my old Rogers Big ''R'' kit XP8

This is my old Rogers kit, I use the 13 and 16 most of the time. Love this set a maple power house from back in the day.......

Attachments

• phpRwfRQOPM-1.jpg
    phpRwfRQOPM-1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,080
Now THAT'S a power tom!​

Yes, I bought them new in 1980. I have the 12'' tom that I use sometime for a 2 up 1 down.
They are well made drums, and have played many,many gigs :)

Beautiful kit. I've always loved the Big R's, and almost had me a Londoner 5 from 1978 back in the day when my parents were considering my first drum kit (I wished I had gone that way instead of that little upstart company at the time, Tama).

Question for you since this just came here a few days ago - does your bass drum creep forward when you play? A fellow player here has been having the problem of his bass drum skipping forward when he plays. From what I remember about those Big R kits when I tried one was that it didn't creep forward. I can't be the only one who's had a positive experience with those Rogers spurs, eh?

Thanks Bo, never had any problem with creep. I keep the front of my base elevated @ 1'' off the floor putting all the weight on those massive spurs :) , I also replaced the rubber ends on the spurs and use a textured rug that seems to help.

In regards to the creep........ the OP in that thread has a five ply drum, several pounds lighter than an XP8 to begin with, and another 20 lighter than with that huge tom.

In regards to the original purchase date.......... I have a special and personal interest in that. Rogers catalogs do not list XL drums until 1983. They were introduced at Nov. 1982 NAMM along with new XP10 wood snares. If it is possible, could you solidly confirm your 1980 purchase date? This means a great deal to me. I would also be interested in serial number information on your drums. 1980 badges are distinctive, NO SERIAL number. 1981 into 1982 are also distinctive, the badge has an RD preceedingthe number. 1982- end of production 1984 badges are a six digit number preceeded by a D and all of them have been in the low 100,000 range through about 125000. If you do not wish to post them, the link in my signature goes to my WIX website dedicated to Rogers Drums. There you can find a Dating Guide I have written for the Big R period. You can also find a direct email link to me. Thanks.

My first kit was an XP8 and it had those same spurs. That kick crept more than any kick drum I have ever played. I hate those spurs!!!!! I tried everything!!!!

I really wanted a Big R kit when I was going to buy my first Professional level drum set. My teacher at the time was a big fan of Rogers drums and had recently picked up a Big R Londoner 5 in Black(Ebony) and it was beautiful. I ended up buying a Gretsch natural maple gloss lacquer set instead, because I fell in love with Gretsch's lacquer finishes and the sound of these drums. I had the shop put on Rogers Memriloc tom mounts on the kit and used it for almost 20 years. I sold it about 15 years ago.Rogers Memriloc hardware was so ahead of it's time. I still have a Supreme snare drum stand and Supreme bass drum pedal.

Back