View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 06:53 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Time observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Can you mic his amp and boost his feed to your head set? If he's a little quick or slow on the pedal you could adjust quickly.
I won't wear headphones on stage. I didn't sign up for that. In studio, of course. Not when I'm performing. He's really good at making loops on the fly. He's the only guitarist I know who practices to a metronome. I drop my volume a bit, stare at his amp (it seems to help me) and try and hear something...anything...even if I hear 20% of the loop that's usually enough for me to scrape by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I'm not sure if playing at 20 will ever help playing at 120. .
Oh it does for me in a huge way. If I can nail 3 seconds between beats, .5 second between beats (120BPM) is like falling off a log, nothing to it. Slow tempos are one of the keys to good time with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
So Larry are you trying to feel this slow tempo to increase your sense of time? I can count it and make it work but crap trying to just wing and feel it that slow. I'll have to try it-does seem like it will make you aware of "time". Some tempos are so natural and easy-a "time" frame we are accustomed but the slow ones are always a bugger-perhaps the slower can be just as natural.
Yea Art, I'm trying to increase my awareness of time passing. I'm trying to build a superpower. Like when I flam the click, I determine if I was ahead or behind. If I was behind the click, I have to gently hurry up a little to hit the next click on time. If I'm ahead of the click, I have to add a little extra time before my next hit. I believe that all these little mistakes are what actually improves my time...over time lol. Sometimes I will play consistently ahead at the same exact spot...Its a real challenge.

I started doing this exercise around 2011 at 40 BPM. At the time, I thought it was impossibly long between beats. Now 40 BPM is like a walk in the park.

I'm trying to make myself figure out how I can play with as perfect timing as I am capable of. It really is that important.