roland td9k2 or yamaha dtx560k

he4

hello everyone
i just sold my hd-1 kit to buy a better one. and these are the two kits i can't decide between.
i have played the roland's at the store-and one thing that bothered me was that the mesh heads felt so much bouncy comparing to an acoustic drums.
that's why i tend to go for the yamaha - Although i am not able to try it out. this model from some reason is not available in my country (if i go for yamaha i"ll purchase it over the web).
i have tried the dtx900 and it was amazing but obviously this is way out of my budget.
and that's why i need your opinion guys about those two kits.
one more thing is that i am not so into 1000 sounds and effects of the module and more into few natural acoustic like sounds
thanks
hanan

one more thing is that i am not so into 1000 sounds and effects of the module and more into few natural acoustic like sounds
thanks
hanan

If the main thing you want in an e-kit is "natural acoustic like sounds"..get the yamaha....more realistic samples than roland, probably because they are real drum samples...:)

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago and was waiting for the Yamaha to show up so I could try it 1st but then I found a good deal on a TD-4 at GC and I bought that. Well would'nt ya know it the local Best buy got a new yammie 560 in the store yesterday.

I tried it out and it is just as bouncy if not more than my roland mesh heads. They look and physically feel more real I will give em that but they do not play anymore like real heads than rolands.

The sound was the same IMO, they are E-drums. No matter how they say they recorded it it is still just an e-drum.

If your going to spend that kind of money on a kit I would highly recommend you try it 1st. I did and am happy I bought the Roland because after trying the Yamaha I would have preffered the Roland anyway.

If the main thing you want in an e-kit is "natural acoustic like sounds"..get the yamaha....more realistic samples than roland, probably because they are real drum samples...:)
Ok scorch. I let you go unchecked long enough. Roland uses real drum samples also. Don't get silly with your love for Yamaha. Roland had been showing people how to do it for some time now. Probably why they are more expensive. Roland does the R&D for everyone else.

Ok scorch. I let you go unchecked long enough. Roland uses real drum samples also.

Prove it!!!..there have been numerous discussions here about it and at other sites (where Roland reps participate) and they never stepped up to the plate to admit that they use real drum samples...I don't believe they do...if they do they're not very good samples (snares especially)...also there was a website about the company that worked with roland when they first launched the V-drum series...on that website they state that the sounds were not samples...I'll see if I can find that website...in the interim, here is one website article back when they first introduced COSM...you'll notice in there they state "not a single PCM-based sample is used" and "virtual instruments to be built without any samples being involved"...

http://www.sweetwater.com/publications/sweetnotes/sn-latesummer97/page-02.html

Don't get silly with your love for Yamaha.

What a stupid statement!...have you owned both brands??? I doubt it!..I have and still play both brands (td-20sx & DTX900) regularly!...I think that gives me a little advantage on why I say what I say..if I didn't think the yamaha module was better I wouldn't own it...I did own roland modules for 6 yrs. prior to my switch..If someone else comes along with something better I'd have no problem stating that and possibly switching (money permitting)...

Roland had been showing people how to do it for some time now. Probably why they are more expensive. Roland does the R&D for everyone else.

There more expensive because people like you continue to hold them up to some otherworldly status..there not that good!...a td-20 module cost $2500!!!! that's ridiculous!...it's almost a ten year old technology...it can't sample, it doesn't have three
zones per pad, you can't add aftermarket samples (Vex is not added sounds), alot of the user functions such as loops, learning tools, etc... are very dated on the 20...heck the td-4 & 9 have better learning tools, loops than the 20..
..granted I'll give roland kudos for upping the ante in the e-drum world when they first introduced v-drums, but that was almost 15 yrs. ago..they haven't changed that much since then...except for price..

Last edited:
but guys - how does the dtx560 feel as far as the pads are concerned

Yamaha's new TCS (textured cellular silicone) pads don't have as much bounce as mesh pads and they are also quieter (if that is an issue for you)..however, that being said don't take my word for it, you need to try them out for yourself...I wouldn't buy w/o trying them out..

The one knock some drummers have had on mesh pads is that they don't feel like real drums (i.e., too much bounce)...honestly, nothing is going to feel identical to mylar heads except mylar heads..the problem with mylar heads on an e-kit is they generate too much noise...what yamaha has tried to do with their TCS pad is to get as close to the feel of a real drum head (mylar) as possible without adding any unwanted sound/noise and also not to have too much bounce (like mesh)...I've tried them and I liked the feel of them, however I don't currently own any TCS pads..my pads are 1st generation DTXtreme RHP's....that being said I am considering purchasing one of the 12" TCS snare pads..

Last edited:
i finally got my self a new kit...made an extra effort and bought the td9 kx2 i took your advice and went on something i could try out at the store. in generall i am very pleased...though this set is not perffect
thanx guys for the help

Back