Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: new here...

Welcome to DW, this is deffinatly a great place if you have any kind of drumming related question.

Let us know some more about you, what kind of styles do you play? what kind of kit do you have? do you have any pictures of your kit?
What kind of bands do you listen to?

Have fun and enjoy your stay!

Jay P

Re: new here...

Welcome Seth to the best site on the web for drum and drumming info. From gear to lessons to drummers bio's to views of our sets and setups. A quick estimate from the first page shows about 170,000 to 200,000 posts. After you have read all of these, you may begin asking questions. Just kidding, but there is a search feature where you can type in a subject or idea to see if it has been discussed previously. If not ask away and the 12000 or so members will be glad to help. Have fun.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi I'm new to the forum:

how long been playing: 15 years
origin of user name: Pub/bar I worked at whilst living in Spain
top 5 drummers: Alex Gonzalez, Steve Grantley, Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, ME
make of drumkit: Tama Superstar + Roland TD6
make of cymbal: Sabian, Stagg, Wuhan
where do you practice: home and rehearsal studios
are you in a band/s: Yes, we rock!
covers or originals: Originals
what style of music: Metal, punk, grunge, pop rock, funk
favourite take out food: Indian
one really odd fact about yourself: Errr....
how did you start drumming: Dad was a drummer so taught me and now I'm better!

Here's my kit although I have posted a few in the 'My Gear' section:

DSCN1443.jpg

how long been playing: 10 years
origin of user name: rush song
top 5 drummers: billy cobham, john bonham, stewart copeland, neil peart, buddy rich
make of drumkit: Tama rockstar custom/metalworks
make of cymbal: zildjian
where do you practice: home
are you in a band/s: not yet
covers or originals: both on my own
what style of music: rock, punk, raggae, funk, fusion,
favourite take out food: chinese
one really odd fact about yourself: my fist drum hero was zac hanson.....
how did you start drumming: when i was 2 my parents taught me hot too clap out rythmes(mom is a music teacher, dad is a guitarist)

Hi everyone. My name is Tom.
Usually I don't post an introduction in the "hey, I'm new" forum on such sites, but seeing as how this is a site for drummers and everyone else seems to lay out their dirty, I guess its only fair that I do too.

Years playing: 20 (retired due to wrist injury-specifically ganglial cyst which needed surgery, Doc said to continue playing might result in permanent loss of use of hands so I regretfully quit-well, quit drums, but not music. I switched to keyboards.)

Origin of user name: That's kind of a long story, but here goes. When I first went online I was trying to sign up for Yahoo! using a character name from the pantheon of H.P. Lovecraft's monster lore. All the names had been used, or I was given an option of a name with a ridiculous string of numbers like "Cthulhu1990656". I didn't want any numbers in my user name so I tried and tried for some catchy name and kept getting the "try again" message. While all this was going on, I had the TV running in the background and M*A*S*H happened to be playing. In that episode, a character pulls up in a jeep and says into his radio, "ablebravo 1 to ablebravo 2, we're in position..." . Well that had kind of a catchy sound to it so I tried ablebravo as my username and hey, presto! it worked. Ever since then, my internet presence has had some variation on the "able" portion of that original Yahoo user name.

Top 5 fave drummers: Carl Palmer, Buddy Rich, Dave Lombardo, Phil Collins, Bill Bruford

Type of drumkit: I don't have it any more, but I used to have an 11 piece solid maple Slingerland kit. After literally shattering pretty much every make of bass pedal, I finally found one that could handle my lead-footed style and still be lightning fast even with a solid wood beater- the Slingerland 944 Yellowjacket.

Cymbals: I've always been a fan of the classic A. Zildjian, but I did have a 22" Paiste China type as well.

Where do I practice?: Well, as I said I don't play drums any more, but I do have a full-function home recording studio which is my recreation as well as my business. I, doing business as Bent Ears Audio Laboratories, produce voice tracks and musical bedding for commercials and corporate training videos. I have an Ensoniq ESQ1, an Ensoniq Halo, and 4 "soft synths": A Moog Modular, MiniMoog, ARP 2600 and Yamaha CS80.

I also post my compositions which boil out of my subconscious from time to time on my podcast site, the link to which can be found in my profile. Any comments-good or bad- are more than welcome.

Last edited:

how long been playing: 4ish years

origin of user name: Name of my band

top 5 drummers: Danny Carey(Tool is THE best band), Dave Groll, Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Chad Sexton

make of drumkit: Gretsch Catalina Club(awesome kit for the money)

make of cymbal: Zildjian, zildjian, and......also some zildjians

where do you practice: home and guitar center

are you in a band/s: do I hear a yes?

covers or originals: wevenly written a few originals, havent actually played them in public yet, at the moment covers

what style of music: FUNK, Jazz, and im a big time rocker

favourite take out food: Chinese

one really odd fact about yourself: I was seriously the worst drummer in the school band until about 2 years ago, and now I kick major ass, also, My favorite kit is an awesome CB-17, seriously my first kit for 100 bucks, I could make babies with those drums

how did you start drumming: i tried out to play drums in the school band,guess I made it

Im here to learn as much as I can about drums, I would love to do something with music for a living, hell I could even teach music, but Id probly stay after school for hours and play drums

~BMF

Last edited:

real name? Fred
age? 51 next week
how long been playing? since I was about 13-14
origin of user name? My RL nic,given to me many years ago by a fellow drummer
top 5 drummers? Buddy,Louie,Carl,coupla local guys...too many to list,really
make of drumkit? Ludwig,Ludwig & Pearl
make of cymbal? Zildjian
where do you practice? home
are you in a band/s? yes & I fill in for a couple others
covers or originals? covers
what style of music? rock,blues,country
favourite take out food? Blake's Lotaburger
country? US of A
one really odd fact about yourself? I make great Mexican food
how did you start drumming? started on an old set of bongos,graduated to set 3-4 years later.

Newbie here

Well Im 45 years old and ready to take an adventure that i always wanted to do .I found an instructor and just purchased a set of Tama superstrs Bronze colored.\
Ill post pictures soon.

I live in cincinnati and and have 3 kids and Im a paramedic by trade.

Thats about it for now.
I start with my first lesson next friday.

Allan

real name? Padraig Lindel
age? 18
how long been playing? A year.
origin of user name? MSPaint - Program that comes with Windows. Clock - Clock Crew member.
top 5 drummers? Jim Fox, Jimmy Chamberlin, Mitch Mitchell, Mike Johnston, David Jennings.
make of drumkit? Tama Enforcer Kit.
make of cymbal? B8 Sabians.
where do you practice? In my room. D:
are you in a band/s? Yes, we'll be huge one day.
covers or originals? Both, mainly originals.
what style of music? Anything drums are awesome.
favourite take out food? Chinese what type of question is this?
country? United States.
one really odd fact about yourself? I'm very broad in terms of how many arts I practice. I'm a martial artist (Kendo), visual artist (Lots), I like to write and I'm a musician (Guitar, Drums, Trumpet, Whistling :p) Gary Chester died on my birthday, I hope I'm him reincarnated.
how did you start drumming? Always wanted to drum. Got into it because my friends needed a drumer for a stupid band that never had a chance.

Last edited:
Re: Newbie here

Welcome. twenty charachters

Make of Kit: Tama Rockstar and Black Panther, The name of my Kit = Camila
Make of Cymbal: Sabian HHX and AAs
Make of Head: Remo Coated Weatherking
Sticks = Vic Firth or Vater
How long have you been playin?: 8 years
Home country: Mexico
Top 5 Drummers: Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Smith, Billy Kilson, Antonio Sanchez, Will Kennedy
Genres: Rock, Jazz, Funk, Latin, Fusion, Pop
In Band: Yes, a Rock/indie/pop " Vesspa"

MEXICO RULES!!!!!!!!!

Hi all! My first post as a new member! Yeeee haaaaaaa!

real name? Mike Bennett
age? 36
how long been playing? 20 years
origin of user name? A lyric of a song a band mate wrote about me 'My Drinkin' Buddy Mike'
top 5 drummers? what genre? too difficult but I love Animal!
make of drumkit? Pearl
make of cymbal? Zildjian
where do you practice? At home on a Roland TD-6SXT
are you in a band/s? Yes and jam with other people as well
covers or originals? Both
what style of music? Rock, blues, some jazz
favourite take out food? Beer!
country? Japan
one really odd fact about yourself? I can drink beer and play simultaneously
how did you start drumming? listening to my folks Elvis records when I was 8 or so...new then I had to drum. Started air drumming and got my first kit when I was 16...never looked back.

eal name?Justin Friedel
age? 22
how long been playing? 10 years
origin of user name? The name i gave my studio on wheels ( a big travel van called fun craft)
top 5 drummers? what genre?um, everybody has a special place in my ears
make of drumkit? Pearl, roland TD-6kx(i think thats what its called, digital kit)
make of cymbal? Zildjian, sabian
where do you practice? in the van on digital kit, or practice pad layin on my djembe
are you in a band/s? not right now, currently doing a solo thing
covers or originals?originals right now, but play anything
what style of music? Rock, blues, some jazz, funky
favourite take out food? sushi
country? canada
one really odd fact about yourself? set up a studio and drive around living in my van recording things
how did you start drumming?found my uncles old drum kit when i was 12, dusty in the corner of the basement, makin too much noise to my daddy showed me a basic beat and kinda took off from there i guess.

hey guys

real name? boon
age? 21
how long been playing? 0 to 6 years? depends on how you define it really.
origin of user name? It's an original
top 5 drummers? These drummers who play in pop songs whom I don't bother to find out what their names are. Is that proper grammar? Like Sixpence, Outkast and several Japanese artists
make of drumkit? nuffin
make of cymbal? nuffin
where do you practice? home
are you in a band/s? yes
covers or originals? yes
what style of music? rock pop and hiphop
favourite take out food? takeout is unhealthy. McDonald's
country? spore
one really odd fact about yourself? nuffin
how did you start drumming? My friend had that tiny Yamaha electronic drumset in his house, and we started playing on it, rubber button for a bass drum, no less.

This place looks great. I look forward to learning lots of stuff from here, and maybe help out in whatever way I can.

Rob Marshall
11 years
Just a nickname.
My favorite drummers this week would be: JoJo Mayer, Stanton Moore, John Blackwell, Joe Morello, and.....Steve Gadd.
Pearl Export Select and Yamaha DTXtreme.
A mixture of Zildjian and Sabian
I practice In my house, or at the University
Right now I just play in the University big band, I'm lonely for an outside musical relationship...
Well, techinically I guess we play both originals and covers.
We play jazz, funk, latin......usual college big band stuff.
Favorite take-out: a local place called Typhoon of Tokyo
I live in the USA
One really odd fact: I started out playing violin, and my birthday is one day after Joe Morello's.
Started playing violin in fifth grade, and then decided that drums were cooler.

real name? Danny Anderson
age? 48
how long been playing? Started in the 70's but took a 14 year hiatus, back at it for the last year and-a-half
origin of user name? an old username from some BBS.. (easy to remember)
top 5 drummers? Ed Toth, Neil Peart, Dave Weckl, Bernard Perdie, John Bonham
make of drumkit? Yamaha Recording Custom, DW snares/pedals
make of cymbal? Zildjian - A's, A Custom Sabian Paragon ride
where do you practice? Home, (We live in a very large house with many rooms)
are you in a band/s? I play for a few of the local churches these days.. May gig again.
covers or originals? yes
what style of music? Contemporary Christian stuff.. Rock/Pop/Indie
favourite take out food? Mexican, which, sadly, cannot be had down here in Oz :-(
country? From the USA, now living in Australia
one really odd fact about yourself? only one? :))
how did you start drumming? I always do things the hard way.. so I figured why not. Spend the most money on gear, carry the most gear, work harder than anyone else, get the least respect, and still lovin it :-D

I'm waiting on my new snare, when it shows up, I'll post pics of the kit showing some good angles.

Hey There

I am a full time booking agent out of West Loop in Downtown Chicago, IL. In another life I was a pro drummer and toured with a headline act. After I got sick of being sick and tired I got into the biz end of the biz. Now after 15 plus years as an agent I have started a management company and Indie Label. I have two clients for both. Donny Osborne (Buddy Rich, Mel Torme) and DJ Master P.E. (L.A. DJ). In my pic left to right is Bill Ludwig III (grandson of the original founder and owner of The Ludwig Drum Co. and current publisher of Not So Modern Drummer), Me, Donny Osborne (Buddy Rich's protege, Mel Torme's exclusive recording and touring drummer for over 23 years and son of the former president of The Slingerland Drum Co.). Not a photo op. These are two of my friends.

real name? Jared d'Entremont
age? 16 (17 soon)
how long been playing? about a year
origin of user name? My First name , subculture and satan
top 5 drummers? Adler, Peart, Ulrich, McDonough and Haake
make of drumkit? Taye
make of cymbal? Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste
where do you practice? Grand Mothers shed
are you in a band/s? no
covers or originals? both
what style of music? Heavy Metal