Clear Remo Pinstripe As Batter And Resonant?

IReverendX

I'll be getting my new Clear Remo Pinstripe tom heads very soon and I was wondering a few things.

Would I just buy two of the exact same clear had, and use that for both batter and resonant heads? Or would a seperate head or a different type of head need to be bought for the resonant head?

Secondly, would I tune them exactly the same, or would the resonant head be tuned a bit looser or tighter?

Thanks, IReverendX.

Why not? I always use the same type of head top and bottom and love the results I get. There are no hard and fast rules as what you should use. You get to pick and choose what you like. In the 80s when Chad Wackerman was playing with Frank Zappa, his drum tech talked him into using pinstripes on the bottoms and regular ambassadors on the top. They felt that the low meatiness of the pinstripe is what the audience hears, which was more important. Makes sense if your audience is hearing your drums from directly in front and not through the sound system.

I have found that to keep from getting that de-tuned "doooommm" sound, it helps to have the resonant side just a slight bit tighter than the batter side. But full resonance really happens when both heads are tuned about the same and the drum is really speaking out.

Pinstripes are great heads. I just put my first set of them on a few days ago after being frustrated with coated G2s (I have a lower end kit if this explains anything) and they gave me the exact sound I wanted from my toms.

As far as resonant heads go, I'd personally use a clear Ambassador (I've got G1s on mine still since I don't want to change anymore heads for awhile) if you want to get a slightly more open sound, but what Bo said about Wackerman and his combo makes perfect sense as well.

Back