double bass drum or pedal?

There are many opinions here on the pros and cons of 2 kicks vs. the double pedal.

But I truly feel this as anything else in drumming is a matter of personal choice.

I personally played double bass kits until 2000. I then went to a double pedal. When I was younger I played metal and prog rock so double bas made sense to me. As I have gotten older I am playing music that really does not require it very much. I do have two DW5000 double pedals but rarely take them to a gig. But again what I play doesn't call for it.

There is a different feel, go play a double bass kit and see if you like it or not. There is set up and space considerations. I know when I was young this never bothered me. There is transpiration considerations, if you have the room then again, no problem.

I guess what I am saying is do what is right for you and the music.

I will say this, you have a double pedal now. If you were to keep it and get a double bass drum kit and two single pedals you would have nothing but options
wink.gif

yeah but what type of music do you play? because i drum metal i need the double bass so for you a single bass is fine unless you do the single bass slide teqneque. which sucks tbh. but yeah double bass. i need lol.

yeah. thats why I said, if you need double bass for the kind of music you play, go with a double pedal. It's a lot easier and cheaper.

and if you're really good at single bass, you don't need double bass. it is possible to play metal blast beats with a single pedal. that's why I stick to single bass in the hopes of improving my skills with it instead of messing around with double bass.

also, I open and close the hi-hat while playing it a lot, so I need to have a foot on the hi-hat pedal most of the time.

Get the second bass and another double bass pedal. Set up double pedal #2 in lefty mode, giving you 2 kick pedals for each foot. Then tune the second kick differently from the first, and you've got tons of options! Heck, get a remote hi hat for your right foot so that each foot has three options!

Seriously, though, I've never seen a REAL need for a second kick. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work and not a lot of extra gain. The only real advantage is that it gives you license and location to add some toms and/or cymbals.

I've only known one cat who owned a double bass kit... even he only drug out one bass drum when he gigged.

For years I played 2 kick drums. The double pedals (1st...weren't invented, and later, 2nd...were crap until they got refined). Once they got he "bugs" worked out, I switched. I'll never go back to 2 "mirror image" kicks. But if a cat thinks 2 kick drums feels better, that's fine. If a cat thinks 2 kick drums looks better, that's fine too. (after all, being in a band, on stage, is about being an entertainer as well as being a musician).

I own a double bass drum kit and I love the feel and I do know it sounds better than a single, but it is not necessary and there are many other problems that were already stated, such as tuning them together it is nearly impossible to do it and them to stay in that tuning for long, transportation, flat out they are a bitch to move, I hate moving them, but the up sides they look cool they get a better sound and like what was already stated you can get a double pedal and tune the other one differently for more options, but overall I like the feel of 2 bass drums and it allows me to set up my drums the way I like with out it all seeming off balance because I use a lot of toms, and I like the feel of 2 separate pedals because the slave pedal always seems to disrupt the balance with my left foot trying to correspond with my right because I like them to be equal and the slave always adds a delay that i have never known how to fix. In the end all preference and its purely up to the user, but just my perspective on the whole situation.

Last edited:
After reading a post by Bermuda, I e-mailed trick and asked them if there are any plans to make a beefier pedal beater for the pro-1v pedals. Either a heavier beater, approximating the weight of a pearl quadbeater, or some way of adding on weight rings a la iron cobra. I don't picture that I will be using the current trick beaters on my double pedal very much.

Also I have to comment: I don't have a roadie and really appreciate not lugging a second kick anymore.

Its easier to distinguish speed with two different bass drums.
One bass drum might make it sound like your getting locked up, and it will sound like crappy noise if you dont do it right.
But it does save money, room, time, and effort.

"might" being the operative word. Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang and Bobby Jarzombek (from a distance of 20 feet) sounded perfect on one kick. And they played singles/doubles *very* fast.

I prefer a doube bass for the look, as was mentioned earlier, I also don't play fast enough for rebound to be an issue.

IF you can afford it, Do both. this is what I do. When possible I use 2 bass drums with flying dragon pedals. BUT I also use a DW 7000 doube pedal on my other kits. So I use both. When miking is an issue, Or were recording a show I take the pedal off my 2nd bass and use the DW 7000 doube pedal set up on my double bass kit. So the second bass ends up being for show. but looks cool. And we only end up miking the main kick.

BUT, I prefer the stability and feel of 2 kicks.

Back