Practise pad surgestions

SharkyBait911

Hey all,
I've got a practise pad at the moment and frankly its awful the main thing is that it has no bounce and it's too small so any surgestions for a new one would be apreciated!

I think 12" is a nice size and nothing to expensive please,

Thanks

try to get the new pat petrillo (sorry if i spelled it wrong)

looks very nice

SharkyBait911,

Got any kids?

p1000273.jpg

...just kidding =)

Seriously, have you tried a foam mouse pad?

Speaking of which, my mouse pad is actually something called a "Rudi-Pad" and its actually a practice pad!

Its a piece of foam rubber, like the type they make wet suits out of, and printed on it are the basic 26 rudiments.

You can flop it down on any surface and it'll stay put and the rebound is surprisingly good.

Below is a link to where you can buy/order one, but you can probably get it at any local music store/drum shop.
Shouldn't set you back more than about $10, I'd think.

The Rudi-Pad

Elvis

+2 on Pat Petrillo pad. New ones are round and come out under the Ludwig name. I've got the old square one and love it.

second the hq real feel 12". you dont really need the double sided one, but its good to have

Hey Elvis, I like that Rud-pad idea so much I got one at www.rudi-pad.com I like the rudiments printed on there...I not only like it I want to give it to a couple drummer friends here @ home. Still like my HQ though.

Thumbs up for The P4 Pad/ ! It is the best drum pad out there. It's fun, and the feels of each pad are so different, they give me a varied workout. Does more than the others pads I have for about the same price as the others. I have the square version, and might spring for the new version!

Hey Elvis, I like that Rud-pad idea so much I got one at www.rudi-pad.com I like the rudiments printed on there...I not only like it I want to give it to a couple drummer friends here @ home. Still like my HQ though.
Hey drumhead61,

You're welcome. Glad you're enjoying that deceptively simple, effective and inexpensive idea for a practice pad.

Quick question - how large is yours?

Mine is a promotional piece, given to me by the pad's inventor, Cindy Contos (local area music teacher), back when she was first trying to market that pad.
Mine is 9" across, but I understand the current version is larger.
Is yours?

Elvis

Hey drumhead61,

You're welcome. Glad you're enjoying that deceptively simple, effective and inexpensive idea for a practice pad.

Quick question - how large is yours?

Mine is a promotional piece, given to me by the pad's inventor, Cindy Contos (local area music teacher), back when she was first trying to market that pad.
Mine is 9" across, but I understand the current version is larger.
Is yours?

Elvis

Elvis,

I just ordered it the other day when I read this thread...I liked the idea of it having the 26 rudiments on it...but the internet site says that it is 8 1/2" round by 1/4" thick...so I believe that is the answer you are looking for...I will let you know how it works out...as for me though I do LOVE my HQ 12" pad.

Nothin' wrong with the HQ, I just figured the Rudi-Pad would be less expensive and would accomplish the same end.
Sounds like you haven't received your Rudi-Pad yet.
Any chance, once it arrives (if it hasn't already), that you could post a comparo between the HQ and the Rudi-Pad?
If Sharky Bait hasn't gotten a new one yet, and is still watching this thread, I would think such a post would be of interest to him.

Elvis

I am definitely gonna say Pat Petrillo's P4 Pad. It's revolutionary and a fantastic tool when you can't get to a drumset but still need to work on hand separation exercises. I've also taken lessons with him, so I'm kinda biased....

You should get the P4 by Pat. The only Muilti level pad with 4 different feels. Can practice everything from standard snare works to work on your chops, to set work minus the bass of course. The cymbal pad really gives a dead rebound just like the real thing, I find that alone puts the P4 a must have for serious drummers.
Here is me with the old p4, before they got round at The Collective where Pat teaches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxoDILkaMJM

Back