new Drum Workshop Direct Drive pedal @ NAMM 2014

I don't think the holes in the pedal are there for any particular look, they are more than likely to reduce the weight of the pedal board.

And also to strain spaghetti or grate some cheese.

It does appear to be a high quality, well engineered pedal, but anything above Trick prices would be a dumb move. Trick pedals are arguably the best money can buy, and more often than not, said to be worth the money. There is no way DW is going to make a pedal that is better.

Therefore by pricing them too high all they will do is make the best pedal on the market (Trick) look more affordable. You don't build a Chevy dealership across the street from a Ferrari dealership and put $150K price stickers on your corvettes.

Last edited:
They have an Axis-style Variable drive Lever = +1
Made from machined aluminium, not cast = +1
Features the floating rotor whatsit spring thing from the 9000 series = +1
Novel hoop-clamp enabling centering of beaters = +1
Easily adjusted Czarcie Kopyto style tension adjuster =+1
Smooth footboard with perforations for weight reduction/faster return = +1
Independently adjustable foot board height/drive linkage assembly = +1
Weight adjustable beater and drum key holder = +1

Everything designed for maximum efficiency and speed, seemingly targeted at the people who buy Axis and Trick and other direct-drive pedals and who like to go very fast with high-bpm double kick and machine-gun blast beats.

Yet they do not seem to have made it in a long-board design = -10

So, +8 + -10 = I am going to buy some Tricks instead.

Can't believe they make the almost perfect pedal for metal, and then drop nuts the last bit and ditch the longboard. It's like they wanted to compete in the metal niche with Axis and Trick, but decided to ditch the longboard so as not to dissuade non-metal customers. IMO

....Can't believe they make the almost perfect pedal for metal, and then drop nuts the last bit and ditch the longboard. It's like they wanted to compete in the metal niche with Axis and Trick, but decided to ditch the longboard so as not to dissuade non-metal customers. IMO

The long boards will be out in a couple years, so that everyone who bought these can upgrade - LOL

They have an Axis-style Variable drive Lever = +1
Made from machined aluminium, not cast = +1
Features the floating rotor whatsit spring thing from the 9000 series = +1
Novel hoop-clamp enabling centering of beaters = +1
Easily adjusted Czarcie Kopyto style tension adjuster =+1
Smooth footboard with perforations for weight reduction/faster return = +1
Independently adjustable foot board height/drive linkage assembly = +1
Weight adjustable beater and drum key holder = +1

Everything designed for maximum efficiency and speed, seemingly targeted at the people who buy Axis and Trick and other direct-drive pedals and who like to go very fast with high-bpm double kick and machine-gun blast beats.

Yet they do not seem to have made it in a long-board design = -10

So, +8 + -10 = I am going to buy some Tricks instead.

Can't believe they make the almost perfect pedal for metal, and then drop nuts the last bit and ditch the longboard. It's like they wanted to compete in the metal niche with Axis and Trick, but decided to ditch the longboard so as not to dissuade non-metal customers. IMO

Perhaps they knew there was enough competition in that sector and decided to differentiate. Someone already said it, I doubt this would compete with the trick pedals.

Tricks are compression spring driven, so the feel between them and expansion spring systems is different already.

I have learned a lot about DW in the last couple years. They move slow, look at details to inth degrees, and if they were not absolutely sure the new design would not garner rave reviews and customers they would never have released it. They do a lot of in-house work with endorsers, so I imagine they all gave a great deal of input before the pedal hit NAMM.

Can't say I like the look, but I found the 9000 to be the nicest expansion system I have tried. I'm sure this one is as good. Still couldn't take me away from Drumnetics, but DW seems to make good use of details in design.

They will make some kind of longboard, and also other types of cosmetic looks as this thing moves along. Then they will offer it in a chain drive. It's like fashion. Everything comes back after awhile.

Tricks are compression spring driven, so the feel between them and expansion spring systems is different already.

I have learned a lot about DW in the last couple years. They move slow, look at details to inth degrees, and if they were not absolutely sure the new design would not garner rave reviews and customers they would never have released it. They do a lot of in-house work with endorsers, so I imagine they all gave a great deal of input before the pedal hit NAMM.

Can't say I like the look, but I found the 9000 to be the nicest expansion system I have tried. I'm sure this one is as good. Still couldn't take me away from Drumnetics, but DW seems to make good use of details in design.

They will make some kind of longboard, and also other types of cosmetic looks as this thing moves along. Then they will offer it in a chain drive. It's like fashion. Everything comes back after awhile.

I agree. They work with their artists and I am sure the pedal have already had a good test run.

The pedal seems to be made without any cast parts - its all from sheet metal or bars.
So every surface or feature have to be machined. So lots of machine minutes which contributes to cost.

Never really cared for DW pedals... The price is just too high for what you get, and I don't like the way they feel. These just look like another overpriced offering that I'll avoid....

I don't like the heel plate. It only attaches to the pedal plate at the rear, and essentially floats. The front of the heel plate, where the hinge attaches, is not supported by anything other than where it is screwed into the pedal plate. A side profile clearly shows nothing under the hinge, and to me this seems like a possible area of failure.

Trick prices would be a dumb move. Trick pedals are arguably the best money can buy, and more often than not, said to be worth the money. There is no way DW is going to make a pedal as good or better.

Well, I believe this is proof they're trying.

Now if TRICK would just work on an extension spring model, game over.

Not to steal a thread but if you would like to see a very nice pedal that the average Joe can afford check out this Gibraltar pedal. Scroll down and watch the movie about the pedal.
Now back to your regularly schedule DW thread.

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=detail&mid=2925&sid=689&cid=26

I tried that pedal at NAMM, and I actually found the CHEAPER Gibraltar pedal felt even better. http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=detail&mid=2926&sid=689&cid=26

that movie sold me with all of the options

I wish I had seen that clip before I tried out that pedal before. I messed around with one at the local shop and didn't think it felt quite right for my foot. If I knew of all the adjustments, I would have at least given it a shot.

Hijacking the thread. I'm on the fence here. The Gibraltar 6711DB or is it worth to spend the extra money on the Pearl Eliminator P-2002?

I've never played the Pearl, but have heard good things about it. It has many adjustment options. The Gibraltar is much simpler, but feels light and quick.

I think it looks awesome (not that it should matter; I'll be stomping on it) and I can't wait to play it. I was toying with the idea of getting a 9000 double, but I guess I'll wait and see how these new pedals feel. And I think it's awesome that the new pedal is fully manufactured in the USA, not just assembled in California.

I like the new beater a lot, too - it's like an overengineered Iron Cobra beater.

Back