Stick question.

My usual stick size is 5A.
When I'm practicing with my band I use 2B's. Then when I'm performing at a gig, I switch over to my 5A's.

7A sticks...I never liked the tone it extracted from the drums, not enough weight for the job IMO. They sound thin. I use them when I'm forced to play ultra quiet, that's it.

The thicker the stick, the better tones it extracts from the drum, JMO.

I used to feel the same way, Larry - 5As all the way.

These days I only use Billy Stewart Zildjian sticks, the lightest 7As I could find. I find the weight of sticks makes me hit the drum differently - if you use 7As and straight after using 5As, it will seem thin but if you use them for a while your ear/body does seem to adjust. Mine did, anyway. Still, if went back to playing rock I'd also go back to 5As, for sure.

As 5A is the most common stick you really should try them first. It's strange that you've gone from 7A to 5B and missed them out.

Wouldn't it be nice if we started the drum stick numbering convention from scratch. It's a complete puzzle to a beginner.

Davo

Vater Sugar Maple sticks but warning: they are not as strong as normal sticks (wood begins with a H but cant remember the rest..) so may have the buy sticks more oftens. However I love the 5A size but the weight of 7' so they are perfect for me!

Regal Tip makes a W or wide series. 5BW is just a bit fatter than a 5B. I bought a Jazz series W which is about a 7A but a little fatter.

Bopworks are some of the best sticks out on the market IMO. All are usually shorter and thinner than today's stick, and made of hickory. They feel, sound, and last much better than any other stick I've owned or played, though some hickory Pro-Marks I tried were pretty nice - the 747's I believe.

Back