Words and spin

Yeah, the spin game is unbearable for me. I can't take it. I just want the truth, but nobody else seems interested. A dry, boring, spin-free account of events is what I want from my media but it's almost impossible to find. I hate the partisan politics game everyone in my country wants to play. What's right and what's real take a back seat to "my side needs to win." Politics features more "go team!" sentiment than any sporting event. At least some sports fans have learned to get past homerism and objectively critique their team. If you do that in politics, you're ostracized from the party immediately.

It's a dismal thing, and I agree that excess of media choices compounds it. Politicos can get away with murder and still maintain a passionate support base. You can ALWAYS find someone who defends the actions of even the most unconscionable people. Partly because anyone can blog an idiotic opinion and partly because controversy sells, so it pays to write something stupid or inflammatory even if you don't actually mean it.

I think it's interesting how people come about choosing their hobbies. In a lot of cases, our hobbies probably represent an escape from the things we don't like. Music is a great escape from almost anything, I guess. I'm an avid chess player, and one of the things I love about it is that truth trumps bull****. You can't spin your way out of a bad position. It's checkmate, motherf*****, and you lose. It also teaches humility, because there's always someone who can kick your a** and you have to learn how to deal with that in an honest way.

Right on the button, 8Mile.

Nice pic Pol! It would have looked good even if you hadn't added the glasses with Photoshop!

Oh, you noticed! :) Vampirism is not dead, it just smells funny ...

News media, Public conversation and Politicians (Políticos) have turned themselves into non-accountable bureaucratic cowards and sick people...Corruption is their God...in many ways.

People always blame the politicians. They're small fry.

I blame the politicians' bosses - the big corporations. Seems to me that government just performs the role of a big shared services administrative unit for the big corporations, who make all the decisions.

Somehow, actions that would be considered utter bastardry by individuals are "sensible" for corporations. Individuals are so much nicer than crowds.

How is it that newpapers can back a political candidate?

Because they are totally focused on self interest - the candidate that most benefits them and their mates. In other words, they are corrupt.

Like others here, I just want real news. Facts.

In the meantime, music is my aeroplane ...

I just gets richer ... Murdoch, after his organisation was busted for phone tapping crime victims for a scoop:
"We are deeply sorry for the hurt suffered by the individuals affected. We regret not acting faster to sort things out."

... The day before, the world's most powerful media mogul was "humbled" and held his head in his hands as he apologised to Milly Dowler's family for the hacking of the murdered schoolgirl's phone by the News of the World.
This is the guy who once boasted that there's never been a government in power that he didn't want. He's humbled. He holds his head in his hands ... where's the bucket? ... and all it means is he'll make sure they don't get caught again.

"Not reacting faster" ... never mind being interested in ethics and having measures in place to prevent this stuff happening.

Somehow, actions that would be considered utter bastardry by individuals are "sensible" for corporations. Individuals are so much nicer than crowds.

Food for thought...don't crowds just reflect the basic nature of the individuals that make them up?

I have posted this video many times but topics like these make me think back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q95kX_EP2Nk&feature=related

Rebekah Brooks reportedly arrested in hacking scandal

The spin may have been halted.

Rebekah Brooks reportedly arrested in hacking scandal

The spin may have been halted.

You know what...... I think she is actually Mick Hucknall from Simply Red in disguise.

( Smart late-career move but you can't fool me, Mick. )

PS-

281763_10150308503016754_785471753_9303844_7767791_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, didn't see that coming. I think Rupert Murdoch looks like a myriad of Harry Potter characters, never the good guys though.

Question From a CONUS dweller, (Continental US). How can RB go from regretting that she can't help steer the organization through troubled waters to getting arrested? This whole affair seems like a recipe for Politics plus media plus $$$$ = disaster.

Back