Grant Collins

drummer girl09

Does any one know much on this guy? He's ok, I've seen a couple vids on him. One of the vids was just mainly percussion I thought, and with his interview. The other, was a vid on here, and he just does what it seems to me, like a bunch of fils you would do to end a song...which was good, but he calls himself a "rock drummer" and I haven't seen any real rock drumming except for the two minute fils he played which showed no technique at all, I think. Just him hittin the stuff really fast. Any one else have an opinion on him?

Does any one know much on this guy? He's ok, I've seen a couple vids on him. One of the vids was just mainly percussion I thought, and with his interview. The other, was a vid on here, and he just does what it seems to me, like a bunch of fils you would do to end a song...which was good, but he calls himself a "rock drummer" and I haven't seen any real rock drumming except for the two minute fils he played which showed no technique at all, I think. Just him hittin the stuff really fast. Any one else have an opinion on him?

He's ok?! "Just mainly percussion" "Just him hittin the stuff really fast"

Have you even seen the man's independence?! It's ridiculous! And i don't know where you got "Just him hittin the stuff really fast" from! He's one of the most musical drummers out there!

Ps. He can get a little bit sloppy sometimes, though.

I REALLY didn't mean to offend any one, and lately I have been doing that, it seems. Yes, Grant is really musical in his playing. But yeah, he can be sloppy some times is mostly what I meant. But again, I have only seen 2 vids of him, and have might of spoke to soon. On the interview with him that I watched, he does seem like a neat guy, I forgot to mention on the last post. So my apologies.

I REALLY didn't mean to offend any one, and lately I have been doing that, it seems. Yes, Grant is really musical in his playing. But yeah, he can be sloppy some times is mostly what I meant. But again, I have only seen 2 vids of him, and have might of spoke to soon. On the interview with him that I watched, he does seem like a neat guy, I forgot to mention on the last post. So my apologies.

What are you apologising for? The point of this place is to voice opinions - I would tend to agree with you on Grant Collins. Of what I've seen/heard, I've found his playing to be a little 'gratuitous', lacking a bit of depth or soul. Technically outstanding for sure, but there always needs to be a little more....

Yes, Grant is really musical in his playing. But yeah, he can be sloppy some times is mostly what I meant. But again, I have only seen 2 vids of him, and have might of spoke to soon.

I feel just the opposite - I think he is sound on technique but lacks in musicality (his solos just don't seem captivating enough) . I'm more with Jones on this.

I just checked him out after seeing this thread, mmmmm not sure what to think really, I pretty much agree with jones on this one but I need to watch more of his stuff.

Like a lot of technical drummers his solo's just fall short of being interesting, he rarely seems to hit on a nice beat that you actually want to listen too, it's all complex weirdness without a hook of any kind. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, just not my cup of tea, I also get bored watching Bozio and Mangini solo's.

He has potential for sure, but I guess his type of playing doesn't interest me much. But I don't know much about him. When I heard him on the interview, he seemed like he new a lot about drumming, the differant genres, and technique actually. But when I saw him play, I wasn't impressed much. I think he needs to show more of a beat then to do play all the different fills, and kind of percussion. Does he even play in a band?

He's making a name for himself among the ostinato drumming crowd. Kind of a Terry Bozzio for the new generation. He's actually quite good. I've never seen anyone play Wilcoxon's 144th on kicks before.

He has potential for sure, but I guess his type of playing doesn't interest me much. But I don't know much about him. When I heard him on the interview, he seemed like he new a lot about drumming, the differant genres, and technique actually. But when I saw him play, I wasn't impressed much. I think he needs to show more of a beat then to do play all the different fills, and kind of percussion. Does he even play in a band?

Potential for what? To get to an extreme level of independence like him says a lot. It may not be your thing, which is fine. The videos are solo's. Some drummers play better in a band then in solo's. His style of drumming (solo's) are focused on what can blow your mind as opposed to cool beats. And some drummers just may not do it for you no matter how good they are. Look at Dom Famularo............people go on about how great a teacher he is..........but his solo's focus on fast double bass and lots of cymbals............so 80's rock drummer style.......just has never impressed me. So its all opinion really.

My store just hosted a clinic with him tonight. Nicest dude you could ever meet.

His level of independence is out of this world. He demonstrated a fairly basic exercise he uses, where he plays 2 against 3 against 4 against 5 on each limb, and then takes it a step further and plays 2 against 3 against 5 against 7.

He also did about half an hour on breaking down a basic samba groove: adding other rhythms on one limb, playing the groove between different limbs (hands playing what the feet are etc..), using it in a rock context and finally as a bombastic fill. The solo he played was very tasty as well, technically outstanding but also very groovy.

I'll put some pictures up when I'm finished going through them all.

Back