Vibra Slap

Muckster

Platinum Member
I have a Vibra slap and would love to be able to play it by using a stick instead of my hand. I'm aware of the mounts available but does anyone know of anyway to modify one to be struck with a stick?

I have several samplers and trigger pads i could use to duplicate the sound of a vibraslap but i would like to actually play the real thing.

Mount it somewhere where you can strike it with the bottom of your hand easily (while still holding the stick). A vibraslap needs a little extra force to play it. I don't see how hitting it with a stick would allow it to realize its full vibrating potential, or how to modify it so it could...

Are you playing Cake covers by any chance?

Mount it somewhere where you can strike it with the bottom of your hand easily (while still holding the stick). A vibraslap needs a little extra force to play it. I don't see how hitting it with a stick would allow it to realize its full vibrating potential, or how to modify it so it could...

Are you playing Cake covers by any chance?

Yeah i thought of the hand while holding the stick method...i'm going to experiment with some striking surface to replace the wood ball.

No, i'm not playing any Cake covers, so John doesn't have to worry about his vibra slap.

Yeah i thought of the hand while holding the stick method...i'm going to experiment with some striking surface to replace the wood ball.

Make sure that you replace the ball with a comparable-weight object. It's purpose is to vibrate the other part (with the rattle). If it's too heavy or light, you won't get quite the same rattle that it has right now...

I used to have a mounted vibra-slap. I could use my hand or brushes (brushes actually work pretty well). To get a stick to do it, you'd need to replicate the physics of a hand strike. You'd need a fairly heavy stick and a softer, heavier, flatter, rubber-like surface to strike, instead of the hard wood ball.

I used to have a mounted vibra-slap. I could use my hand or a mallet or brushes (brushes actually work pretty well). To get a stick to do it, you'd need to replicate the physics of a hand strike. You'd need a fairly heavy stick and a softer, heavier, flatter, rubber-like surface to strike, instead of the hard wood ball.

A stick without a taper might also work better. The taper in a drumstick is what makes it rebound easily; some of the energy of your stroke goes back in the stick and moves it upward.

But in this case, you don't want rebound. You want as much energy as possible to stay in the vibra slap. A human hand, mallet or brush work well because they have little or no rebound and all the energy from the stroke goes into the vibra slap.

Caddy and Conga,

Thanks for the input!

Back