Japan's Earthquake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I'm wondering how this will affect the future availability of Yamaha drums. Any opinions?

No idea. The mid and lower end stuff shouldn't be affected seeing as they are largely manufactured elsewhere.

I am absolutely stunned by the efficiency of the procedures that the Japanese Government have implemented as a result of the Earthquake. It is a truly remarkable event and an even more remarkable response.

No idea. The mid and lower end stuff shouldn't be affected seeing as they are largely manufactured elsewhere.

I am absolutely stunned by the efficiency of the procedures that the Japanese Government have implemented as a result of the Earthquake. It is a truly remarkable event and an even more remarkable response.

They have a lot of earthquakes, and earthquake contingencies. It is everyday life for them.

They have a lot of earthquakes, and earthquake contingencies. It is everyday life for them.

Taking that into account, this is still unprecedented. I think the best example of good practice is the nuclear procedures they have implemented - they just seem to have worked.

I imagine the Japanese drum manufacturers will slow down until this mess is cleaned up. With all that's going on, I'd be surprised if making drums was at the top of their priority list.

Taking that into account, this is still unprecedented. I think the best example of good practice is the nuclear procedures they have implemented - they just seem to have worked.

Yeah, this quake was pretty bad, even by Japan's standards. Good to see how well they have dealt with it.

From the news:
For years Japanese people have talked about “the Big One”: an earthquake so devastating in its destructive power it would dwarf the one that destroyed Kobe in 1995 and even the 1923 Tokyo earthquake, which claimed 140,000 lives.

Yesterday, the “Big One” duly smashed into the north-east coast of Japan like the proverbial bolt from the blue. The resultant tsunami sent a wall of water carrying ships, cars and buildings far inland, engulfing everything in its path.

Yesterday’s events illustrate both the strength and the limitations of Japan’s preparedness. Sitting on the “Ring of Fire”, close to where the Pacific and Eurasian plates meet, Japan is the most earthquake-aware country in the world. That is why buildings in Tokyo swayed but did not fall. Japan’s nuclear reactors were built inland and to withstand earthquakes, although there are anxious days ahead because of the risk of radioactive leaks at the damaged Fukushima facility.

The country’s disaster response policies have been substantially improved in recent years. Japanese workers and children practice regular evacuation drills and many keep a bag of prepacked emergency supplies. Around the entire Pacific rim, an early warning system raised the alert in 40 countries, in contrast with the Boxing Day tsunami of 2004, when the lack of such warning around the Indian Ocean cost some 230,000 lives. In many respects Japan sets the gold standard in disaster response.

Yet for those closest to the epicentre, there was simply no time to escape. Even a prosperous well-prepared nation can be rendered powerless by the terrifying power of nature. Seismology remains a relatively crude science. Recent earthquake activity was assumed to be aftershocks from a 7.1 level earthquake recorded a few days ago, rather than a mere foretaste of the devastation to come. Good planning can minimise damage and loss of life but the sheer force and scale of yesterday’s disaster could never have been predicted.

Wow, really no other problems as delivery time shortage of Yamaha Drums in these historic moments? Hopefully they are not too much contaminated when arriving then.

B.

My thoughts go out to the Japanese people during these times. I saw footage of the quake and the tsunami that followed. Amazing yet horriffic at the same time.

Well Bernhard... I figured since I was on our favorite website that I would ask about drums. I know how political discussions can spiral downward on forums.

Maybe a better approach for me would be this:"After the massive recovery effort is well underway, how can I personally help the drummers of Japan who were devastated?"
I'm thinking about contacting Vic Firth and Remo to see if they are taking contributions to help re-supply our fellow drummers in Japan in the days to come.

Maybe a better approach for me would be this:"After the massive recovery effort is well underway, how can I personally help the drummers of Japan who were devastated?"
I'm thinking about contacting Vic Firth and Remo to see if they are taking contributions to help re-supply our fellow drummers in Japan in the days to come.

He does have a point. I think they'll need houses to put their drums back in first though really...

He does have a point. I think they'll need houses to put their drums back in first though really...

Yeah, I think they're just a bit busy in the rescue and recovery efforts. The news says there is nothing moving over there. No trains, planes, and roads are damaged beyond repair. I was told Tokyo Disneyland was basically housing about 70,000 guests giving out blankets and keeping them in the resort because there's really no where for them to go. Even in the city, when the quake hit in the afternoon, everyone was at work, there's still alot of people who haven't been able to get home or call loved ones. It'll take several days to ascertain the extent of damage. When Nature decides to show us who's really in control, I think Japan can be forgiven for not taking care of regular business for a while.

What's the name of the little girl drummer? Kenzo?
I hope she, Akira Jimbo, and all other guys out there are fine.

Very sad events and I cannot stop watching it on the news.. Man just goes to show you how little control we have over mother nature.

On a side note this has without a doubt set nuclear power back 20yrs in the USA. I think we were getting close to building a few but after this I highly doubt we will see a new reactor here for some time.

Very devastating! Nevertheless, Japan is a strong country and brave people with an extraordinary determination to overcome bad times.

You know it's bad when a proud country like Japan is asking for help from other countries.

Eddie, I'm with you largely, but I'm not sure that site is of peer-review quality.

It seems that nuclear is best if not in an earthquake zone. Not sure what a small, power intensive country like Japan can do there, though. It looks like a wicked problem.

I feel so sorry for the Japanese people stuck without water for 5+ days in freezing temps or stuck indoors, unable to go outside while wondering if the radiation will reach critical point. It's like hell. Think of those who are in early pregnancy, wondering what the radiation will do to the foetus.

This on top of the Queensland floods, Christchurch earthquakes and the civil war in Libya (remember them?). 2011 has been a freakout year for an awful lot of people ...

Which is a shame, because nuclear remains one of the safest forms of energy, based on the number of deaths caused per unit of energy produced:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/03/deaths-per-twh-for-all-energy-sources.html
Yes, context is all important, as is looking behind the sensational headlines & reporting. Those reactors are 40 years old. Their design means they need to be kept stable by pumping water around the reactor core. Latest technology does not require such systems.

Technology advancement aside, the world is questioning if we should continue with a power source that's responsible for a very small number of deaths across decades, but I don't hear anyone questioning whether people should be allowed to live in coastal areas! Now that really is dangerous, clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back