2010 Football World Cup-South Africa

Re: 2010 World Cup-South Africa

Italy has a lot of improving to do if they want to make a mark in this World Cup.

Yes Mr, Williams, £5.00 sterling will be going to the Marie Curie trust, a service that looks after teminally ill Cancer suffers last days in there own homes. Rasied £445.00 pounds for them recently by swimming 4KM in 1 hour 30Mins.

Anyway back to it. Now i dare you to go into any pub in Scotland or Wales and make that remark that you quoted, i would garrentee, you would not come out as you went in. And seriusly, i am not joking when i say that, feelings really do run that high. between the british nations.

Its like me saying, i went to Cananda, that is in North Amercia, so all Yanks must be like them Canadians, Well you are ar'nt you, all the same, you all sound the same, drive the same cars, play the same spots, HELL all americans must have orginated from Canada.

Anyways, someone said why do we get all excited and of our trollys from scoring one goal, Well its like Christmas, if you had Christmas every month, you would soon loose the euthisiasium for it, but coming only once a year you get excited as it comes around. So when you score your only goal in 90 miniutes, all that excitmet comes out in one go, and its christmas all over again, now times that by 40,000 surporrters in the ground and that is alot of tostesterrome flowing around.

Ever seen the film Braveheart, well in the last 400 years not much has changed.

The Scots, would rather surpport their worst enermy rather than surpport England, same is said for the Welsh as well.

"We are British, by nation, but English by the grace of God".

I wasn't suggesting you were all the same. I know better than that. But my use of the term Brit. is someone from the British Isles, not just English. North America is Canada, the US and Mexico. We are all North Americans. The US is representing North America. We know that the peoples of these three countries are not the same but it is a fact that we are all North American. I'm sure that the four countries have their reasons for not wanting to be lumped into one group but the fact remains you are all from the British Isles. Canadians don't like the references to England , but the Queen is still on their money and they still have a Royal Mounted police force. Sometimes we just have to face facts, like it or not.

fact remains you are all from the British Isles. Sometimes we just have to face facts, like it or not.

A little tenuous methinks. The British Isles describes a land mass that includes Ireland, and the Irish would resent being represented by the England team only slightly less than the Scottish :) In all other sports (especially tennis), I'd accept your point; when it comes to football, absolutely not.

Paraguay showed preparation and courage, they never bowed in front of Italy.
In addition, prior the world cup during the qualifying phase, Paraguay gave a real hard time (hell and high water) to Brasil and Argentina.

oooh, orgoglio Italiano is takin some punizione at the hands of lowly Paraguay...ouch!

A little tenuous methinks. The British Isles describes a land mass that includes Ireland, and the Irish would resent being represented by the England team only slightly less than the Scottish :) In all other sports (especially tennis), I'd accept your point; when it comes to football, absolutely not.

I will heed your expertise on the subject.

Let us see how Germany approaches and performs, against teams like Argentina / Brasil / Paraguay / Italy.....let us see!

I can't believe that they call that Socceroos sendoff incident a tackle? What is this game? The refs should watch a bit of Rugby (League or Union) to understand what a tackle is. They should wear tutus instead of shorts. (ohmygoodness)

Fellows I want to share this with you. This is our (Venezuelan) football team, well known as "La Vino Tinto" or "The Red Wine." We did not have it easy to qualify to South Africa due to always play big teams such as Argentina, Paraguay, Brasil. We keep the hope and strength for 2014......Cheers,

Attachments

• Lavinotinto.jpg
    Lavinotinto.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 120
  • vinotinto.jpg
    vinotinto.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Has there been a good game yet?

and England = England, not Britain.

Has there been a good game yet?

and England = England, not Britain.

The first round of the WC is normally a buzz but it's been boring this year. I blame those rotten horns which appear to be distracting teams and preventing them from hearing their calls - plus you don't hear crowd singing or roars so there's no atmosphere. I suspect the idea is to give African teams an advantage, since they are used to the killer bee noises.

Apparently there's something wrong with the balls they're using too. Very close to having early nights instead ...

Apparently there's something wrong with the balls they're using too.

Yes. Adidas claims "it's the most accurate ball ever designed".​
Most of the players dis-agree.​

Attachments

• jabulani_2010.jpg
    jabulani_2010.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 113

Well, the pic on the cover of the New York Post suggests otherwise; the US were more than a little excited, anyone would've thought they'd scored on their own merit, rather than by a horrendous England mistake ;)

I'm hoping the standard picks up, so far the quality of the matches has been crap.

After the game celebrations are different. Half the crowd isn't even watching that. And since the American manager didn't get a Gatorade bath, the celebration was obviously subdued. And although I don't at all agree with Tommy's approach here, he's right about one thing. The minute our team starts sucking, it will be as if soccer never existed. Yeah, it's wierd that we're not in this like the rest of the world. But it is what it is. Still I'm always going to keep an eye on it, and try to understand.

Re: celebrations: I'm talking about those awkward after goal ballet dances.

And not wanting to cause a ruckus but maybe the English should move on from this if only but stuff. I even saw a group trying to blame the goofy goal on the ball itself. Hmmmm.

An American guy wasn't the goalie, the English guy was. Mistakes are part of the outcome, good or bad. If you blame anyone you blame the manager who appoints an obviously terrified guy goalie when he had a true vet waiting in the wings. That manager wasn't an American either.

Props to Green showing so much class about all of that. The Americans I know have all said that they won't pull for England but will wish the best for Green/within reason.

Last edited:

Does anybody else get the feeling that the only thing that is going on in Diego Maradonna's head, is his own highlight films. Looped?

Trying to get into this world cup thing but it is a little slow.. Such build up and intensity so I sit and watch the USA/England game and it ends in a tie??? Pffttt How anti-climatic can you get? This is why it will never really take off here.

I was wondering what was being said through all the chanting and I stumbled on this site..It has all the words to all the chants from around the globe.. some are silly but some are pretty funny.

http://fanchants.com/football-league/international/

GD may not have realised the historical competitive feelings between the British nations, but his geographical observation is sound. Makes a change from the usual perception of Birmingham being in Birminghamshire and supporting the troops in Iraqistan.

The greatest game for me is FOOTBALL. Why by any means somebody started to call it childish "Soccer"? No wonder there is no future for it in the USA. Please stop that rubbish.

There they have a rubgy-like game, where 99% outside the US can't understand the rules - called American-Football. Best is: they even use the hands to play it (lol!!) which is strongly forbidden in real Football of course. Only the Goalkeeper is allowed to use hands - but in American Football they even don't have a goalkeeper and also the Goals are wide open...Also the ball is not round, seems damaged...it's seems, they just don't get it...

Ok, good thing is there are the "Rolling Stones"playing at the half time sometimes - nice.

Bernhard

The greatest game for me is FOOTBALL. Why by any means somebody started to call it childish "Soccer"? No wonder there is no future for it in the USA. Please stop that rubbish.

There they have a rubgy-like game, where 99% outside the US can't understand the rules - called American-Football. Best is: they even use the hands to play it (lol!!) which is strongly forbidden in real Football of course. Only the Goalkeeper is allowed to use hands - but in American Football they even don't have a goalkeeper and also the Goals are wide open...Also the ball is not round, seems damaged...it's seems, they just don't get it...

Ok, good thing is there are the "Rolling Stones"playing at the half time sometimes - nice.

Bernhard
You have a point Berhard. How can you use the term football when the game is played mainly with the hands? At least the original game involves the feet almost exclusively.

Thanks!.....Mr.sufc.loyal, you are a man with a good heart.

Yes Mr, Williams, £5.00 sterling will be going to the Marie Curie trust, a service that looks after teminally ill Cancer suffers last days in there own homes. Rasied £445.00 pounds for them recently by swimming 4KM in 1 hour 30Mins.

".

I don't want to go too much farther than this.

Nobody targeted Ghana dancing or that of any paticular demographic, nor did I go looking for the single most provocative demographic to target an insult that never existed like you just did. You were wrong to go there.

Come on guys. I'm one of the American guys trying to enjoy. If you're going to make the club an exclusive then maybe the US is right to ignore it.

Nor are all of us commenting on the silly insults of American sports that always accompany this train of thought. Why even address that? I've been hearing it ever since I lived in europe 8 years ago, and it's old nonproductive news based on nuances that neither side remotely understands. All it does is bring out the xenophobic Americans and their silly catch phrases. Then suddenly the dialogue is over.

I'm a proud American, happy to live in Europe, enjoying a nice experience discovering something new. Let me do that without all the side dishes.

Matt, I work with a gentleman who comes from the Congo. Very nice guy, period. But when it comes to soccer( football), he can't wait to preach from the roof tops to all of us how great it is and pure it is blah, blah, blah. My point is, I don't tell anyone about the sports I like or explain how they are the best etc. And it seems to me like most non-americans can't wait to take that angle and I don't understand why. It's like why bother?.

Back