WARNING: Brand spanking new drums inside

spantney

Hi all!!

I finally bit the bullet and got the new drum kit I have always wanted.

Before I post any more information I'm assuming you want pictures so here we go!

I've got 8 x 8 and 10 x 8 rack toms being made for me at the moment so I'm itching to get those

Specs are the following:

Mapex Saturn - Blue Galaxy Burst

22" x 20"
12" x 9"
16" x 14"

Snare

14" x 5.5" Mapex Black Panther Birdseye Maple

Cymbals

14" SabianAAX Stage Hats
10" Sabian AAX Splash
17" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash
17" Zildjian K Custom China
18" Zildjian A Custom Projection crash
18" Sabian AAX Stage Crash
20" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Ride

Tama Iron cobra double bass pedals + mapex hardware

Enjoy!!!! I'm an extremely happy bunny today!

Cheers!

congrats!! that's a really nice set , and a very nice selection of cymbals .

I have one question , what do you think about that stytle of tom mounting sistem compared to traditional rims .

Cheers!

Yeah I really like the tom mounting system - to be honest this is my 3rd Mapex kit so I'm used to it by now!

I dont mind the traditional rims stuff either but this works fine for me!

effing shmexy. And a wicked cymbal selection too!!!

Gotta love Saturns, I can't wait to see pics with the other toms as well!

-Jonathan

p.s. do you have page for that other drumkit I see in the backround there?

It looks beautiful. Very nice sparkle! Hope you get your 8x10 and 8x8 soon... I know what it's like to wait on new drum gear to arrive.

Those are great drums, I use to own some in the rootbeer finish.
1123081907aeditedqf4.jpg

Thanks all! They really are great sounding drums and I've barely tuned them - I'm going to do it properly this weekend - all I wanted to do last weekend was play them!!!!

I envy you on so many levels right now.

That is by far the best blue kit I've ever seen. and is that with black nickel hardware?!?

Cheers, looking forward to more pics with those new toms!

Ahhh thankyou very much. Never fear I shall be posting pics the second I get my new toms. My mate has asked me to photo my drums for a photography project so hopefully I'll be able to also get some much higher quality pics than my Kodak lol!

thanks very much - it is an absolutely amazing finish. I was going to special order a saturn in the green apple burst but after one of the guys at the drum shop showed me a single drum in the blue galaxy finish I had to have that instead! And yeah thats black nickel hardware.

Ta

Ant :)

Yeah, the black chrome hardware really makes ten times a difference on the blue galaxy burst. It just doesn't look as good with regular ol' chrome.

Beautiful kit, as always when it comes to Saturns!

Cheers all :)

Its such a lovely kit although I'm really struggling to find the sweet spot on the bass drum at the moment. I've tried it muffled, unmuffled with loads of different tunings and I can't find the punch that I know its capable of! I think when I get paid I shall invest in a new batter head. Probably chuck a Powersonic on there as thats what I've got on my 22 x 18 Pro-M and that kicks like a mule!!!!!

In other news I got a 6" Zil-bel and another Tama Iron Cobra pedal yesterday. Zil-bel is now proudly attached to the Saturn and my new cobra was a present for my electronic drums as my old sonor pedal was on its last legs lol

As for news on the Toms - the guys have absolutely no idea but Mapex are apparently being very quick with their custom orders at the moment. Around 4-5 weeks rather than 6-8.

Don't worry I shall whore the thread with new pictures as soon as they arrive hehe.

Cheers all :)

Its such a lovely kit although I'm really struggling to find the sweet spot on the bass drum at the moment. I've tried it muffled, unmuffled with loads of different tunings and I can't find the punch that I know its capable of! I think when I get paid I shall invest in a new batter head. Probably chuck a Powersonic on there as thats what I've got on my 22 x 18 Pro-M and that kicks like a mule!!!!!

Grab an Evans Emad batter or an Aquarian Superkick II.
You shouldn't need any other muffling after that.

Very nice looking kit. Saturns have a great tone to them. Congrats.

Grab an Evans Emad batter or an Aquarian Superkick II.
You shouldn't need any other muffling after that.

Very nice looking kit. Saturns have a great tone to them. Congrats.

Yeah I was looking at the Aquarian Superkicks, I've heard good things about them. I take it the SuperKick II is a more dampened version of the SuperKick I?

Thanks, its a beautiful finish and you should see it in real life, the pictures really don't do it justice!!! :D

Hi Spatney.

Now they are nice drums. I say that as they are exactly the same as mine.

I to have the blue sparkle burst, smokey hard ware.

I got

14x5.5
10x8
12x9
16x16
22x18

Did orginally order up the 22x20, but on 2nd thought realised i did not have the room to transport it around, so went for the 22x18.

On my toms i use Remo pinstripes.

On my bass drum, i have the Evans emad, works well. I also have an Aquirian superkick 1but use my Emad 99% of the time.

I also could not find the punch i needed from my bass drum, so i cut two port holes low down on the reso head, pillow inside, also put a wooden mallett in my Iron cobra kick.

When i reharesed next, i neally blew the bass player through the wall (tongue in cheek).

Yes they certainlly noticed the differance, so much so that now i have gone back to the hammer that comes with the cobra. The drum does have a nice punch thou.

I am thrilled with my saturns, i love the way they resonate. I always damped and ringed my Exports, but took all that of my Saturns, no damping, and they sing beautifull.

That colour you have is a lovely choice, they sparkle lovely under the lights.

I think i have met you also, about 4 weeks ago in SOS PMT posiblly, had my 2 kids running riot, may of been you talking to the young sales guy about Saturns, and that he currently had the Pro series. Then again maybe not.

If you ever put Evans G heads on your Saturns let me know, would love to know what they would sound like with those heads on..

Find the 14x5.5 snare a little harsh, so now play a sonor 13x7"

Hi Spatney.

Now they are nice drums. I say that as they are exactly the same as mine.

I to have the blue sparkle burst, smokey hard ware.

I got

14x5.5
10x8
12x9
16x16
22x18

Did orginally order up the 22x20, but on 2nd thought realised i did not have the room to transport it around, so went for the 22x18.

On my toms i use Remo pinstripes.

On my bass drum, i have the Evans emad, works well. I also have an Aquirian superkick 1but use my Emad 99% of the time.

I also could not find the punch i needed from my bass drum, so i cut two port holes low down on the reso head, pillow inside, also put a wooden mallett in my Iron cobra kick.

When i reharesed next, i neally blew the bass player through the wall (tongue in cheek).

Yes they certainlly noticed the differance, so much so that now i have gone back to the hammer that comes with the cobra. The drum does have a nice punch thou.

I am thrilled with my saturns, i love the way they resonate. I always damped and ringed my Exports, but took all that of my Saturns, no damping, and they sing beautifull.

That colour you have is a lovely choice, they sparkle lovely under the lights.

I think i have met you also, about 4 weeks ago in SOS PMT posiblly, had my 2 kids running riot, may of been you talking to the young sales guy about Saturns, and that he currently had the Pro series. Then again maybe not.

If you ever put Evans G heads on your Saturns let me know, would love to know what they would sound like with those heads on..

Find the 14x5.5 snare a little harsh, so now play a sonor 13x7"

Yes I think I remember. I was actually purchasing the kit at the time I believe I and remember Nathan (the young guy at PMT) saying you had bought a saturn :)

I don't actually play with evans heads (apart from my kick reso is an EQ3). I'm a massive Remo Emperor fan (I have them on all 3 of my acoustic kits) and they sound fantastic. The drums sing beautifully. They aren't muffled like pinstripes but if I ever need to I'll put a little moongel on there.

As for the kick I've been recommended an Aquarian superkick II by 3 people now so I think I'll go with that and see how that turns out. My 14 x 5.5 Black Panther is beautiful and it really cuts through the mix, although my Pro-M 14 x 5.5 is possibly the harshest sounding snare ever. A couple of sound engineers at gigs have told me its the most aggressive snare they've ever heard which I think is brilliant :D

Cheers :D

Back