3 Instructors -- Help me choose.

I vote Hal. He seems to be focused on technique which as I mentioned to you in another post, doing it wrong can cause injury.

I guess my question is this: what are YOUR goals?

At 60 yoa, my goals are to become the best drummer possible in the shortest amount of time.

However, to some extent doesn't a 60 year old beginner need to confront the reality that there's simply not enough time to develop the necessary skills?
I must admit to feeling some anxiety in that regard.

Last edited:
At 60 yoa, my goals are to become the best drummer possible in the shortest amount of time.

However, to some extent doesn't a 60 year old beginner need to confront the reality that there's simply not enough time to develop the necessary skills?

Alter your goal to "have fun and learn as much as I can about something cool and appealing at a very basic level" then I don't think you can lose.

I'm pretty realistic about the fact that I'm not going to gain anything by comparing myself to the best drummers out there. I just try to pay attention, work on what I'm not good at and people seem to want to play music with me.

Alter your goal to "have fun and learn as much as I can about something cool and appealing at a very basic level" then I don't think you can lose.

I'm pretty realistic about the fact that I'm not going to gain anything by comparing myself to the best drummers out there. I just try to pay attention, work on what I'm not good at and people seem to want to play music with me.

Thank you for your perspective. That's a great reminder!

Too bad there are no drum clubs where drummers could meet up to share techniques and play together.

Last edited:
Well, kids can screw around with a drumset for a couple of years and then join a band, so there's no reason you can't, too. I know one woman in her 50s who joined a country band playing bass-- I don't think she even played before she was in the band. She plays more gigs than I do now, probably.

So, the necessary skills can be pretty minimal. I would be looking to get a strong understanding of reading and rhythm, and acquire a functional vocabulary, with very basic technique. A lot of teachers do not automatically prioritize those things.

I would also get off the internet and into your local scene-- situations like with my friend above happen through socializing. If you go out and see some different people play, and do some playing yourself, with people, you'll be able to tell better what you need to learn. A lot of what is talked about online are totally unnecessary distractions.

Well, kids can screw around with a drumset for a couple of years and then join a band, so there's no reason you can't, too. I know one woman in her 50s who joined a country band playing bass-- I don't think she even played before she was in the band. She plays more gigs than I do now, probably.

I...V...I...V...I...V...I...V...I...V..

Sometimes think I've missed a trick, you know?

My vote would be Thelonius but just tell him your goal is to get doing something practical ASAP. Who says it has to be mutually exclusive,

Just a half hour a day can make huge strides with the finer points,

Disclaimer, this is coming from a guy who did it wrong for years then ultimately had to start over. Bad technique will lead you to a frustrating place take it from me!

Well, kids can screw around with a drumset for a couple of years and then join a band, so there's no reason you can't, too. I know one woman in her 50s who joined a country band playing bass-- I don't think she even played before she was in the band. She plays more gigs than I do now, probably....

FWIW, I had my first jam about 6 weeks after taking up drumming (then in my late 40's).

The bass player who joined what turned into a dreadful garage band hadn't ever played bass, and joined because she thought it might be fun to try.

Since then, after a few guitarist changes, we have a list of around 50 songs to call on and are paying occasional gigs, and have morphed into a respectable and far from dreadful covers band.

The great thing about drumming is that once you can play a basic rock beat, you can play music with a band. Focus on keeping time (and having fun, and being pleasant to be around) and you will never be short of opportunities to play music with people.

FWIW, I had my first jam about 6 weeks after taking up drumming (then in my late 40's).

The bass player who joined what turned into a dreadful garage band hadn't ever played bass, and joined because she thought it might be fun to try.

Since then, after a few guitarist changes, we have a list of around 50 songs to call on and are paying occasional gigs, and have morphed into a respectable and far from dreadful covers band.

That's great-- that's the way it's supposed to be done. It's fine if people want to just make a hobby of messing around with drum stuff at home-- drum techniques, covers, and whatnot-- but anyone who wants to take a crack at being a musician should do that.

I...V...I...V...I...V...I...V...I...V..

Sometimes think I've missed a trick, you know?

Yeah.

I started playing at 59...now I am 60 also

I had an instructor that taught the rock beats...but he wasn't concerned with playing it tight (although at the time I didn't know any better)

Second instructor was a snare expert...sticks at perfect height...etc.

Next was the internet (was actually doing this the whole time)...no critical instruction with internet stuff

Finally I went to the Owner of the drum shop (Jeff Rider) and told him I wanted to study jazz...I would give Thelonius the nod...to me it seems like Jazz and Hip Hop have the more complicated sticking/syncopation/feel and if you learn that you can probably translate it to any genre

Jeff wants everything to be clean...dynamics are important...likes slow practice that leads to quick practice...he works my ass off and keeps me there until I get it right. Been working on Dave Brubecks "Take Five" for the last three lessons and thought I had it until I went Monday. I finally got the swing down etc. and found out the left foot was off just a hair...too soon to too late...and the dynamics were off...he's killing me but I am learning much more. I needed to play the left foot straight while swinging the rest...independence! Gonna stick with Jeff...

Thank you for your perspective. That's a great reminder!

Too bad there are no drum clubs where drummers could meet up to share techniques and play together.

Look for local bars and venues that have middle of the week organized jams or "open mics". Quite often you can find one where there's already a drum kit provided and lots of other people to watch, learn from, talk drums and whenever you feel ready, dip into playing with the group.

Maybe, but who gives a shit :) It's the journey, not the destination. I don't inow when you retire but once retired you can beat any 10-yrs old in terms of hours per day practice while they're at school. Your hands may be stiffer but you have 60 years of developing your musical taste behind you. With all that nothing will stop you from becoming great at least if you can keep a tempo.

Look for local bars and venues that have middle of the week organized jams or "open mics". Quite often you can find one where there's already a drum kit provided and lots of other people to watch, learn from, talk drums and whenever you feel ready, dip into playing with the group.

I had been searching terms like "drum club" and got nowhere.

Thanks to your post I changed my search to "st louis jam open mic" and found this. http://www.stlblues.net/jam_sessions.htm

Let me know if the above link is what you're suggesting.

Thanks Watso!

I had been searching terms like "drum club" and got nowhere.

Thanks to your post I changed my search to "st louis jam open mic" and found this. http://www.stlblues.net/jam_sessions.htm

Let me know if the above link is what you're suggesting.

Thanks Watso!

Wow dude... I'm jealous of all the listings for your area! Those are great options; exactly what I'm talking about. Trick now with so many options is to find the one where you feel welcome and included and comfortable. Try several, and don't be a wallflower! When a drummer comes down from playing his turn, compliment and chat with them! Tell them you're new and looking for a jam to call home and frequent!

The good Dr. gives good advice. I sent you a private message so I can get an idea where you live in St. Louis area and maybe I can suggest a particular jam. I might even know the drummer hosting the jam.

Back