Evans Onyx...anyone tried them?

Well, if he is kind enough to offer, I would volunteer to try either the Onyx or the GPlus. These heads are on the market now though so I doubt they need such a service at this point

They have only been out since late December according to the first post so they couldn't have too much feed back yet as to how long they last, or age.

I'd be willing to test out one of the Onyx Emads--my Superkick II broke, and even though Aquarian's sending me a new one, I'd still like to try out another black head for kit.

Thanks for all the comments...and I'm still interested to know what people think of the Onyx once they've tried em. We may start using the forums to select some beta testers to try new product...but we're not ready to do that quite yet.

To answer the question about the Genera Resonant vs the G1 Clear...yes, they both are 10mil thick...but they use different film types. Every film type has it's own unique acoustic signature...and the Genera Reso film produces more upper-mids compared to the G1. It's especially good with a 2-ply top as it returns some of the brilliance and helps the drum project better. When using a 2-ply batter (either G2 or EC2)...the Genera Reso is my first choice. It really helps the drums resonate.

Mike

when a drum is close-miked from the top side, would any acoustic properties created by the bottom head even make it to the microphone? Would the differences only be heard from a couple of feet away, by a mic (or ear) that can "hear" both heads at once?

The bottom head will still affect the overall sound...even in a close-micing situation...in much the same way that it affects what you hear from behind the kit, but to a slightly lesser degree.

man I hate to do this to this thread but since an Evans rep is here and I can't seem to find this info anywhere else...

Where can I send a press-package for endorsement purposes/is the Evans endorsement roster open at this point? I heard its been closed completely before.

And to stay on-topic, the Onyx heads look awesome. I'd love to try them out, if nothing else because they would look great on my Tangerine Glass/smoked chrome kit.

so i just ordered some onyx heads yesterday from my local music store. 12 tom, 14 snare, 16 tom, and a 22 emad. ill let you know what i think about them once i get them tuned up on my kit.

man I hate to do this to this thread but since an Evans rep is here and I can't seem to find this info anywhere else...

Where can I send a press-package for endorsement purposes/is the Evans endorsement roster open at this point? I heard its been closed completely before.

And to stay on-topic, the Onyx heads look awesome. I'd love to try them out, if nothing else because they would look great on my Tangerine Glass/smoked chrome kit.

I see that we did not respond to your question. Sorry for the delay. You can send your info/package to Evans Artist Relations, 595 Smith St., Farmingdale, NY 11735

Rick

will first off they look killer on my sparkly red with black racing stripe gretsch catalina club mob kit. seeing how its a mahagony drum kit its gonna be naturally warm but it still has alot of attack and good focus. im in love with how they sound expecially the bass drum...it has this killer THUMP thats to die for. i had alittle problem with getting the snare drum how i wanted it to sound but i enden up tuning it higher then i normally do it that thing cracks and has really good bite!

Sort of old, but YES! I finally have. I think how I would describe them is 'wet.'

I can't think of the word! D:

I have these on my toms. One word...Fantastic! These look great are extremely easy to tune. I wasn't too fond of the onyx snare batter head though. I went with the Evans EC reverse dot. I like to crank the snare really really tight and with that head it sounds great. Just a little duct tape around the edges and its good to go.

On another note, i still have my factory resonant heads on my toms. Any advice on good resonant heads that will compliment the onyx?

just curious, but I really want to konw what I should do to get a very resonant sound heard in the audiance? currently I have ec2s and I realize they are not what I need. I use a 10 and a 14 tom.

I have these on my toms. One word...Fantastic! These look great are extremely easy to tune. I wasn't too fond of the onyx snare batter head though. I went with the Evans EC reverse dot. I like to crank the snare really really tight and with that head it sounds great. Just a little duct tape around the edges and its good to go.

On another note, i still have my factory resonant heads on my toms. Any advice on good resonant heads that will compliment the onyx?

12412695_400x400.jpg

I took off the duct tape and did a complete re-tune on the Reverse Dot. Much better sounding and looking haha.

Been using the Onyx heads for about a month. They still sound as good as the day I got them. I keep tweeking them every so often, and it just gets better each time. I have finally found my perfect range. I keep em tuned pretty low for that short, punchy sound. Most heads for me to get range I like, the heads are too loose, but these... SUPERB. Great job Evans!

Back to the original subject....

Evans Onyx sound strangely awesome on snares. They just cut, but are soft at the same time. I played a live gig using someone else's snare, and I was impressed. On toms though... I can't find any reso head / tuning combo that doesn't make them sound like paper towels pulled reaaal tight.

i have a question about the onyx heads. I can't find them in my local music shops and when you go on the internet its mostly coming from evans them selfs. Are you shipping them to multiple countrys at all? cause i live in england and lik i said, cant find them

I too wasn't satified with the sound of the Evans Onyx batter heads and I'm a big Evans fan. I tried them on a Pearl Reference kit and couldn't wait to get the G2's back on.

My local Five Star shop has them here in the US.

Dennis

ok, so i manged to borrow a 14" 2 ply onyx head from one of my friends
and on the snare, it sounded very dark and punchy and dident have a heavy ring to it (which is good cause im sick of my genera hd because of that,) but, if you put any dampening on it, the head goes completly dead and lifeless

i went to the most recent NAMM, helping out LP at their booth. I was lucky enough to get a demo from Bob Gatzen, R&D for Evans. Showed me all the new Onyx heads man was I impressed. IMO its the first ebony head Evans has done right. The emad sounds of this world. Im sticking to EC2 clear toms & power center snare, but i just might switch to onyx emad & emad reso.

Back