Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

To many in the history of this music and its innovators it is and was EXACTLY that way Jay. To Coltrane it became his own spiritual musical jazz quest through expression in music. You can hear it in every note of the emotional depth of his music and playing.

When I heard Elvin live he WAS LIVING JAZZ HISTORY no doubt about it and no faking his way onto the bandstand or the recording studio on the subject. When I heard Jack with Keith he played a solo that covered the whole history of the instrument from Baby Dodds to present..pretty deep jazz ocean.... no questionable intent or substance..again a pretty heavy and serious living history of the music from its early roots to more modern concepts seen and heard today in the music called jazz.

ALL the greats i've had the fortune to meet and chat with DO consider the music a sacred thing to respect and hopefully offer their own contribution to after they are gone...that's the truth.

As I was sayin.....

In the 80's, I, as did many others, considered Poison, Warrant, and Trixter to be nothing but watered down cheese made for the lowest common denominator, offering no substance. But no one thought it should be not called rock and roll just because it was so poorly done.

There is watered down cheese in every genre of music, and some of it might stretch the definition of the founders intentions, but it is what it is.

ALL the greats i've had the fortune to meet and chat with DO consider the music a sacred thing to respect and hopefully offer their own contribution to after they are gone...that's the truth.

Nothing is sacred. I refuse to "respect" jazz. I'll bash it all to hell to express myself, tradition be damned. I respect individuals who can play, no matter what kind of music they're putting up there, but I won't respect any "institution," not jazz, not anything.

Jazz is just a word, you know.

As I was sayin.....

In the 80's, I, as did many others, considered Poison, Warrant, and Trixter to be nothing but watered down cheese made for the lowest common denominator, offering no substance. But no one thought it should be not called rock and roll just because it was so poorly done.

There is watered down cheese in every genre of music, and some of it might stretch the definition of the founders intentions, but it is what it is.

Agreed....can't change that.

, but I won't respect any "institution," not jazz, not anything.

Its not a institution...its simply a way of life, an attitude expressed into and through music that some folks hold dearly and take seriously as important {to them}.

When I met Dexter Gordon his WHOLE being was jazz to the very core. He WAS jazz.....

Its not a institution...its simple a way of life, an a attitude expressed into and through music that some folks hold dearly and take seriously as important {to them}.

It may be to you, Stan, and to others, but I don't have to accept any definitions of what jazz is, do I? I know what it is as far as I'm concerned but I don't go around expecting everyone who plays the music to live the way I do or think the way I do. Jazz would be a pretty dreary prospect if everyone who wanted to play it had to accept one and only one interpratation of what jazz means and one approach to how to go about playing it.

I don't take jazz seriously, I'm sick and tired of jazz being self-important and being taken oh-so-seriously, like we're all in church or a monestary or something. To me, jazz is hurling bricks through the windows of the establishment, even if one of those establishments happens to be jazz itself, and throwing bricks through windows, musically speaking, is fun!

It may be to you, Stan, and to others, but I don't have to accept any definitions of what jazz is, do I? I know what it is as far as I'm concerned but I don't go around expecting eveyrone who plays the music to live the way I do or think the way I do. Jazz would be a pretty dreary prospect if everyone who wanted to play it had to accept one and only one interpratation of what jazz means and how to go about playing it.

To me, jazz is hurling bricks through the windows of the establishment, even if one of those establishments happens to be jazz.

Fair enough...already covered that jazz is a personal expression based on where you actually sit on the jazz subject for each individual... not forcing anyone to follow my path or listen to what I dig.

What I dig does mean something to me though as it does to countless other jazz players so you can get the serious results you're after to accomplish as a jazz musician which means having some depth,understanding and respect for the music in question to have some real substance to deliver at the end of the day. A very personal jazz quest and journey indeed.........

I don't take jazz seriously, I'm sick and tired of jazz being self-important and being taken oh-so-seriously, like we're all in church or a monestary or something. To me, jazz is hurling bricks through the windows of the establishment, even if one of those establishments happens to be jazz itself, and throwing bricks through windows, musically speaking, is fun!

You better take it somewhat seriously.......don't you have a high profile jazz gig to prepare for as a leader coming up Jay?

LOL!

As I was sayin.....

Abe, the answers to the question, "Is it jazz that is elitist, or do all genres of music have a sub-discourse of authenticity. "

Nothing is sacred. I refuse to "respect" jazz. I'll bash it all to hell to express myself, tradition be damned. I respect individuals who can play, no matter what kind of music they're putting up there, but I won't respect any "institution," not jazz, not anything.

Jazz is just a word, you know.
I'll have a drink to that!
Substitute any genre, including jazz, for "jazz" in the above, and I'll have yet another drink!

Its got the word Jazz in it. My next thread will be titled Jazzed Eggs with bacon, which I gurantee will run into 8 pages of comment.

Abe, are you suggesting that eggs these days are in any way jazzed?? You have got to be kidding. There is a long tradition of jazzing eggs and I can tell you, as an egg-jazzer from way back, that these days eggs are not jazzed. I won't touch 'em.

For a start, you cannot jazz cage eggs - jazzing implies freedom and the agribusiness suits who consign hens to this kind of slavery wouldn't know jazzed eggs if they fell over them. Jazzed eggs must come from hens that have been able to strut around the farmyard.

And the eggs aren't yellow enough. Truly jazzed eggs are almost orange and they are big, not these insipid little pale yellow impostor things that are full of steroids.

Thirdly, a proper jazzed egg has a lot of spices - all in carefully selected portions according to the chef, who beats the whole mess with gay abandon (not that there's anything wrong with that). A few prepackaged mixed herbs and spiced from the supermarket doesn't cut it.

So please don't try to tell me that these sad, caged, yellow, small, hormone-infested, steroid-induced, plastic spice so-called "jazzed" eggs are truly jazzed. They are mere pop eggs, the kind that any burger flipper in Maccas can produce.

And don't get me started on pop bacon from caged pigs masquerading as the real thing ...

Abe, are you suggesting that eggs these days are in any way jazzed?? You have got to be kidding. There is a long tradition of jazzing eggs and I can tell you, as an egg-jazzer from way back, that these days eggs are not jazzed. I won't touch 'em...
Oh jeez! Ha ha! Stop the madness!! I'm in tears over here!

I just listened to a few kenny g songs, i thought he might have had peter bernstein's sound, and i was well ready to defend kenny if he sounded like that but....

God, I really dislike the man's music, so sentimental...:)

Oh jeez! Ha ha! Stop the madness!! I'm in tears over here!

And well you may cry, young Mike. Badly jazzed eggs are no laughing matter!

Polly--- ROTFL, you are crazy.

( where in heck is Maccas?? )

Maccas = McDonalds in 'Strine (which = Australian).

I guess the language barrier really drives home the fact that we're talking from across the pond.

Some of jazz's roots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMMZGLPecyw

Bosphorus said:
God, I really dislike the man's music, so sentimental...:)

It's girl's music, Bos. The musical equivalent of chick flicks and rom com. That's why some of you guys find it so painful. It's too twee for me too since edgy old cows aren't into twee, but I do get it. To "get it" you need to do something akin to suspending disbelief during a schlock Hollywood film, but first you have to be willing to do so.

Last edited:
Back