View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 02:17 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Time observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Anything you can do to improve your timing is good.

However, practicing to 20 BPM seems tedious and unnecessary. Mainly because playing live at this tempo would be accomplished by thinking in a higher multiple tempo.
For instance counting it out in 80 BPM, hitting only on the 1.

Explain to me what you hear live on stage when you play along with the looper pedal. Do you hear a click?
Or are you just trying to keep tempo with the pre=recorded guitar playing?
I think that if a guitar player was using a looper live with you trying to keep tempo with it, then it would not sound good.
You would be playing “along” with the song instead of driving the band and the tempo like you should be doing.
Of course it might be that only another drummer would notice it.

Jim, the reason I do 20 BPM is...I feel that the longer I can go between beats, the better my time will be. This last week has proven that to me. The goal is to make it hard! It's working for me. I'm not stopping at 20, 10 is next.

Onstage, no click. The looper is a device that the guitarist uses to make his own rhythm guitar recordings, on the fly, so he can play his leads to a rhythm guitar. When it's time for his lead, he will make a rhythm guitar recording for 4 bars or whatever in the very front of his lead. Then the looper keeps repeating the 4 bars he just recorded. Then he plays his lead on top of that rhythm track. It sounds fuller obviously. We are a 3 piece usually. He knows how to use the looper, I'll give him that. I haven't practiced time since 2012. So I've been slacking there. And it sounds fine...when I'm on it. It's really no different than having another player, except I'm following not leading. That's where my problem lies, I can barely hear what I'm supposed to follow. Which is met with...it shouldn't matter, just keep time. And he's right...to an extent.