MF Stupid Deal of The Day

I like the Pearl Masters better than the Reference series.

This is a great deal! I'm sure they'll make someone happy! Wish it were me.

If it were a green sparkle and included the snare, I'd be more tempted.

Last edited:
Damn i love that green... i love my kit.. must not buy another :( Had no idea about the stupid deal of the day.. thanks.

They had this kit on sale for $1,299 forever..$999 is basically a larceny. I wish I needed another kit.

Made in Taiwan?

I thought the MCX was a Japanese factory product.

I like the Pearl Masters better than the Reference series.

This is a great deal! I'm sure they'll make someone happy! Wish it were me.

If it were a green sparkle and included the snare, I'd be more tempted.

what are your reasons you like it over the reference? Pearl drums are just so heavy duty made its crazy. The drums are heavy, they hardware is super heavy. Just all around heavy drums.

what are your reasons you like it over the reference? Pearl drums are just so heavy duty made its crazy. The drums are heavy, they hardware is super heavy. Just all around heavy drums.

In short, shell construction.

If I want a maple kit, I want a maple kit. If I want a birch kit, I want one made of birch.

Pearl Reference toms are not made like this. I understand what they are trying to do. And who knows? They may sound good! However, I don't like the idea of mix-and-match kit at that price point. I see mixing/matching woods within the same kit as more of a have to than a want to.

In essence, here's what they do:

Our 10" and 8" toms receive 4 thin plies of Maple with 2 inner thin plies of Birch for cut and attack. And for maximum response, all 13" and smaller toms have a rounded 45° bearing edge.

Beginning with our 13" tom and larger, Mahogany is added to the inner plies to increase the lower frequencies and accentuate the warmth of the Maple. The 14" toms and larger begin using our fully rounded bearing edge for even more shell contact. Our 18" and 20" bass drums use 4 inner thin plies of Mahogany with 2 outer thin plies of Maple. As the size of the bass drums increase, so does the amount of Mahogany. Our 22" and 24" bass drums incorporate an amazing 6 inner thin plies of Mahogany surrounded by 2 outer thin plies of Maple for the ultimate in solid responsive bass frequencies.

Graphic via Pearl Drums:

chart.jpg

that is very cool to see their thinking on it.. and if it works i don't care if its 15 plys of different woods:)

In short, shell construction.

If I want a maple kit, I want a maple kit. If I want a birch kit, I want one made of birch.

Pearl Reference toms are not made like this. I understand what they are trying to do. And who knows? They may sound good! However, I don't like the idea of mix-and-match kit at that price point. I see mixing/matching woods within the same kit as more of a have to than a want to.

In essence, here's what they do:

Our 10" and 8" toms receive 4 thin plies of Maple with 2 inner thin plies of Birch for cut and attack. And for maximum response, all 13" and smaller toms have a rounded 45° bearing edge.

Beginning with our 13" tom and larger, Mahogany is added to the inner plies to increase the lower frequencies and accentuate the warmth of the Maple. The 14" toms and larger begin using our fully rounded bearing edge for even more shell contact. Our 18" and 20" bass drums use 4 inner thin plies of Mahogany with 2 outer thin plies of Maple. As the size of the bass drums increase, so does the amount of Mahogany. Our 22" and 24" bass drums incorporate an amazing 6 inner thin plies of Mahogany surrounded by 2 outer thin plies of Maple for the ultimate in solid responsive bass frequencies.

Graphic via Pearl Drums:

chart.jpg

I totally understand where you are coming from! But at the same time, everyone I know who has had one loves it! I want to try one out and/or buy one when I have room for a third kit. They looked at popular masterworks combinations and thought "Why not look at every tom/drum as its own instrument and what makes it sound ideal"

Small toms get birch, medium toms maple, large toms/bass drums get mahogany.

I'm intrigued by the idea in theory. But haven't found a local place that stocks them to demo on. I keep my eye out on used ones since it's a huge buyers market right now. But I love my Pearl Masters Custom (MMX). The 4 ply maple shells are amazing, but would love to try a reference kit.

"Why not look at every tom/drum as its own instrument and what makes it sound ideal"

Small toms get birch, medium toms maple, large toms/bass drums get mahogany.

I'm intrigued by the idea in theory.

I think that it's an interesting idea as well.

However, in theory it seems that while each drum would sound great in and of itself, would the kit sound like one instrument, or just a sum of its parts? I think I question the cohesiveness of sound (does this make sense?).

That's the #1 strength of my USA Pork Pies. I swear the summation of all the drums make it all sound like one instrument. Each tom (4 total), the snare, and the kick "match." Nothing is any louder or any softer than the other. All of the toms have the same amount of sustain, attack, tone, etc. The 16" floor tom has the same resonance as the 10" tom when tuned (same goes for the 12" and 14" toms). They sound like they belong together.

Due to the construction, I have my doubts about those Pearls. But heck, what do I know? I'm just a hack with crap ears. :)

I think that it's an interesting idea as well.

However, in theory it seems that while each drum would sound great in and of itself, would the kit sound like one instrument, or just a sum of its parts? I think I question the cohesiveness of sound (does this make sense?).

That's the #1 strength of my USA Pork Pies. I swear the summation of all the drums make it all sound like one instrument. Each tom (4 total), the snare, and the kick "match." Nothing is any louder or any softer than the other. All of the toms have the same amount of sustain, attack, tone, etc. The 16" floor tom has the same resonance as the 10" tom when tuned (same goes for the 12" and 14" toms). They sound like they belong together.

Due to the construction, I have my doubts about those Pearls. But heck, what do I know? I'm just a hack with crap ears. :)

I'll drink to that! But I understand what you're saying! I love the idea of Reference, in theory... I would love one to play around with for a bit and tune them up and play around with them to get a better feel and understanding of how well it's applied. But I don't see that happening any time soon!

So I take it you love your Pork Pie kit? I've never had the chance to play on one, no local stores stock then in the Harrisburg PA area unfortunately!

The Masters are not heavy - at least the 'original' masters (MMX/MMP etc), which are the thin-shelled range. They sound great too.

The Masters are not heavy - at least the 'original' masters (MMX/MMP etc), which are the thin-shelled range. They sound great too.

hah, you must have not lifted some of the new ones compared to other drums then. my MCX are heavy with the diecast hoops etc.

So I take it you love your Pork Pie kit? I've never had the chance to play on one, no local stores stock then in the Harrisburg PA area unfortunately!

Yes, they are fantastic. Now granted, I've not been around the block and played dozens of kits or anything, but I've played a few. I really love these things. I know that there are more expensive boutique drums and whatnot, but I really love mine. Their born-on date is August 1999. This is still back when they were an up-and-coming small shop with zero overseas production. I'm sure they still make a great product, but I'm happy to have a set that was made when they were a smaller company.

Yes, they are fantastic. Now granted, I've not been around the block and played dozens of kits or anything, but I've played a few. I really love these things. I know that there are more expensive boutique drums and whatnot, but I really love mine. Their born-on date is August 1999. This is still back when they were an up-and-coming small shop with zero overseas production. I'm sure they still make a great product, but I'm happy to have a set that was made when they were a smaller company.

Have you posted any pics here? Would love to see them!

hah, you must have not lifted some of the new ones compared to other drums then. my MCX are heavy with the diecast hoops etc.

Ah, I see what you mean!

I have an early MMX with thin shells and super hoops, not die cast. Very light.

I never really understood why they put die-cast hoops on the MMX/MMP later on, I like the sound with triple-flanged.

Back