury the beater style but I practice with the beater coming back because it requires more control. Do you think burying the beater will hinder progress? I'm not really interested in playing above 180BPM BTW.

Thanks man.

Keep on rockin, you are awesome.

Derek, Just wanted to say thank for a setup tip you threw out in a thread a few months ago. Since you recomended it I have tried setting up my single bass kit (single pedal) as a double pedal kit with the hi hat taking the place of the second bass drum.

I have noticed that is has worked wonderfully, especially when I have to twist to my right to reach my floor tom. I used to have slight back pain when playing for extended sets but I have noticed that's all but gone now. The only drawback is that my bass drum doesn't sit parallel with the front of the stage but now I can face the audience and the band directly so I'd really chalk it up as a win.

Thanks Derek.

Derek, how long will it take until your forum will be up again (after reworking)?
Will it be like 1-2 weeks? I'm missing it... haha.

Hey derek!

I'm a big fan of your drumming, you don't play my type of music but I appreciate the skill required.

I'm currently practicing a lot of double bass mostly to get more control over my feet and I do the RH RH RF RF, LH LH LF LF exercise and also single strokes between my feet and hands, groups of three between feet and hands and so on.

I have a lot of different variations of these exercises, do you think it's more effective to practice them for long periods of time say 2 exercises for an hour each every day and just kind of sleep eat and breathe those patterns for say a month or do you think it's better to do maybe 15 minutes of each but do more exercises for 2 hours. Is it better to do few of them for long periods of time and then move on to the next after a few weeks or do you think mixing them up is better and practicing them for a few months maybe?

Also I play bury the beater style but I practice with the beater coming back because it requires more control. Do you think burying the beater will hinder progress? I'm not really interested in playing above 180BPM BTW.

Thanks man.

Keep on rockin, you are awesome.

I believe that pushing yourself as long as you can is the fastest way to get there. The more you use them....the better they get. Don't worry about "how fast" as much as the time limit you put on the exercise. (Now, keep in mind, this is if you're trying to play extreme stuff).
Really, the only exercise you need is the 30 minute free fall to gain control, endurance and speed required for playing extreme metal....or just improving your single stroke capability around the kit.

As far as burying the beater....won't hinder your progress but, it sure will hinder your bass drum sound! Haha.

Good luck and keep at it.

Derek, Just wanted to say thank for a setup tip you threw out in a thread a few months ago. Since you recomended it I have tried setting up my single bass kit (single pedal) as a double pedal kit with the hi hat taking the place of the second bass drum.

I have noticed that is has worked wonderfully, especially when I have to twist to my right to reach my floor tom. I used to have slight back pain when playing for extended sets but I have noticed that's all but gone now. The only drawback is that my bass drum doesn't sit parallel with the front of the stage but now I can face the audience and the band directly so I'd really chalk it up as a win.

Thanks Derek.

Rock on Brother. It's amazing to me that drummers haven't figured this out on their own. Haha.
If you don't have my new DVD "Playing with your Drums"....pick it up when you get a chance. Only 12.99 and packed with useful info like that.
Glad it helped you....that's the point! Haha.

Derek, how long will it take until your forum will be up again (after reworking)?
Will it be like 1-2 weeks? I'm missing it... haha.

Don't know as of yet Arky.
Honestly, I'm thinking that the forum won't come back. (I'll use my time to surf in and out of here more often).
What I'm trying to work out will be a "lessons site". Just a place where drummers can view different lessons, etc. Sorta like what I used to do with my Artisan foundry years ago. I think I want to bring back that whole concept.
I'll keep you posted here as to what is going on and a time frame it will be back up and running.
I have a cool vision about what I'd like to see but, just takes time and money.

Cheers,
D

Derek,

I'm not much of a metal guy (I suck at double bass), but I have become a fan of yours over the years. I think it's great that you are so helpful and encouraging to young drummers and give great advice. I've read several interviews and articles on you and just want to say I think you're a class act (not to mention a kickass drummer!!)

I'll never be able to do half the things you do, but it's nice to listen to a metal drummer with TASTE, FEEL, AND TECHNIQUE!! (very rare in my opinion!)

Derek,

I'm not much of a metal guy (I suck at double bass), but I have become a fan of yours over the years. I think it's great that you are so helpful and encouraging to young drummers and give great advice. I've read several interviews and articles on you and just want to say I think you're a class act (not to mention a kickass drummer!!)

I'll never be able to do half the things you do, but it's nice to listen to a metal drummer with TASTE, FEEL, AND TECHNIQUE!! (very rare in my opinion!)

Thanks so much much brother. Your words mean a great deal to me.

Cheers and glad I have somethin to offer in this huge world of drumming! Haha.

D

Derek, you have much to offer. Top of the list being a bloody good bloke with an accommodating attitude :)

Aye I agree, not only that all the help and advice he gives on the forum is great.

He's actively helped me massively over the past few months with my college research task, even with everything that's going on in his life too.

Thanks for everything Derek, hope your site gets sorted soon :D

Back