Claus Hessler

Arky

Platinum Member
I was surprised that there wasn't a Claus Hessler thread in the Drummers section already - so let's create one.

Some aspects of his drumming career include having studied with Jim Chapin and Dom Famularo, publishing several tutorials (Open-Handed Playing, with co-author Dom Famularo, and his brand new tutorial, his 2-DVD set "Drumming Kairos"). Because of his close study with Jim Chapin his Moeller technique is considered being extremely close to the original technique. Thus, Claus has been among the authors who were involved in the new edition of G. L. Stone's "Accents & Rebounds".

Claus is also a prominent advocate of open handed playing.

I had some e-mail correspondence with Claus and he said he would join this forum and be glad to reply to the questions posted here! How cool is that.

I have studied Claus's work extensively. He is one of my favorite drummers. His phrasing is some of the most unique of all players today.

I worked from "OpenHanded Playing Vol 1" for about a year, daily. It changed my playing dramatically and it felt great.

-sheldon

A couple of videos and the clinic/masterclass dates...

With Paul Gehrig on Hammond B3 (= one of my favourite sounds!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TighbyToJs&feature=youtu.be

With bassist Stefan Hergenröder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrOpzQfkS0M

The fall/winter dates:

30 October, Nottingham (UK)
31 October, London (UK)
8 November. St. Gallen (Switzerland)
9 November, Winterthur (Switzerland)
10 November, Eschen (Liechtenstein)
15 November, Wetzikon (Switzerland)
16 November, Brixen (Italy)
19 November, Frankfurt (Germany) w/Sax Therapy
23 November, Dijon (France) - Wizdom Drummers Weekend
1 December, Tehran (Iran)
7 December, Frankenthal (Germany)
8 December, Ulm (Germany)
14 December, Hammelburg (Germany)
6 January, Perpignan (France)

I've seen Claus do a few clinics and a couple masterclasses. Not only is his technique mind-blowing, but he's also an entertainer, has a great sense of humour, and makes sure you go home motivated.

What impressed me most was how he likes to find out at the beginning of a clinic or masterclass what exactly people are interested in, what stuff they're working on, etc. During the event he will not only answer all the questions, but make you understand how quite a few of the seemingly unrelated topics are in fact very much related.

In case you do have any questions re the Moeller technique. He most definitely is your man! Highly recommended!

I'll definitely be at the event in Liechtenstein. Possibly also one of the clinics in Switzerland.

Patrice

As some of you might know, the Modern Drummer Readers Poll 2014 is ongoing - here's the link:

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2013/11/modern-drummer-readers-poll-2014/#.UpmgwuIUwRo

Daily Drumset Workout has been nominated Best Educational Book in the above poll.
People are welcome to cast their vote before December 15.

Also, just let me remind you that Claus' new DVD DRUMMING KAIROS is available already.
Get ready to invest some time though - there's a plethora of great concepts and exercises.

Looking forward to seeing Claus live for the first time next weekend.

Last edited:
Just returned from a workshop with Claus and Stefan Hergenröder (el. bass) held at the DrumAcademy at Frankenthal (a half hour from where I live) - it was great and inspiring.

Take a look at patrice's post from Oct. 22nd - there's a link with the both of them playing a superb instrumental. They performed this piece of music today (and a bit more, on top of the workshop itself) and it was super enjoyable to sit there and watch/listen. And super nice to have a word or two with those guys. The first third to half of the workshop was split into the bass guitar vs. drums groups and then merged. A lot of valuable info and great insights.

Thanks for the review, Arky. :)

Haven't seen the two of them together, but clinics/masterclasses with Claus are always fun, entertaining and educational.

BTW: Claus is on the cover of the January/February 2014 issue of the German mag "drums & percussion". Available now. My copy should arrive tomorrow.

Patrice

Just returned from a workshop with Claus and Stefan Hergenröder (el. bass) held at the DrumAcademy at Frankenthal (a half hour from where I live) - it was great and inspiring.

Take a look at patrice's post from Oct. 22nd - there's a link with the both of them playing a superb instrumental. They performed this piece of music today (and a bit more, on top of the workshop itself) and it was super enjoyable to sit there and watch/listen. And super nice to have a word or two with those guys. The first third to half of the workshop was split into the bass guitar vs. drums groups and then merged. A lot of valuable info and great insights.

Thanks for the review, Arky. :)

Haven't seen the two of them together, but clinics/masterclasses with Claus are always fun, entertaining and educational.

BTW: Claus is on the cover of the January/February 2014 issue of the German mag "drums & percussion". Available now. My copy should arrive tomorrow.

Patrice
I have that issue already. In fact that was the very first drum magazine I ever bought in my life, haha! (I have lots of drum DVDs but haven't ever bought a drum magazine until now.) There's a cool and long interview with Claus. 2 days ago I was in the very same basement where the Drumming Kairos DVD was shot (at Florian Alexandru-Zorn's home) - a really cool place, the Meinl Cymbal Night was held there a few months ago (with Chris Coleman presenting the cymbals). (Don't ask why I was there, haha.)

Thanks for the thread! I did not have time to post when I first saw it, but literally the thing I was doing prior to seeing this thread was watching Claus' PASIC clinic on YouTube. Monday, I had my wife buy me the Open Handed Playing book for Christmas, should be here today.

I am a new drummer, right handed, played less than a year. My drum teacher is an I.U. Jacobs School grad who is left handed and plays open. He is very into Moeller and rebound. He always crosses when teaching. I finally decided a few days ago to ask him teach me exactly the way he plays, instead of crossed. We will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Hello everybody,
glad to hear that you are enjoying my work :) Just saw a post on fb about the most interesting new product for 2013 which also includes the Sabian Garage Ride - that the people at Sabian and myself put together in collaboration. Here's the link:

http://www.musiker-board.de/artikel/umfrage-bemerkenswerteste-produkt-2013-aus-bereich-drums/

Also, I hope to catch up better with my freaking office work and to visit drummerworld more often ... but there is just soooo much to do, including preparations for a DAILY DRUMSET WORKOUT iBook with some nice additions, iBook versions of OPEN-HANDED PLAYING 1 and a new release that I am currently working on about rudimental playalongs. Expect some little teasers soon, enjoy the DRUMMING KAIROS and talk soon! All the best, Claus

Hey Seth, thanks for being interested in the Garage Ride. At first, Sabian just thought of trying it for the European/German market. However I am sure that sales might also be expanded internationally once there is enough demand for it … You might just ask back with Sabian saying you are interested in checking it out?
I really think it adds something to my palette of sound that I didn't have before. Here's a little clip of a band project where I am mostly using two different Garage Rides, Extreme Crashes, Artisan Hats, feel free to share it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK5BYo-U0to&list=FLKg0ePEy4gNjL9IbW8L3H6g

Thanks!

C.

Hi everyone, in case you have been wondering about the contents of "Drumming Kairos", here's some more info on the DVD through the eyes of a "user" …
http://prodrumblog.com/claus-hessler-drumming-kairos

In case you have already seen the DVD and worked with it: Anything that you like about it?
Any questions on it? Feel free to bring them on - everything will be answered!

Best, C.

Hi everyone, in case you have been wondering about the contents of "Drumming Kairos", here's some more info on the DVD through the eyes of a "user" …
http://prodrumblog.com/claus-hessler-drumming-kairos

In case you have already seen the DVD and worked with it: Anything that you like about it?
Any questions on it? Feel free to bring them on - everything will be answered!

Best, C.

I've had the DVD for several months, and I think it's excellent. Since I already had (and have worked out of) your Daily Drum Set Workout book, the part that interested me the most was all of the material on hand technique. I've spent some time working on the Moeller exercises, as well as the pull out ruff-based exercises, and have found them very helpful. I especially like the "Freak Moeller" exercises that focus on playing whip-based ostinatos with one hand while playing various patterns (with "formal" free strokes) with the other. This is stuff which I've practiced to some extent in the past, but to have it laid out in such a thorough fashion is great. It really has huge practical benefits on the drum set, and it's great to hone this style of independence on a pad before adding the feet. As you indicate, some of this stuff "looks easy" but is not, and I suspect that a lot of us have a history of "sort of but not quite" pulling this stuff off when playing the set. It becomes so much more smooth and relaxed at the kit after being able to play these kind of exercises cleanly on the pad.

The "reverse" Syncopation-style exercises look great, although I haven't really practiced any of them yet. And of course, just in general, there is a wealth of philosophical information on all sorts of aspects to being a musical drummer, that are good to have reinforced.

Lastly, the solos you play on the DVD are inspiring.

Awesome playing Claus!

I can see also my friend Hoefler in some videos too, haven't seen him in over 20 years, best regards to him too!

Alex Sanguinetti

Hey Ed and Alex,

the regards will be submitted and thanks Ed for your in depth comment on "Drumming Kairos"! Great to hear that you like the "Freak Moeller" stuff, and glad that you are seeing the benefits of it - that is exactly what I created them for. Many of the pages are simply exercises that I have been working on for quite a long time … and every now and then I am still practicing those and discover new aspects in the process. In case you find the time you are welcome to leave a positive comment with amazon.com or spread the word in some other form - thanks a lot!

Oh, and I bet you'll love the "Reverse Syncopation" pages - they turned out to be some of my all-time favorites :)

So far, so good, stay tuned for more and enjoy the Kairos!

Claus

Back