Double bass issue

Alright so i have the tama iron cobras and there nice pedals but my right pedal feels sooo much smoother than my left.. Anyone know what i should do?

I'm assuming you're talking about a double pedal and not two actual bass drums?

The slave pedal is always a little slower and not as smooth as the primary. Unless it's really noticeable or making some kind of strange grinding noise, I think this is normal. My one and only experiment with double bass was with two bass drums and two pedals, and that's really the way I liked it ;)

I echo Bo...and would add concentrated left foot exercises...like you would develop your off hand(assuming you are right hand dominate).

Pedal will still be the pedal...but you will be able to use it to your fullest extent.

This might sound a little elementary but make sure the connecting rod is properly seated on each pedal, make sure the tension rods on the length adjustment are secure. If it's an older pedal then the connecting rod may have worn joints, this happened to mine twice over a long time. Rotate the connecting rod with your hand and see if there's a delay in the movement of the joints, if so then replace the connecting rod, and maybe look at using something from another manufacturer (use the Z link from the demon drive if you can).

One trick I did to strengthen my left foot was to rearrange my drums into a left-handed configuration for a bit. I'd still ride with the right hand, but my foot pedals were reversed. Really helped, not only for strengthening my left foot, but also for limb independence since my hands were still playing righty.

Simple replacing the spring on the slave pedal side, with a stronger spring, might be the cure.​

Back