Should I warn them???

I used to have whole sections of the film memorised. Tragically, I've let it slip in recent months!

There's an idea for a one-man theatre production...

Have you seen the remastered directors cut version?

It's awesome.I loved that flick when It first came out and thought it, like 2001 was just miles ahead if its time.

You see a turtle on it's back...........................

Steve B

I've seen all of the cuts bar the original 1982 theatrical release. I've watched documentaries that talk about how privileged I am to come to and see the Directors Cut as the first showing. I've seen the 'Final Cut' too (where all the replicants - including Deckard (oohh... controversial!)) have slightly orange eyes.

Basic pleasure model. I called one of my friends that last week. She didn't get the joke.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long, and you have burned so very, very brightly ..."

That line always made me think of the 27 club - Jimi, Janis and Jim Morrison.

I've seen all of the cuts bar the original 1982 theatrical release. I've watched documentaries that talk about how privileged I am to come to and see the Directors Cut as the first showing. I've seen the 'Final Cut' too (where all the replicants - including Deckard (oohh... controversial!)) have slightly orange eyes.

Basic pleasure model. I called one of my friends that last week. She didn't get the joke.

I haven't seen the final cut,but I have the original on DVD.There is some talk of a remake of "Blade Runner" and "Forbidden Planet"...I hope not.

They screwed up the "Day the Earth Stood Still" remake.I have the original on DVD also and it was the first time that I watched it without commercials.

And yes...I'm a si-fi junkie.

Steve B

The original 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' is an undoubted classic. As is 'Planet of the Apes' (even though the makeup used to terrify me as a kid). I used to be much more into Sci-Fi and definitely more into books. 'Dune', anything by Iain Banks (particularly 'Excession' - it's hilarious) and Arthur C. Clarke. I don't quite know when I stopped reading, I suppose I became interested in girls!

Ok...I just ordered the Blade Runner Final Cut double DVD from Amazon.It's on sale for a little over 4 bucks US.With shipping and tax it was under 9 bucks total.

Now that I know Deckard is a replicant for sure.I just have to see it.I just read Ridley Scotts interview about the movie.

FYI..there are a few variations of the 82 release out there as well.Some were sanitized with less violence,and one has Zhora(Joanna Cassidy) actually doing her own stunt as she flys through a plate glass window as opposed to a stunt double that was used in the original.

I've read all of Herberts sequals to Dune ,but I wonder why it didn't translate well to the screen in three different attempts.I think direction was lacking.

Steve B

I think it was hamstrung by the sheer number of directors they had. David Lynch is a great director but was joining a half-finished film that had run out of ideas and was massively over-budget. Add that to some pretty wooden acting (whoever it that plays Paul is terrible - but Patrick Stewart as Gurney is excellent) and the film never really works. It happens all the time with films stuck in 'development Hell' and with Dune, it was always very ambitious for its time and needed clear direction.

I don't think the 'Dune' story has aged well due to our increasing knowledge of Islamic stories in the West (if you take 'Dune' to be an Islamic allegory, which I certainly do in parts) but there's no reason why a much better movie couldn't be made.

Interestingly, Harrison Ford never considered Deckard a replicant. He is a replicant, dammit but it's one of the reasons Scott and Ford fell out when making the film. I can't imagine it was easy to shoot, either. That was an ambitious movie. I see CGI used really badly in more recent films and always cite the 'city-scape' at the beginning of Blade Runner as one of the finest examples of using miniatures for superior effect. It just looks better!

Ok, I had no idea that there were so many different versions of blade runner. I am familiar only with the original and the director's cut. Is it worth it for me to go out and get the final cut?

The reason I hesitate is because I thought Apocalypse Now-Redux almost ruined the original. When Willard steal's Killgore's surfboard it made his character look like a frat boy on spring break rather than the troubled, brooding, and conflicted soldier he was in the original.

The differences between the Directors cut and the Final cut are quite small. Certainly nothing to worry about and they're all 'good' changes.

There are so many stories around the cuts that it's hard to keep track. My favourite is that the 'original' cut that was intended for cinematic release (after being replaced by the 1982 cinema cut, with the voiceover, etc) was discovered by a few enthusiasts and played at some cinemas throughout the 80s and early 90s. Scott got wind of this and made sure that it was commercially released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlUtYO2wL9E

A few years ago, there was a great documentary released about 'Blade Runner'. I've watched it few several times.

Back