805's NEW K!!!!!!!

On the cymbal

It's a Rogers kit and it's awesome. While it is true that in the last days of the company Rogers made some crappy kits, a script logo Rogers, like the one your friend got, is most definately not. It is probably one of the finest kits ever made.
Your friend is very lucky. And so are you so it seems. But really, Rogers drums are not crap, not at all.

One of the finest kits ever made?

He will be very happy to hear that.

What do you think its value is?

it mean its probably an EAK i think (early american K) which means, if i'm not mistaken it was hammered by hand in the 80s. (because all new zildjian are hammered by machine)

I'm not 100% sure of what i'm saying. I'll research a bit when I have time.

Take care of it !

found this on a couple of sites

Here are the noticable differences between EAK and other Zildjian USA K's as far as I can tell:

[1981] EAK's have fine lathing, deeper hammering that goes all the way up on the bell, and a large printed "K" on the bottom.

`85-`95 K's have wider lathing, no hammering on the bell, and "Zildjian" printed on the underside

`95-roughly `02? are the same except with the stamp lazer etched (with a serial #) instead of stamped into the cymbal.

The newest versions which were introduced around `03 have gone back to the finer lathing and big printed K on the underside, but they differ from the EAK's in that the hammering isn't as deep and there's no hammering up on the bell (and of course the lazer etched stamp with serial #).

You are correct regarding the serial numbers. These laser engraved serial numbers didn't come around until 1994. Prior to that, K cymbals are known as 'Pre-Serial Numbered Ks.' Those typically look like this (with 'Zildjian' stamped on the bottom):

http://www.cymbalcellar.com/catalogdetail.php?cymbid=8

(note, this cymbal is on my website, however it is already sold).

Notice that it has 'Zildjian' stamped on the bottom.

The cymbals before these 'Pre-Serial Numbered Ks' were known as the "Early American Ks." These can be identified by the visible HAND hammering (not machine like current and 'pre-serial number Ks'). In addition, they have a 'K' stamp on the bottom, and it is MUCH larger than you're used to seeing now. These would typically look like this (and are MUCH more valuable/desirable):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290070412865

Ok, a lot of info. . . let me summarize:

Canadian Ks were made in Canada from around 1975 to 1979, and were hand hammered.
EAKs (early American Ks) had hand hammering, and a LARGE K on the bottom. Were made in the US starting in 1979ish for only a few years.
PSKs (Pre-Serial Number Ks) had machine hammering, 'zildjian' on the bottom, and no serial number. Made from the early to mid 80s up until around 1994.
Modern Ks have a serial number starting around 1994 (ID).

Ok, the EAK can be identified by a few things:

#1: They will have noticeable hand-hammering, not the sparse, fake machine hammering of today's Ks. That hammering will typically also be visible up into the bell as well. Take a look at the hammering of the cymbals in the links below.

#2: The EAK will have a large "K" ink stamp on both the top AND the bottom. In 1981 they switched to 'Zildjian' stamped on the bottom. Also, the EAK does not have the 'R' registered mark next to the K, where as some of the later ones do.

#3: The EAK will NOT have a laser engraved logo or serial number, but will have the old die-stamped Zildjian stamp (with the star and crescent above it).
heres an example of an EAK

1874_top_big.jpg

1874_btm_big.jpg

1874_stamp_big.jpg

Last edited:
EAKs have no serial. But no serial does not mean it's an EAK. Serial numbers started in 1994. EAKs are from the 80's but there were plenty of cymbals made in between.

The K on the bottom is a good indicator

it mean its probably an EAK i think (early american K) which means, if i'm not mistaken it was hammered by hand in the 80s. (because all new zildjian are hammered by machine)

I'm not 100% sure of what i'm saying. I'll research a bit when I have time.

Take care of it !

One of the finest kits ever made?

He will be very happy to hear that.

What do you think its value is?

You live in the US, I live in Europe, prices are entirely different here. Best thing would be to go to a vintage drum forum, like http://www.ghostnote.net/vgforum/, and ask there, depending on the era of manufacture prices differ. If it were me I'd clean it up and play it myself until the end of days. If I were you I'd buy that set in a heartbeat as it is now for a couple of hundred. Replace the missing parts and you're good for years to come. And it won't lose value either.

Mine has no serial number, no visible lathing on the top, and a giant K on the bottom...

So would that be an EAK? I'm just a tad confused.

mmmmmm some new bottom hardware for those drums, new heads!! AHH!!! so good

I guess I'll tell him everything you guys said...to repair it and stuff. I had no idea these drums were so good, because they sounded terrible!

I guess I'll tell him everything you guys said...to repair it and stuff. I had no idea these drums were so good, because they sounded terrible!

Well i'd imagine that right now, yes they do. They only have one set of tom heads on there which i'm willing to bet some money on that they're probably nearly as old as the drums themselves and probably haven't been tuned in a while. Any kit can sound crap under those circumstances.

No. Trust me. You do NOT want that set. They're the crappiest drums I've ever played, they just LOOK good.

Like, seriously--he got 3 bass drum pedals, and when I started playing one of them, the whole pedal SNAPPED IN HALF, I kid you not.

And on the other snare, the strainer came OFF off the drum as soon I started using it.

i highly doubt that's a crappy set at all...that's a vintage rogers kit. if you put brand new top & bottom heads on that set, tune it up good, they definately won't be the crappiest drums you've played.

Back