Mike Portnoy

I consider Mike Portnoy a drumming and song writing god. And with 11 minutes songs, all amazingly technical (Train Of Thought album especially) From start to finish he is still going strong. Thats an amazing ability to have. Plus i cant even get close to playing any of their songs. They aren't THAT hard, but I just cant remember how to do it haha. Ill get half way through and forget how to play it.

yeah one of the most influential drummer these days.
always enjoying watching his performance!
But I prefer his earlier works, like I&W, Awake, those drumming are so organic and interesting.

Ehh.. not a fan of Portnoy, or Dream Theater. IMO Dream Theater is an incredibly cheesy band, it's almost laughable. I fail to see how they are even in the same league as porcupine tree, tool ect;. They're music sounds like its the soundtrack for a Castlevania game.

On the subject of Portnoy, I actually think he is a entertaining drummer, I enjoy watching him drum (no matter how bad the music is.) He seems like he is enjoying what he is doing a lot. And seems very dedicated to his musical endeavors rather than trying to have the best chops around. but I think that he is overrated among the drumming press and his fanboys. I really don't think he innovated anything, and I almost never heard him play a musical situation outside of rock music. And did I mention his kit is ridicoulous? I wouldn't even want a kit that big. I enjoy watching him, but for listening pleasure he is just not my cup of tea.

Ehh.. not a fan of Portnoy, or Dream Theater. IMO Dream Theater is an incredibly cheesy band, it's almost laughable. I fail to see how they are even in the same league as porcupine tree, tool ect;. They're music sounds like its the soundtrack for a Castlevania game.

On the subject of Portnoy, I actually think he is a entertaining drummer, I enjoy watching him drum (no matter how bad the music is.) He seems like he is enjoying what he is doing a lot. And seems very dedicated to his musical endeavors rather than trying to have the best chops around. but I think that he is overrated among the drumming press and his fanboys. I really don't think he innovated anything, and I almost never heard him play a musical situation outside of rock music. And did I mention his kit is ridicoulous? I wouldn't even want a kit that big. I enjoy watching him, but for listening pleasure he is just not my cup of tea.

deep breaths, deep breaths, walk away and count to ten.

I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post.

Even though it's your own opinion...am I out of line?

deep breaths, deep breaths, walk away and count to ten.

I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post, I will not get mad at the this post.

Even though it's your own opinion...am I out of line?

I think he's a bit out of line. Dream Theater are some pretty damn good musicians--he apparently doesn't know.

Firstly, to say that Mike Portnoy has not innovated anything is just crazy. The man is one of the most influential drummers of this generation. I don't care how underrated, or overrated, you might think he is...but you can't argue with that.

Secondly, I truly do not understand why people think Mike Portnoy is overrated. I'd love to see anyone who hates on him play anything he does as consistently and cleanly.

I think it's more of the fact that has popularity has risen VERY rapidly, other famous drummer like Peart, Bonham and the great BR I think had a much steadier increase in popularity. Unless I'm wrong, not all of us were around during the early days of the great.

Firstly, to say that Mike Portnoy has not innovated anything is just crazy. The man is one of the most influential drummers of this generation. I don't care how underrated, or overrated, you might think he is...but you can't argue with that.

Secondly, I truly do not understand why people think Mike Portnoy is overrated. I'd love to see anyone who hates on him play anything he does as consistently and cleanly.

Well, I just don't see what Mike Portnoy innovated. The size of a kit? Anyone can have a big kit. And all because someone is influential, doesn't mean there good. Travis Barker is probably the most influential drummer of this generation. Is he really that good? No. And I don't have to play his music to criticize Mike Portnoy. I shouldn't force myself to play something I don't like.

The reason people think Mike Portnoy is overrated is that he is praised so much by the progressive/drumming community, while their are multiple progressive drummers that are much more advanced and versatile than Mike Portnoy. Given he has a knack for odd time signatures, but overall I feel his drumming lacks the texture and fluidity of other progressive drummers such as Gavin Harrison, Danny Carey, Neil Peart. I think their music their musical approach is much more mature than Mike Portnoy's. He can't solo like Neil Peart, He doesn't have the taste of Gavin Harrison, or the heart-pounding power and emotion of Danny Carey. So im left wondering, what makes Portnoy so special?

And I've heard enough Dream Theater to know I don't like it.

Well, I just don't see what Mike Portnoy innovated. The size of a kit? Anyone can have a big kit. And all because someone is influential, doesn't mean there good. Travis Barker is probably the most influential drummer of this generation. Is he really that good? No. And I don't have to play his music to criticize Mike Portnoy. I shouldn't force myself to play something I don't like.

The reason people think Mike Portnoy is overrated is that he is praised so much by the progressive/drumming community, while their are multiple progressive drummers that are much more advanced and versatile than Mike Portnoy. Given he has a knack for odd time signatures, but overall I feel his drumming lacks the texture and fluidity of other progressive drummers such as Gavin Harrison, Danny Carey, Neil Peart. I think their music their musical approach is much more mature than Mike Portnoy's. He can't solo like Neil Peart, He doesn't have the taste of Gavin Harrison, or the heart-pounding power and emotion of Danny Carey. So im left wondering, what makes Portnoy so special?

I have to say I agree with everything he said in this post. Every time I see that humongous kit I want to laugh. Put Simon Phillips on that kit and he'll melt your brain.

I hear he's a pretty cool guy though, so that counts for something.

I think his playing was much better on earlier DT albums like Images and Words and Awake but his stuff on the Liquid Tension Experiment albums is definately the best he's played.
I think anyone whose heard "When the Water Breaks" would agree.

Eh, I will give it to you. You have somewhat of a good point.

ok, i see that there two sorts of views on this... you either love him or hate him...

personally, i like Dream theaters music, and hold the view that they are all very skilled and competent musicians... however, i also hold the view that Portnoy, while he is a very influential drummer to many poeple, is not the messiah that a lot of people view him as.

however nobody on the forum should deny his abilities, because that isn't just...

I'm a brand new convert to Dream Theater; just brought home Systematic Chaos.

This group is my new religion. It's the band Rush should have been. I could listen to this stuff all day.

It would take a lot of words to describe it...

Mike Portnoy has got the bass-drumming co-ordination thing down pat. Certainly one of the best metal/rock drummers of our time.

Man, I'm envious of his big kit, and the fact that he can play under the influence.

I think his playing was much better on earlier DT albums like Images and Words and Awake but his stuff on the Liquid Tension Experiment albums is definately the best he's played.
I think anyone whose heard "When the Water Breaks" would agree.

That is such a cool song. I've been learing it and there are just some parts that are nuts

Guys, I recently just heard a Dream Theater song called A Change Of Season that are about 23 minutes long. I was just wondering, how would he be recording that song. Would he actually have some time to stop and record parts by part? And if he plays that song in a concert, will he play the whole 23 minutes song? BTW, he's a great influence to my metal/rock drumming!

I'm really taken with this guy. He's a solid groover who can execute complicated, artful stuff with with a rare kind of confidence that you can actually hear and feel. People will talk about him long after he's gone.

I'm really taken with this guy. He's a solid groover who can execute complicated, artful stuff with with a rare kind of confidence that you can actually hear and feel. People will talk about him long after he's gone.

exactly the kind of statement this thread needed.

I love Dream Theater. Every single one of the musicians is incredible. John Petrucci has one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard, not to mention his SICK riffs and solos (Under a Glass Moon anyone?). John Myung is an incredible bass player who plays exactly what is needed for each piece. Jordan Rudess adds another dimension to the sound of the music with his virtuosic keyboard playing. Last but not least, Mike gives his purely aggressive playing style to the sound of the music and gives it that extra punch!

I don't see why anyone could ever say Dream Theater isn't a good band. Cheesey? Maybe. But hey, who really listens to James LaBrie anyway? LOL!

Guys, I recently just heard a Dream Theater song called A Change Of Season that are about 23 minutes long. I was just wondering, how would he be recording that song. Would he actually have some time to stop and record parts by part? And if he plays that song in a concert, will he play the whole 23 minutes song? BTW, he's a great influence to my metal/rock drumming!

He will probably record it in parts. At concerts they play the whole thing.

Back