Jeff Porcaro

Give it at least a couple more listens, you won't be disappointed

Ok mate, will do. I absolutely love Aja (but then who doesn't?), but Katy Lied...well anyway. I own a number of albums which are probably good but which I just haven't devoted enough listening time to.

Would you also recommend Gaucho then?

I own a number of albums which are probably good but which I just haven't devoted enough listening time to.

Would you also recommend Gaucho then?

I have stuff a friend gave me 6 years go I have yet to get to.. so it goes.

Gaucho, what I've heard is good, but I don't own it. However, by that point Becker and Fagen were starting to quantize the drums, and when that happens my ears start to shut down, be it great music or otherwise. So I guess I'd say I'm towards Gaucho how you are towards Katy Lied.

However, I can't say enough good things about The Royal Scam.. you?

Hey guys i just watched this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=L713JWGKMHU and wow!

I never really listened to much of Jeff's playing but... wow.

I was really amazing at how much of a feel he had with ghost notes and stuff after hearing example number 2.

It sounds like 1 +a 2e+a 3 +a 4e+a 1. But when i realized it was because of his snare hits i was shocked.

He is a true groove master.

Good stuff.

In the movie "Urban Cowboy" in a few scenes Boz Scaggs's "Look What You Have Done To Me" plays. After a little searching around I found out Porcaro was the drummer. From what bits I heard of the song, it sounds good, especially the drumming parts.

Jeff Porcaro........This is the one man that has made an impact on more drummers than most care to realize! I,for one have been MASSIVELY impacted by this man's influence!
I find my self using the groove that he played on "Africa" on a lot of the stuff that i play, and i love the blues groove that he played on Toto's "All Out Of Love",you know, that triplet feel he had going that sounded like a little of Burnard Purdie's Shuffle going,kinda finesse!

If you wanna hear Jeff drive the tempo, check out...

"Taking It Back" on the album "Toto"

Right before the end. Oh, and check out the ride cymbal!

And...

"Tale Of A Man" on "Xx"

He plays with the Hi-Hats open, and still manages to accent the beat by opening the Hats some more.

Last edited:
Check Jeff on David Roberts "All dressed up".
Track no.2 "Too good to last": playing drums can't get better than this.

One word only: IN-THE-POCKET.

Well he's a very good drummer to hear, and boy can he to beauty rythms!! his single foot is so independent it's scary!.
Rest in peace Jeff, you deserve it.

That's the album I was looking for a while now, but I did not remember the name of the artist anymore. Thanks, "Alexdrum75"
Great album, I go and look for it right now.

Check Jeff on David Roberts "All dressed up".
Track no.2 "Too good to last": playing drums can't get better than this.

One word only: IN-THE-POCKET.

He was truly a gift to all of us.One of the best shuffles of all time,and his hi-hat work was and still is amazing.I miss him so much.R.I.P brother.

Jeff Porcaro...he is a really a one-of-a-kind drum master!!! I am so sorry that he is not with us anymore...One fill performed by him that make me his big fan is one on africa live...well I don't remeber, but I think that this is dvd made in 1990 or 1991...after solo before last refrein...that fill was so cool...and among others the groove on Jake to the Bone...wow...
RIP Jeff!!!

Back