Dave Grohl

I love this guy, I really do. He's just plain amazing, not just as a drummer but as a MUSICIAN. What a great ear, sense of style, creativity.. etc.

I liked Nirvana but I absolutely love the Foo's. Own all of their records , and dvd's, but unfortunately I never saw them live (I live in Uruguay, and they seem to refuse to come to Argentina) :'( :'(

Yesterday I went to a QOTSA show, and I thought "Damn, if somehow I could be Josh's friend, I could meet Dave" haha..

Sh*t, I really have a sick fascination with Grohl. :(

Grohl has an strong personality as a drummer, which I like.

You're views on Dave Grohl? Technique

Recently I asked what peoples views were on Taylor, his technique etc. etc.
But what about Dave' technique? I know Dave doesn't show off and during his early days of drumming he'd watch Treasures of Drumming (before even had a kit). Loads of drum techs say his technique is remarkable, especially his bass technique.

Does Dave use elbows like Taylor or does he use wrists more?
I know Dave has a really good grip and plays the grip like a taught drummer and I'm pretty sure he lets the stick bounce and uses the proper Match Grip.

What about you guys?

Re: You're views on Dave Grohl? Technique

I know I like Dave a lot. Was a Nirvana fan from when they first broke (internationally that is, I wasn't lucky enough to see them in full flight at a local Seattle bar).....and he totally blew me away when I saw Them Crooked Vultures.

As for technique, well for me it's a means to an end. There are many drummers I like who have excellent technique, there are many again, who's technique at times seems a little suspect by technical standards, but what they are actually able to express on the kit does it for me.

The only drummer whos "technique" concerns me, is me. For everyone else, I hold "expression" in higher regard. So that said, I really enjoy Dave's playing.....regardless of whether his Moeller action or his matched grip is "correct" or not. :)

I don't know about Grohl's technique efficiency, but I think he's a great rock drummer. Songs For The Deaf is one of the most perfect drumming (and all round) albums of all time.

What I love about Dave (beyond his uncanny ability to deliver exactly the right thing for the song) is his ability to make a four-piece sound like a huge multi-tom, multi-bass monster kit. When I hear him play... I have to step back an realize that's four drums and maybe three cymbals that he's wrenching all of that tone and sound out of.

If you have not checked out his playing on Probot, you really are missing out.

What I love about Dave (beyond his uncanny ability to deliver exactly the right thing for the song) is his ability to make a four-piece sound like a huge multi-tom, multi-bass monster kit. When I hear him play... I have to step back an realize that's four drums and maybe three cymbals that he's wrenching all of that tone and sound out of.

If you have not checked out his playing on Probot, you really are missing out.

Dave uses single pedals, that's what really impresses me. and I believe he uses a 10 piece kit now with Them Crooked Vultures and allot of cymbals. On the Foo Fighters drum solo he does and impressive triplets thing, I love Dave!

I love Dave, He's the reason I started to play drums!
I think it was the way he beat the crap out of his kit and was fun to watch, same as Taylor Hawkins, I can't stand drummers who just sit behind their drums playing the song barely moving, looking quite boring =P

I think it was this single video that convinced me, I needed to start -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee6xkwVucIE

I don't know about Grohl's technique efficiency, but I think he's a great rock drummer. Songs For The Deaf is one of the most perfect drumming (and all round) albums of all time.

+1 - the drumming on Go With the Flow is sensational. Not difficult, just pure adrenalin!

I respect Dave's drumming on everything that he's done. It always fits 100% and he's a cool guy!

Dave does the job dead right for the song, and always having fun while drumming. I really like his totally free spirit.

I'm not really impressed w/his drumming. I'm not saying he's bad. I get what he wants to do and what he's doing behind the kit. I just don't think it's that great - technique wise.

What does impress me about him is that he really knows what a song needs as a rock drummer and I'm really impressed by what he's done w/ the Foo Fighters as a leader.

Jojo Mayer'- DVD 'Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer' says that technique is purely a means to an end (of course, I'm paraphrasing) but I wholeheartedly agree. From that point of view, Grohl's playing is technically flawless. He does everything he wants to do and very powerfully. As a model of the modern Rock drummer, he's just about the best model I could think of playing-wise.

Sure, his 'actual' technique is fairly hard and powerful and he doesn't use the subtle ranges available through other methods often but it just doesn't matter. Great musician.

Dave uses single pedals, that's what really impresses me. and I believe he uses a 10 piece kit now with Them Crooked Vultures and allot of cymbals.

6-piece actually. One rack tom, two floor toms and a mounted bass drum to his left.

crookedvultures452.jpg

Back