Derek Roddy here!

Re: Derek Roddy

Hi Derek,
Those acrylic drums in the Meinl pictures, is that your kit now?

Cheers

Hi Derek,

I bought your book yesterday; it was sitting in the guitar section of my local music store! I haven't had a chance to try out any of the exercises yet but I really enjoyed what you had to say and the production and design of the book is outstanding!

Philip

I saw you on the back of Modern Drummer for Sabian.

Re: Derek Roddy playing some killer grooves!

I know George and have seen him play many times (over 10) I have NEVER seen him play single stroke DB over 255 in a playing situation.... To this day. Yes there are some NILE tunes that are in the 265 range but like all of us...his feet float just a little. Besides, this is another case of putting words in my mouth. I said, on my forum... that at the TIME, nobody was playing over 255 or 260. Are drummers such as George getting closer? Yes they are but... I STILL haven't seen a drummer play 16th note singles over 255 in a PLAYING situation.

D.

Derek:

What do you make of this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=CVo7qxDhgoM

I somewhat trust Batdorf, but one can never tell. It doesn't seem like he's floating, but I really don't know what to make of this. Do you think he's actually going 290? I personally believe he''s going about 260 and is floating. I'm not sure though.

I'd also like to take the time to tell you how much I admire your drumming skills. You should be proud of your ability to play so well.

Thank you.

- Marc

effortless....this guy is just a master of metal. much kudos.

check this video out

I met Derrick Roddy working in a local drum shop about 6 months ago. I think he just happened to be in town and was helping out the owner, a friend of his. He's from South Carolina, originally. We talked a while. I played some for him. (Yawn!). He played some of his stuff for me. OMG! HOLY FREAKIN' COW. This guy is so much better than that crap music/band he plays with. In addition to MONSTER chops, he's got the most incredible independence I've EVER seen. Multiple polyrythms between hands and feet. I never understood why any drummer needed 5 pedals on each side of the snare . . . until I saw him show me what to do with them.

In addition to that, he absolutely kills rock, funk, jazz, latin, anything. Put this guy in with an acoustic jazz trio, no problem. Latin/Funk, piece of cake. He does it all.

as much respect as i have for this guy as a metal drummer, i have to disagree. i saw him on video playing in a blues/jazz band and to say the least he did not swing. he may have been schooled enough to be playing a swing pattern, but the feel was just way too straight. this happens though with a lot of technically proficient players. see neil peart on the Burning for Buddy cd.

Last edited:

Derek:

What do you make of this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=CVo7qxDhgoM

I somewhat trust Batdorf, but one can never tell. It doesn't seem like he's floating, but I really don't know what to make of this. Do you think he's actually going 290? I personally believe he''s going about 260 and is floating. I'm not sure though.

I'd also like to take the time to tell you how much I admire your drumming skills. You should be proud of your ability to play so well.

Thank you.

- Marc

Hey man, no way is that singles, he's using heel-toe. If he was really doing singles, he'd have a close up on his feet to prove it.

It's as bad as that as blood runs black song everyone's raving about.

Hey man, no way is that singles, he's using heel-toe. If he was really doing singles, he'd have a close up on his feet to prove it.

I think he's doing heel toe, too. You can hear it when he isolates his feet.

What song are you refering to? As Blood Runs Black is a band?

- Marc

effortless....this guy is just a master of metal. much kudos.

check this video out

as much respect as i have for this guy as a metal drummer, i have to disagree. i saw him on video playing in a blues/jazz band and to say the least he did not swing. he may have been schooled enough to be playing a swing pattern, but the feel was just way too straight. this happens though with a lot of technically proficient players. see neil peart on the Burning for Buddy cd.

In your OPINION...of course!!

...Play On! ;-)

In your OPINION...of course!!

...Play On! ;-)

I thought you swore never to post here again?

Tambian89, yes they are a band.

And thefeckcampaign, in this case I'm not saying it sounds bad, it's just that guys like this get credit for triggering the hell out of their drums and playing heel-toe at high tempos whereas guys like Derek earn it through years of practice. Running on the pedals at 240bpm, no triggers is far more impressive. Does it sound the same? Yes. Is it as challenging as full-volume running on the pedals? No.

It's a bit unfair, and that's the part that matters.

And thefeckcampaign, in this case I'm not saying it sounds bad, it's just that guys like this get credit for triggering the hell out of their drums and playing heel-toe at high tempos whereas guys like Derek earn it through years of practice. Running on the pedals at 240bpm, no triggers is far more impressive. Does it sound the same? Yes. Is it as challenging as full-volume running on the pedals? No.

It's a bit unfair, and that's the part that matters.
but why does it matter if it is just as challenging or unfair? i thought the goal was to create music not be an athletic competition. if this was the WFD i can see your point but we are talking about the end result.

Brett already admitted he is doing heel toe.No big sectret and 300 is not a big deal now a days..for doubles
When I hit 1289 in 2001 it was just to be the first ..
The WFD video was to show drummers how to instantly achieve speed....
He sounds a bit too cocky for what HES DOING...
Yes I appreciate MORE the fact the DEREK has very strong legs and powerful double bass.
Tim

Brett already admitted he is doing heel toe.No big sectret and 300 is not a big deal now a days..for doubles
When I hit 1289 in 2001 it was just to be the first ..
The WFD video was to show drummers how to instantly achieve speed....
He sounds a bit too cocky for what HES DOING...
Yes I appreciate MORE the fact the DEREK has very strong legs and powerful double bass.
Tim

Yes, I'm aware it's not a big secret, it just annoys me that they get all this credit. It's more the fact that his whole kit is triggered that annoys me.

And thefeckcampaign, I was talking about the technique, not the music being made. It's so much easier. I understand your point, but it's not what I was talking about.

just came back from the Meinl Festival.

Had a great time with Derek - dinner, hanging out - great playing - great guy.....

thanks Meinl, more pics coming soon.

BErnhard

Attachments

• chrisderek.jpg
    chrisderek.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,580
  • derek6156.jpg
    derek6156.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,650
  • derekroddymeinl2.jpg
    derekroddymeinl2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,557
  • derek6164.jpg
    derek6164.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,620
  • derek6172.jpg
    derek6172.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,583
  • derek6179.jpg
    derek6179.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,618
  • derek6243.jpg
    derek6243.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,623
  • derek6248.jpg
    derek6248.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,535
  • derek6254.jpg
    derek6254.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,561
  • derekroddymeinl1.jpg
    derekroddymeinl1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,509
  • derek6174.jpg
    derek6174.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,594

Beautiful looking drums. I'm really anticipating seeing him at Drummer Live in October.

Bernhard,
Hey there.
Just wanted to say that it was a great honor to meet you. I had a wonderful time with you and the Meinl team.
Just want to thank you again for... not only providing the best source for on line drumming, for all to learn but.....For being the great human being you are!
Thank you!!!!!!
Cheers everyone.
D.

Back