vocal mic suggestions?

Can never go wrong with a Shure sm58 but you can sometimes find the Audio Technica atm41he for about the same money as the sm58 and it is the equivalent to the beta 58a.

Last edited:
I got burned more than once when a vocalist sang into their turned off microphone, lol. Now if there is a switch, it gets taped on or gets replaced with a non switched model.

Dennis

I got burned more than once when a vocalist sang into their turned off microphone, lol. Now if there is a switch, it gets taped on or gets replaced with a non switched model.

Dennis

As a sound man for other bands I totally agree, the only mic I own with a switch is my personal atm73a headset mic so I can turn it off in the more physical songs that I dont sing so my breathing doesnt come thru and still allows me to turn it back on when I need it without hoping the sound guy remembers to turn me on.

Last edited:

Dennis

That's understandable, we're assuming Mike is a drummer.

Vocalists aren't expected to work a switch, its too complicated a task for them, most drummers have no problem with it.

The task actually fits in with the drill- moving the mic into position, switch, moving it out of the way, switch.

Can't go wrong with the Shure SM58. Great vocal mics.

Whatever you get, better if it has a switch.

I haven't seen any decent mics with switches on them. Switches seem like an attribute of low-end mics, for whatever reasons.

I use a Sure Beta 58A, which is a step up from the SM58. The Beta also does will with cymbals and other stuff without a lot of low end. On the other hand, the President of the United States has used a Shure SM 57 for decades and he's got a good gig.

whats the difference between the SM58 and the Beta 58A?

The Beta models have about a 6db greater output level because of their neodymium magnet, it's has a supercardiod pick-up pattern instead of the usual cardioid pattern, a slight low frequency roll-off to offset their proximity effect and they do cost about $50 USD more than a regular SM58.

I like both, but my go to vocal microphone on live gigs is still the SM58. It just sounds a bit smoother to my ears.

Dennis

'If' you're a singing drummer, believe me you'll be doing yourself a favor if your mic has a switch, either on the handle, or a stomp box. Unless of course you're singing 'every song' on the gig by yourself.

If you're just doing back-ups here and there, and maybe a song or three a night, the switch is a god send.

The honest truth is my favorite vocal mic is the gls es 58 it sounds way better is way cleaner and clearer than the sm 58 and they only cost around 30 dollars the also make a gls es 57 too which is pretty good but for most people I would use the 58 on vocals. I use both for singing myself.

If im renting out gear I send the sm58's because they are almost indestructable, If im doing sound for a band and they dont look like the type to throw the mic on the floor after they rap a line or two..lol , I will use the beta 58's but for my band or my own use its the atm41he if I am out front and if I am singing from behind the kit is the atm73a headset mic for ease of use. I have tried several different methods of boom and goose neck set ups but found its just too unnatural to keep your face pointed at the mic while trying to move around the kit. The headset allows me to move around the kit naturally and still have the mic in the optimum position.

To me sm58s will do the job but get a decent sennheiser or EV mike and theyll sound a lot better.

Back