Why Do I Play Drums?

I think everyone enjoys exercising their God-given talents. Personally, when I'm drumming it feels like it's what I was born to do, and when I'm not drumming I'm looking forward to the next rehearsal. These statements only apply to playing with other musicians. Practicing alone is far less compelling.

Because guitars break when beaten with sticks! In all seriousness, it's about the only time my brain is busy enough to shut out the rest of the world. It's the best pressure releaser on the planet. The fact that it's so dang fun is the icing. :)

It's my happy place.

Attachments

• 2017-02-09-23-34-29--1828213572.jpeg
    2017-02-09-23-34-29--1828213572.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 238
Cause chicks dig drummers.

I don’t know why.
I was born to play the drums. I started playing at about 3 years old. My Dad was a drummer. I don’t even remember learning how to play.
I played until I was 20 years old. Then I completely stopped playing. 45 years later I picked up the sticks and it came back with a vengeance.

I swear, I tried to quit. I do remember at 20 years old the withdrawal symptoms were terrible.
You tell me, why do I play drums? In my case it’s a complete and total addiction.

It gives me pleasure. Why else?

Same here. Probably doesn't give as much pleasure to anybody else though - the way I play, I mean, not the way Mike plays!

It's my tribal instinct, but also the first time i got behind a kit, I could hold a simple beat.

Coordination of limbs is one of my strengths. It's like driving (a manual car) except your canvas is the road instead of a stave

Same here. Probably doesn't give as much pleasure to anybody else though - the way I play, I mean, not the way Mike plays!

No, I am right with you on that. It still matters not, though. As long as we enjoy what we do all is good. I would rather be middling at something and love it than be an obsessive chop merchant who is never happy regardless of how much they play.

As my old Mum was fond of saying "You only really NEED to be two things in life, happy and healthy."

If I didn't play drums, I'd probably be public enemy number one! It channels my rage into something useful that people, most notably females, seem to like. I probably have ADD or ADHD and always did, but back in my day, they didn't know what it was, they just told you that you were a naughty boy! To this day I can't sit down and read a whole book, I lose my concentration very quickly. But I love music if it's good (I have a lot of trouble liking a lot of the new music though because it's NOT) and I have always been drawn to drumming, when I see a band I notice the drummer, always did. And drumming is the only thing I ever was able to stick with. (No pun intended!)

I play drums with my really good friends because it's cheaper than therapy.

I play drums at church because it's my ministry.

Then after I play at church, I play drums with my really good friends because it's cheaper than therapy.

As others have said, It's just so much fun. Also for me though, it's incredible to be able to "communicate" and "connect" with other individuals without speaking. When I lock in with the bassist and the others all join in...no words are spoken yet, we're all connecting and understanding each other. Such a great feeling.

Nothing else makes my brain work so hard in a good way. Coordination, time, external music influence, pattern application, planning ahead, and creativity all at once.

I'm too lazy to stand up while I play music.

Back