Manu Katche

Thank you, Sticktrick, for the Secret World recommendation. I bought it just yesterday. I've been meaning to check out Peter Gabriel for a long time but somehow never got round to it; now I'm going to have to buy lots of albums - I love that DVD!! It's great to see someone perform who really cares about putting on a show. It's also great to see someone so uninhibited on stage. By that I mean someone who you could say is not a 'good' dancer, but sucks you in through sheer individuality and masses of charisma. I also loved the way he got his musicians to participate in his crazy dances: seeing Tony Levin hopping about the stage is a remarkable contrast to seeing him playing the Paul Simon gig, sitting down looking very serious and nodding his head a bit!

It's probably foolish to give my thoughts on Manu's playing now because no doubt they'll change in time, but just a couple of things did annoy me a bit. Firstly, the splashes. Now this is just a pet hate of mine, ever since I listened to a recording of me playing a big band concert at university and hearing myself hit my damn splash every couple of bars. I removed it from my kit after that, and 3 years later I've never felt like putting it back. I prefer them to be used sparingly and for effect, but Manu plays them all the time on this DVD. Anyhow, that's just my gut feeling. Secondly, he played that loose-8th-note-triplet type fill all the time...got on my nerves quite quickly. But apart from these two minor things, yeah it was great!

I googled the femal vocalist, Paula Cole. Apparently it was her song that was used as the Dawson's Creek theme. Hehe. I'm sure all the Americans know that but I'd never heard of her before.

I belong to those who never understood why Manu hit it big. I mean he's definitvely a very good drummer but I do not hear anything special in his playing. I quite like some of his work on Sting's live album but that's about it. I've seen him live in Montreux "opening" for Dave Weckl. Let's talk about separating the men from the boys. Manu looked bored even with his own band (Pino Palladino and Sting's guitar player Dominic Miller).

And yes, France's Pop Idol/Star or whatever sucks big time ! And Manu is the most critical of the four judges.... Still, I've watched it a few times and was wondering what Manu found in some of the candidates...

Hi eerybody...
I saw Manu last monday with his group called Tendance...
Manu is a uncredible drummer... Great touch, groove, and many other things that every drummer should have....

whoa...just listened to nothing like the sun again, and payed attention to the drummer
this guy is a funky munky beast!

Sticktrick said:
Ups...

Just found out that it´s possible to upload stuff directly. So here it is. Enjoy!

I love transcribing, so if you want more, let me know. Also, please comment on how you like it.

Sticktrick, great transcriptions. Yes, I'll take some more Manu notes if you have them. I've been listening to Sting's The Soul Cages and Manu really feels some of those slower floaty songs and plays some great fills.

Stu_Strib said:
This guy plays perfectly for the music. He is the perfect drummer that never calls attention to himself unnecesarily!

So true. Other than the many examples of such good playing already mentionned in this thread, I could add the work he's done with Francis Cabrel. Great great latin rhythms, on quiet songs which could have been easily ruined with out-of-place drumming.

Crazy said:
To me he sounds like a music store drummer more than a pro.

WOW! This statement is now in my top 5 of the dumbest ones I ever read here on Drummerworld!

Well, how about this: If he really was playing like a music store drummer, how exactly do you think he made it onto one stage with Sting or PG?? Are you saying that these two guys are so untalented and unaware of what their Drummer is doing that they just didn´t realize that the guy couldn´t play??

Hmmmm... I guess that you must be such a great musician that you never listen to such untalented people like Sting or PG because their music isn´t rather special, is it?

Next time you post don`t forget that you are posting something on the most famous drumming board on the Net. Some of the guys that we are talking about here actually do read this and answer to some posts. If I was Manu and had to read your stupid statement, I´d be really annyoed by the fact that some punk who doesn´t know anything about me posts such bs. Well - as far as I know Manu, he probably wouldn`t care a bit.

Sticktrick said:
WOW! Well - as far as I know Manu, he probably wouldn`t care a bit.

Manu is such an unasuming player...he "get's it". These other guys just don't get it. No mask, no tatooes, no obnoxious behavior, no flashy kit, just solid drumming and expert musicianship. He is a musician's musician.

A lot of people have a "quiet confidence" about them, because they can play, and their reputation gets them the good gigs. Professionalism goes a long way in many musical circles. It has worked for me for several years now (although I'm by no means quiet on here, I am in person).

That is so true...

I shouldn`t bother so much about these kind of statements....

You`re right: Manu gets it and some others just don´t get it. As long as people like Sting and PG realize who "gets it", the right people will be on gigs and thats cool. Getting gigs is not about beeing the drumming super hero, but about beeing a good musician on the drums.

And thats just what Manu is. Thats the reason he worked for so many great artists.

Manu's a heck of a player.

I think his biggest strength really lies in his subtlies....he's not the type of player that just OVERWHELMS with you some crazy chops out fusion lick. I find that with his best stuff....it's little hits he makes with the band, or perfectly time ride cymbal bell parts that you might even miss the first time you hear the song...but you probably feel it. Then when you go back and listen to it you're like "Whoa..that was totally killer"

I really dig his playing for sure, he really is a painter.

Some of his playing I really like is on Tracy Chapman's Matters of the heart. Really tasty pocket, innovative playing and a killer drum sound. His splash work is top notch, what i've noticed he does quite a lot is end his fills on a splash, it's a great effect.

peace.

I don't care, what Marvin says about Sting. Marvin is a great player and I'm sure he has his reasons for saying this. Read the Miles Davis Autobio - he says the same thing - its a fact that Sting was always going for the best musicians out there. If I had the money he has and wanted my music to be played right, I'd do that too.

So what?? I don`t get it.

If Sting was trying to get the best musicians out there to polish up his ego, what does that say about Manu??

That he is a great player, right?

If I had the money Sting has I'd be out there trying to hire all the best players too. It's a good thing that people like him still exist, there are mighty few bands that a musician can actually aspire to play in these days. I felt good seeing Josh Freese on stage with Sting at Live 8, it must have felt great for Josh knowing he was sitting in a seat previously occupied by Stewart Copeland, Omar Hakim, Manu Katche, Vinnie Colaiuta and more. And you can be very sure he got paid well for it.

What exactly is the problem again?

The point was that Manu sounded great with Sting and Peter Gabriel and that as soon as he starts playing, I have to smile and feel really good.

:)

The problem was, that Sting was said to be hiring musicians to polish up his ego and that Manu was sounding like a music store drummer and..... hey, you know what: I listen to the live version of "in your eyes" again and leave this discussion because there really is no point to if. I love his style, others might not which is basically their problem (if it is a problem for them).

I totally love this guy and if anybody can give me a list of songs he has done with sting and peter gabriel that you recomend i should listen to please list them, or better yet give me the title of all the albums that have great drumming by Manu.... I am really inspired... I wanna see some videos of him know where i can get any?

drummaman1 said:
After listening to "Secret World" (will pick up DVD soon) and soon after "Soul Cages" I became a big-time Manu fan. When I found out he was again playing with Sting (in 2000, I believe) I was psyched.
I picked up the "Live at the Universal Amphiteatre" DVD and ...sadly, I've only watched it once since I bought it. Sting looks completely full of himself, more so than ever (and I love his music) and Manu looks like he'd rather...be on the French "Pop Idol" show!!! I was so dissapointed...his playing sounds...bored. The only time in the DVD that had any energy was when Manu came out front to do the French Rap in the song "Perfect Love...Gone Wrong". Other than that, I think the machine playing all the drum loops was having a better time on that stage than Manu. You can see it.
I certainly hope that Manu will start up some fresh funky drum stuff soon, so we can all copy what he's doing!!

I saw this show at Mesa Del Sol in Albuquerque and Johnny Lang mopped the stage with Sting and his band. I was extremely disappointed since it was the first time I had seen Sting live and had to drive eight hours each way to see the show. OKC wasn't on his tour schedule. I am a both, a big Sting fan (as well as Peter Gabriel) and a Manu Katche fan. As far as more Manu tracks, you might try Joni Mitchell's Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm disc and I think that Manu played on a Robbie Robertson album. Manu changed the way I play drums.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw

Awesome solo. So much finesse, such a nice cymbal work. Such great use of dynamics. A masterpiece. And I don't usually enjoy solos very much.

The minute or so of playing with the band before the solo is just as great.

What a fantastic player.

This was one of the first drummers I was turned onto even before I began drumming.(Thanks Dad)
And wow, what a heck of a player his solid, grooves, and tasteful.
I was blown away then and am still blown away.
As said before, he his a musicians musician.

Back