Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

benadrian

I did a search for this and I apologize if it's been covered elsewhere and I just didn't find it.

I love the look and ease of a bass drum mounted cymbal stand. My new kit came with one, and I was very happy about that fact. However, after receiving it, there are two big issues.

1. the stand is pretty crappy
2. it doesn't go high enough.. it's about 4 inches too short.

So, I'd like to get a nice replacement. the problem is, I can't find them anywhere, at least not online to even get a price idea.

I like the look of the DWSM770, but my drum has a Ludwig bracket on it, so if the hole patterns don't match, I don't want to have to drill any more holes.

Other than that, I don't know where to go or what to look for. I did find a stand on drumbuilder.com, but I couldn't really assess anything about it. Plus, this whole thing feels a bit silly as I've used a straight floor stand for years, and it's not like it's ever given me any issues.

Cheers!

Ben Adrian

Age old problem. The Ludwig cymbal L-arm mount is typically/traditionally a floor tom leg mount. And also used with the fold out spurs on the old kicks. The new Ludwig catalog I just picked up at NAMM doesn't show 1 kit with that feature. Nor do they show it as a hardware item. I guess fewer and fewer people want that feature. You've probably gonna have to play the old eBay vintage parts hunt. Lots of cats used to place a second mount in tandem with the first, for extra holding power. How long of an L-arm you have right now, I don't know. Perhaps you already have to longest they make, in which case you might need to have one custom made for you.

Age old problem. The Ludwig cymbal L-arm mount is typically/traditionally a floor tom leg mount. And also used with the fold out spurs on the old kicks. The new Ludwig catalog I just picked up at NAMM doesn't show 1 kit with that feature. Nor do they show it as a hardware item. I guess fewer and fewer people want that feature. You've probably gonna have to play the old eBay vintage parts hunt. Lots of cats used to place a second mount in tandem with the first, for extra holding power. How long of an L-arm you have right now, I don't know. Perhaps you already have to longest they make, in which case you might need to have one custom made for you.
I was just checking out that catalog and it still lists a shell mount cymbal holder. I think it's L1372.

...Gibralter makes one.

it looks like this.

This thing will go halfway up to the bloody ceiling, and it does fit a Ludwig cymbal arm and bracket.

I use the DW cymbal arm , plus a couple of different home made ones. to see them, you can check out some of the other pictures that I have posted. Maybe you may get an idea that you can use.

If it is a longer L Arm that you need, I may have a spare.

Good Luck in your search.

barry

...Gibralter makes one.
If it is a longer L Arm that you need, I may have a spare.

Good Luck in your search.

barry

Barry. I was looking through your photo album yesterday. Very nice, and it makes me realize that I really do think the DW looks classy and seems to have the most function.

I also should mention that I have a 20" kick, and the mount seems to be a bit more down and to the side than most. Because of this, I think it leaves a result of the too-low cymbal, where as if it was in the normal place, it would be just high enough for me.

Also, the wingnut, cymbal holder part is kinda cheap. I think it IS and actual old ludwig. It looks like the drawing in the catalog. However, I just feel that it will disintegrate if I did try to use it on a regular basis.

Cheers!

Ben Adrian

Barry. I was looking through your photo album yesterday. Very nice, and it makes me realize that I really do think the DW looks classy and seems to have the most function.

I also should mention that I have a 20" kick, and the mount seems to be a bit more down and to the side than most. Because of this, I think it leaves a result of the too-low cymbal, where as if it was in the normal place, it would be just high enough for me.

Also, the wingnut, cymbal holder part is kinda cheap. I think it IS and actual old ludwig. It looks like the drawing in the catalog. However, I just feel that it will disintegrate if I did try to use it on a regular basis.

Cheers!

Ben Adrian

...have you checked the hole spacing between the Ludwig bracket and the DW ?

I have used Collar Lock, DW, Gibralter, and Ludwig brackets on different drums. Some of the spacings are close enough that all you have to do is ream the existing holes with a conical drill bit file. I am at work right now, but when I get home, I will go through some of my rat piles and see what I can find. I know that I have a Ludwig , Gibralter, DW, and Collar Lock bracket somewhere. If the Luddy and the DW are close, you may be good to go.

Barry

...have you checked the hole spacing between the Ludwig bracket and the DW ?

I have used Collar Lock, DW, Gibralter, and Ludwig brackets on different drums. Some of the spacings are close enough that all you have to do is ream the existing holes with a conical drill bit file. I am at work right now, but when I get home, I will go through some of my rat piles and see what I can find. I know that I have a Ludwig , Gibralter, DW, and Collar Lock bracket somewhere. If the Luddy and the DW are close, you may be good to go.

Barry

That would be awesome!

Thanks so much!

Ben

...Ben.

I could not find the Ludwig bracket. I will look again tonight and post.

Barry

If its only 4 inches too short why not try a 6 inch cymbal stacker on top and have some left to adjust. Cheap fix.

If its only 4 inches too short why not try a 6 inch cymbal stacker on top and have some left to adjust. Cheap fix.

That seems like a Rube Goldberg kind of fix. I'd rather just use a floor stand than assemble a stacker to a rickety stand. Besides, I'd just like it to look classy as well.

Good quick fix idea, though!

Cheers!

Ben Adrian

...as promised

I found the Ludwig, DW,Collar Lock, and Gibralter tom brackets.

Excuse the perspective but hole to hole center spacing for the Ludwig bracket is 1 7/8 inches. If you measure from screw holes end to end, you have 2 1/4 inches.

The DW is 2 inches center to center. If you take a conical file bit for a drill, or a dremmel you can widen the existing holes in your bass drum to accomodate the DW bracket. The Ludwig requires a more exact spacing as the screw holes protrude into the shell whereas the DW sits flush. The Collar Lock bracket has the same hole spacing as the DW. The Gibralter would also require you to widen the holes a little, and like the ludwig, the screw holes also protrude through the shell.

If you like the DW, you should be able to swap it out with your Ludwig without too much effort. If you can not find a conical file bit, you could try using a larger drill bit, or a small round hand file to widen the existing screw holes instead.

If you do make the change, post some pics and let us know how it turns out for you.

Good Luck and good drumming.

Barry

Last edited:
I found the Ludwig, DW,Collar Lock, and Gibralter tom brackets.

Excuse the perspective but hole to hole center spacing for the Ludwig bracket is 1 7/8 inches. If you measure from screw holes end to end, you have 2 1/4 inches.

If you do make the change, post some pics and let us know how it turns out for you.

Barry

Hey Barry,

You rule! Thanks so much.

I'll post photos for whatever I do.

Ben

Hi all!

This seems to be a not very popular topic as i cannot find anything anywhere on mounting these things:

I got the Gibraltar SC-GBDCA bass drum mounted cymbal stand and I am trying to figure out where to mount it on the bass drum.

i have a gretsch catalina maple 18 x 22 bass drum. I am confident i can correctly mount the base for the arm. my question is: if i mount the arm down on the side of the drum (in order to have my ride cymbal lower), is it going to compromise the stand because of the angle?

Is the 12" arm as short as Gibraltar goes? If I could find, say, an 8" arm; that would be perfect. thanks all!!

Hi all!

This seems to be a not very popular topic as i cannot find anything anywhere on mounting these things:

I got the Gibraltar SC-GBDCA bass drum mounted cymbal stand and I am trying to figure out where to mount it on the bass drum.

i have a gretsch catalina maple 18 x 22 bass drum. I am confident i can correctly mount the base for the arm. my question is: if i mount the arm down on the side of the drum (in order to have my ride cymbal lower), is it going to compromise the stand because of the angle?

Is the 12" arm as short as Gibraltar goes? If I could find, say, an 8" arm; that would be perfect. thanks all!!

I did a home made job (using floor tom leg holder and other random parts) but same concept as Gibraltars and the many other bass drum cymbal mounts. For the location - , when looking at the base drum from its front, I mounted at about 10 o'clock position, almost in line with one of the front lugs. The danger with mounting to close to the edge , along the side of bass drum (say 9 o'clock) , is that will put the most stress on the holes, esp. with a large heavy cymbal. You should try it out in a few positions before drilling of course.

I'm a big fan of these mounts, they save room and the carrying weight of an extra cymbal stand (i.e. for gigs in tight spaces)

did a home made job (using floor tom leg holder and other random parts) but same concept as Gibraltars and the many other bass drum cymbal mounts. For the location - , when looking at the base drum from its front, I mounted at about 10 o'clock position, almost in line with one of the front lugs. The danger with mounting to close to the edge , along the side of bass drum (say 9 o'clock) , is that will put the most stress on the holes, esp. with a large heavy cymbal. You should try it out in a few positions before drilling of course.

I'm a big fan of these mounts, they save room and the carrying weight of an extra cymbal stand (i.e. for gigs in tight spaces)

Right On...

The only problem I'm forseeing is that it's going to raise my ride about 3 inches higher than where I have it right now.

Does anyone make a shorter post?

Back