John Bonham

Bonham to the moon said:
john bonham didnt play for the who and Led Zeppelin didnt play at at the Isle of Wight

I think you maybe need to work on your reading comprehension a little. He clearly mentions Moon and says it was the Who.

maybe im just an idiot, and its 1 a clock in the morning when im reading it, but ive read the paragraph like 4 times and im still getting from it that he thinks that john bonham was playing with the who at the Isle of Wight.

Last edited:
"After many years of thinking that drumming was all about chops and technique I recently had an epiphany last year. I watched the Who at the Isle of Wight dvd a year ago and it was like the heavens opened up and Bonham cracked me over the head with a holy drumstick."

See, he was watching the DVD of Keith Moon playing with the Who at the Isle of Wight, and he was thinking how drumming is all about chops and technique, and the ghost of John Bonham came down from the heavens and bonked him on the head and said, "No, watch Moon and you'll see that's it's about passion and fire and playing your guts out!"

I had to read it six times to get that. I could be wrong.

DogBreath said:
I had to read it six times to get that. I could be wrong.

Hah, it only took me five!

But yes, that was what I arrived at too, eventually. It was quite clear he did actually know that he was watching the Who, and he mentioned Moon shortly afterwards. I ended up deciding that being as this is the Bonham thread he's probably just doing the polite thing and referencing the local deity rather than worshipping any false prophets.

lol now that I have read it sober it does sound funny. Your right DogBreath, that is what I was getting at. I always wonderd why I got C's in collage composition. And yes I know who plays with whom lol.

was bonham self taught?

just out of interest, was john bonham self taught or did he have an instructor? if he had an instructor who was he?

Re: was bonham self taught?

He was self-taught, but he did seek advice from local drummers. Never a lesson.

Re: was bonham self taught?

mostly self taught. his first 'teacher' was garry allcock (reddich) then was a guy called bill harvey (the blue star trio) who was a great influence on john in terms of finger technique and the use of triplets...although bill admits that he learned a lot from bonham through his own incredible drive to just make stuff up.

j

Bonham on Bonham - a new book is coming.

ANNOUNCING:

mick bonham has written a book on John and its coming out in february.

title:
JOHN BONHAM - THE POWERHOUSE BEHIND LED ZEPPELIN.

can't wait for it.

j

ps: lol, i feel a bit like one of our infamous members....you know the one...the guy who likes to tell everybody every detail of steve gadds life. rhyms with cowski and starts with a w....

Re: Bonham on Bonham - a new book is coming.

Thanx for that Nutha! I'll defeinately be checking it out! possibly buying a copy for a Zep addicted friend of mine!

hey, yes you can ...so i did. thanks. my rhythm mag said available on the ist feb but it was released in the states earlier. amazon rules.

j

here's the book cover
1904915116_front.jpg

Yeah they do. I love their pre-ordering feature too. Once you hear about something cool you can just preorder it instead of forgetting about it later and having your friends tell you how cool the new movie/book/CD was, in which you reply "Oh man, I was gonna get that". Super saver shipping? Don't even get me started....

I read about this in Led Zeppelin news archives going as far back as the mid 90's. I just ordered it!

NUTHA JASON said:
ps: lol, i feel a bit like one of our infamous members....you know the one...the guy who likes to tell everybody every detail of steve gadds life. rhyms with cowski and starts with a w....

haha with the whole fact that this is bonham i bet you feel like a few other members also!

oh my dear Nutha - I'm so happy for you....finally the ultimate book will arrive - with every detail, triplets - oh my god. You happy man you....

I'm sure this made your day , no, what I say: your week.....your month....

Bernhard

Now all we need is the Led Zeppelin movie. Peter Grant wrote a script in the late 80's, early 90's and shopped it around to studios for years, and it was never green-lighted. The idea of the movie died when he died. No one's heard anything about it ever since.

Maybe the script will leak one day? That'd be kinda cool.

Back